Has anyone determined what triggers the double-ding?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Re: Has anyone determined what triggers the double-ding?

Post by Peobody »

wiscocyclist wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:52 pm Note - if you set proximity alerts to single tone it at least only double dings you once....
I don't have such an option. My research shows that other devices have a Proximity Alert option under Settings > Driver Assistance but I haven't found anything specific to the XT.

I have had a couple of go-arounds with tech support. They always win by aggravating, deflecting, claiming "no other reports of the problem", etc. I give them kudos only for being responsive in replacing a defective unit.
wiscocyclist wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:52 pm And I somehow think that none of the zumo developers actually ride a motorcycle.
That is an understatement. I also suspect that individual developers aren't working with a complete understanding of the product and there isn't oversight that handles this critical component of development.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
wiscocyclist
United States of America

Post by wiscocyclist »

Peobody wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:18 pm I don't have such an option. My research shows that other devices have a Proximity Alert option under Settings > Driver Assistance but I haven't found anything specific to the XT.
The setting for a single tone is under Settings/Driver Assistance/Proximaity Alerts/Audio/Single Tone (or Off).

I wonder.. it's possible that the setting is only there if you have Garmin Red Light cameras or Custom POI's installed.. hmmm.. If you do not have that, then try installing a custom POI file. To do so, you'll need the POI Loader App from Garmin
Windows - https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... jsp?id=927
Mac - https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... sp?id=3697

The mac version has some bugs in it, you cannot see the name of the POI file so you do not know which file to set proximity alerts on. Because of this I use windows to load my POI files. There are tons of them out there, I mostly find them on POI factory
http://www.poi-factory.com/

While garmin's POI's are useful, for specific places (say Culvers ;) ) they are lacking. So I have the Culvers POI loaded. One of my favorites is Offbeat Tourist Attractions. I have alert tones set for that so I know when I'm approaching one. Which is why I don't want to turn off POI tones, but like you I'm getting hit with the double ding when approaching school zones even though I have that set to "off"

Let me know if you see that option.. if not, try loading even a single small POI file

Mike
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

wiscocyclist wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:31 pm I wonder.. it's possible that the setting is only there if you have Garmin Red Light cameras or Custom POI's installed.. hmmm..
This is the conclusion I came to after researching my school zone proximity alert issue.
wiscocyclist wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:31 pm but like you I'm getting hit with the double ding when approaching school zones even though I have that set to "off".
I'm confused. I thought you had been able to change it to a single ding. Regardless, I don't see any reason to add a POI file if I still can't turn off the school zone proximity alert.

I suspect that I hear other proximity alerts in the form of random single dings. It really is a shame that Garmin didn't provide a way to selectively disable proximately alerts like they did with rider alerts. Even easier would have been to have proximity alerts adhere to its associated rider alert setting of enabled or disabled.
wiscocyclist
United States of America

Post by wiscocyclist »

Just to be clear.. it does a double ding but just once....
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have installed a custom POI file. This made the a "Proximity Alerts" option available in Settings > Driver Assistance. In that option is two sub-options. One is named "Audio( Alerts near proximity points)" and contains the choices of "Single Tone", "Continuous Tone", and "Off". The other is named "Alerts (Type of Alerts)" in which is the option to enable/disable alerts for "Custom POIs". I was really hoping that School Zones would also be an option but no joy.

There isn't a combination that would disable school zone alerts while allowing other alerts. The best that can be accomplished is to minimize its annoyance by setting the Audio setting to "Single Tone" as stated by @wiscocyclist.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I've tried to follow along but as usual got lost trying to translate. Was it determined that there's no way to turn off this 'double ding'. I'm on the road as these are very annoying.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

No - various suspicions, but nothing confirmed. However there is a slider in the volume mixer that can silence such things. 4th one Down

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:24 pm No - various suspicions, but nothing confirmed. However there is a slider in the volume mixer that can silence such things. 4th one Down
I set this at 50% (the others mixer options are at 100%). In addition, I added a Custom POI file (rest areas with restrooms) to enable the Proximity alerts option. I there I configured for single tone. I am no longer bothered by double-dings but I really don't know which action alleviated them. I would start with adjusting the volume for proximity alerts unless hearing other alerts is important.