Has anyone determined what triggers the double-ding?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Has anyone determined what triggers the double-ding?

Post by jfheath »

Well, I tried ? !

I don't think that the Drive App will be the source of the dings. I think it is more likely to be passing on information between your phone and your XT. If you stop Drive from functioning and the dings still happen, then the only other route that I can think of is other sounds from your phone going direct to the XT by BT. You've set up the XT to behave like a set of BT headphones so the phone will pass all sound out in to the XT. (The XT in turn passes sound out to the actual headphones).

My comments are suggestions to try. I'm not saying this is what it is - I am merely saying what it could be.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:50 am My comments are suggestions to try. I'm not saying this is what it is - I am merely saying what it could be.
Understood! I don't report back to prove you wrong but in the hopes the some setting, or some comment, may lead to the Aha moment.

What remains stuck with me is that the recalc issue and the double-ding issue are new within the last few months, along with how the insistence on illogical routing over expressways seems to have noticeably worsened seems to coincide with the 6.50 firmware. I plan on trying to revert to the previous version once I am home and settled. I probably won't be doing much riding for awhile though so I'm not sure whether I will give the previous version much of a test in the short term.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Today and yesterday was the first real test for me relying entirely on the XT to get me to where I wanted to go, based on an original Basecamp route. I tried with auto recalc enabled and without. Neither with any great success.

The bugbear every time was to do with needing to Skip a point that I had put in as a suggested stop, and the XT insisting on re-calculating the whole route, not just the current section. This meant that later sections of the route were altered, and now unrecognisable to me. ie I didn't know where it was taking me.

I had tracks visible, but the wider setting to make it show under the route was not the brilliant idea that I thought. it is too wide, and when left to navigate just using the track on the map, it is not as easy to see the road underneath.

I'm wondering whether converting a track to a trip is the way to go. Spoken instructions and it stays put. But I know that method has issues in some circumstances.

Not complaining here at all. I'm still trying to find out the best way to use this Kit. I like Morgan Freeman's comment in the film 'Chain Reaction' which I have modified to suit my purposes: "Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work."

I think I might make that my signature.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Scottnet »

Reverting to converting tracks to route really does make a joke of the XT routing.

I have tried that and it started well, but then it recalculated when I turned the unit off and on and it recalculated the route from the beginning to end of track ignoring the track.

Would be interested in your findings..
groundhog719
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by groundhog719 »

jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:25 am I reckon that it may be one of these. Note the various settings for both inside the city and outside - different amounts of lee-way.

The alternative is that it is relaying pings from your phone and has nothing to do with the XT at all.
I do not have the "Inside / Outside the City" nor the "Over Speed Limit" options !?
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

groundhog719 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:28 pm I do not have the "Inside / Outside the City" nor the "Over Speed Limit" options !?
The "Inside / Outside the City" option is not on the U.S. Garmins.
The "Over Speed Limit" option is called "Speeding Alert" and is on the first page of "Driver Assistance" options.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:27 pm Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.

I think I might make that my signature.
ROFL!!!!!
My wife wanted to know what was so funny. I didn't know how to explain it so just said "John the Garmin guru" and left it at that.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Rode 167 miles in Illinois today (rural, West Bend, WI to Kankakee, IL staying well west of Milwaukee and Chicago) and heard the double-ding so often that I lost count. It was over twelve times, occurring at various durations and I think some even had a different tempo. After the first occurrence I pulled over and turned off my phone. That did not stop them so that rules out the phone as the source.

At this point I give an 80% probability that the alerts are related to school zones but not to speed, whether in a school zone or not). I say "80%" because that is how often about the percentage of times that I could associate a school zone with the occurrence of the double-dings. It is definitely not related to speed because one the them started while I was stop-n-going in construction traffic. The duration of the double-ding sessions varied from around 15 seconds to as long as several minutes. Most started well before the start of the school zone and several stopped well before the end of the school zone. Few corresponded closely with the actual school zone begin and end signs (this could be due to map inaccuracies). School is not is session so it if this is indeed a school zone alert, school sessions are not being taken into consideration.

The 20% that seemed to occur for no reason leave me baffled.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:07 am At this point I give an 80% probability that the alerts are related to school zones but not to speed, whether in a school zone or not).
You can turn all if these off on the Uk settings in Driver Assistance. They are annoying - dinging every time I approach a bend.

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:06 pm You can turn all if these off on the Uk settings in Driver Assistance. They are annoying - dinging every time I approach a bend.
All of thee options in Driver Assistance have been off for awhile except Route Preview and Automatic Incident Detection. All Rider Alerts are disabled.
This is what is driving me crazy. The "Schools" alert option is not ticked yet the double-ding alerts seem to be associated with schools. More occurred today. My XT has been rebooted several times. I have gone so far as to enable the Schools alert, reboot, disable it, and reboot again but the double-dings continue.