Has anyone determined what triggers the double-ding?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Has anyone determined what triggers the double-ding?

Post by jfheath »

Ok - clutching at straws here.

switch the device to be based in uk. I think it is in the hidden system menu - long press the circular speedo.
when it is set to uk investigate the rider alerts in cities outside cities and make sure that the all if the options do not allow a warning. eg none, over the limit, 5mph over.

Check the other uk options too fo any differences. Then cold reboot the machine. Check they are still remain set. Then chnage the Xt back to USA. And check all of the dinging alerts are set as they should be.

As I say - clutching at straws

Another straw to clutch at. It isn't BT Connecting / Disconnecting is it ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:07 pm Ok - clutching at straws here.

switch the device to be based in uk. I think it is in the hidden system menu - long press the circular speedo.
when it is set to uk investigate the rider alerts in cities outside cities and make sure that the all if the options do not allow a warning. eg none, over the limit, 5mph over.

Check the other uk options too fo any differences. Then cold reboot the machine. Check they are still remain set. Then chnage the Xt back to USA. And check all of the dinging alerts are set as they should be.
Done! I will see what tomorrow's riding brings.
jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:07 pm Another straw to clutch at. It isn't BT Connecting / Disconnecting is it ?
Definitely not. The repeating tone is two dings within one second followed by one second of silence followed by two dings within one second followed by one second of silence.....
The duration of this repeating pattern varies. I can't get a handle on what it is based on. My only hunch is map inaccuracies regarding school zone locations and/or size.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ah, maps. Ive just noticed you are in NC. I probably noticed before and forgot. Russ rbentnail is in NC and I spent a long time exchanging emails and info as he was having all sorts of routing problems. I eventually downloaded some OSM maps of his area and superimposed his routes onto Basecamp and then created tracks so that I could see his routes on Google Earth. Some if the roads that he was riding didn't exist. I used the feature to display earlier images and on street view and discovered that traces of these roads were visible 10 years ago, but the roads themselves must have been out of action for much longer than that.

Point is - Nc mapping does not appear to be very up to date. The OSM maps are unlikely to have school zone info built into them, so it might be worth the effort to try and get hold of an area to see if the pinging stops when they are turned on and the garmin maps are turned off. I don't know where to get them from now, as my source at the time seems to be no longer working.

Which reminds me .... I was going to do this to see if the faster route navigation issue remained.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have figured out the double-ding issue!
It IS associated with the "Schools" Rider Alert.
When that alert is enabled, the double-ding audible is heard in conjunction with the display of the visual school alert.
When that alert is disabled, the visual alert gets disabled but the audible alert doesn't.

I am withholding another rant about Garmin developers. Besides, AFAIK there isn't a common sense school to send them to.

John, the Garmin maps have school zones. Some appear missing (no alerts), and some are misplaced (alerts well away from the school), but they are there, unfortunately without consideration for school hours or whether school is in or out of session.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I used to this issue!

Schools and animal crossing areas

I can't remember what I did to stop it happening though :?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've just been searching too, mainly because I noticed I was getting a double ding as I approached speed limit changes and couldn't turn it off. However, in the volume mixer, there is a separate slider for proximity alerts. You don't notice it because the landscape screen shows 3 sliders, and it is the 4th one that is scrolled off the bottom.

Yeeha. I'd forgotten about that. Slide it fully left.

How did you find the misplaced school proximity alerts. Is there a way to see them on normal tools ?

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:11 pmI've just been searching too, main,y because I noticed I was getting a double ding as I approached speed limit changes and couldn't turn it off. However, in the volume mixer, there is a separate slider for proximity alerts. You don't notice it because the landscape screen shows 3 sliders, and it is the 4th one that is scrolled off the bottom.

Yeeha. I'd forgotten about that. Slide it fully left.
It this silences it, find a pretty girl to kiss you, and them have a beer!
jfheath wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:11 pm How did you find the misplaced school proximity alerts. Is there a way to see them on normal tools ?
It's not that I "find" them, it's just that the double-dings occur well before or after the physical location of the school, or sometimes when there is no school in sight.
lkraus
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 98 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I've had some school alerts on local roads where I was sure no school existed. Searching Google maps, I found one was a private religious school in a shopping mall, another must have been a day care center. I never saw any road signs indicating a legal school zone.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Turning the volume down for proximity alerts silenced the double dings. Get yourself that kiss and beer John.

I remain astounded that Garmin decided not to disable the proximity alerts that are associated with disabled rider alerts so the only way to do so is to silence all proximity alerts.
wiscocyclist
United States of America

Post by wiscocyclist »

Hi Peabody.. been following this thread as I have the same issue and when I get alerts it disconnects my intercom briefly.

The downside to disabling alerts is that I use proximity alerts for other things (I have a bunch of Custom POI's installed) where I want to be alerted when I'm near a custom POI.

*RANT ON*
Best thing to do is report this to Garmin as a bug (It obviously is, since you can turn off school zone alerts, but they come through anyway). Sadly, Garmin has no way to report bugs easily without going through the rigamarole of contacting tech support.

This then means that you have to listen to them ask you if you rebooted, updated your device, yada yada yada. I'm in tech for a living. I don't need you to tell me all the basics. This was an interesting read about Garmin in general which I completely agree with

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/06/com ... ent-page-1

You can ask for "new features" here..
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/
Why they don't have something like that to report bugs is beyond me.

That is now where I report bugs multiple times. I preface my comment with "THIS IS A BUG REPORT". Of course not sure if anyone actually *READS* these. And I somehow think that none of the zumo developers actually ride a motorcycle. I was stunned when they removed the moving weather map WHILE you are moving somehow thinking that it will distract you, when actually interacting with the GPS while riding doesn't distract you.

*RANT OFF*

Note - if you set proximity alerts to single tone it at least only double dings you once....