How do you "normally" joining the route from the middle?

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

How do you "normally" joining the route from the middle?

Post by Fxwheels »

So I was riding around the state and remembered that somewhere in that area I have a planned route which I've followed few weeks ago and it's still in my nav. I was about a half way from the start of it and wanted to join from where I am, at about 5 miles from it. So I clicked on the planned rout and oh.. how do I join it from where here? The XT has "Closest route entry" which is not on the 396. If you set on navigating to the destination, it will take you straight there bypassing the entire route.

One way I know, is to find a nearest shaping point on map, convert it to a Via point and let nav starting from it. But there was like 20 or more shaping points passed and I had to count them all on the map from start to where I want to enter, then go back one step and count the same number to that shaping point for converting it. This process is very tedious. Easy to lose the count while constantly advancing the screen. You need to find a place to stop and it all takes time.

Another option, in case if you don't have a shaping point somewhere near, in theory you can set it on the screen, and then go back to perform the above procedure. Problem is that if you have many shaping points already, it won't let you put another one (it's a bug. I don't know the number of shaping points after which this bug kicks in)
But, I didn't bother. I followed the map to get to the route. Maybe at that point if I set to the End, it would navigate the route. But I was upset about the fact that I need getting to this route by myself having this "sophisticated" nav, and forgot to try that. I just opened the track and followed it.
What would be (or was) your solution in this situation?
Fxwheels
United States of America

Re: How do you "normally" joining the route from the middle?

Post by Fxwheels »

Update.
I see no one replied since I've posted it so I guess people didn't got into this situation. I've done another test and had these results.

If you want to start your route not from the beginning (maybe because you're far from the starting point), but you're somewhat far from the route itself (magenta line) say over half a mile. The nav will ask if you want to start from the via point or go to the end. Of course if you choose a via point as a starting point - it will take you straight there and will continue on your route. Now, if you don't have a via point and choosing the Finish - it will take you straight to finish disregarding the entire route. This is not what you really want. You intent to start from the nearest entry on the magenta line that is closest to you. The nav is not smart enough to understand it.
You need to get as close as possible to the route by following the map. When you get to your route or few meters from it, only then you can select the Finish point and the 396 will take you down the planned route.

Side note: If you create a route in the unit, all your points will be set as via points.
But no matter where you've created the route, do not convert via to the shaping points (although this good option exists) because it will completely change your route. Some points will be placed not too far from your original ones, but others can be completely off, and can even change the entire route.
Converting from shaping to via points (if that location is important for you to stop, etc...) will work fine.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Ok, what I do is not try to join the route. Here's how:

"Pull up" the map, import it, whatever you have to do, and press go. When the device is done pick go to enter the active routing mode. I then touch the screen, zoom in and pick a point near the active route. Either of my devices will ask do I want to make this a new destination, a new route or the next stop in the route. I pick the last. The device will recalculate as if I entered a via point then continue on the existing route.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:00 pm Ok, what I do is not try to join the route. Here's how:

"Pull up" the map, import it, whatever you have to do, and press go. When the device is done pick go to enter the active routing mode. I then touch the screen, zoom in and pick a point near the active route. Either of my devices will ask do I want to make this a new destination, a new route or the next stop in the route. I pick the last. The device will recalculate as if I entered a via point then continue on the existing route.
Are you sure it works in 396? On a Nivi or Montana you can touch the screen and have it go there. I agree.
On 396 I know this would work if the route is active and I'm on it and want to select a POI somewhere off the road. But just by selecting a route and picking a point near it... IDK. What devices do you have? On the XT you can solve it by selecting a "closest entry".
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I don't know about the 396. The XT closest point entry setup is crap, never has worked for me. My nuvi and 595 will put me on the route as described above, the XT will not without a work around.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Agree. The Nuvi and 595 work as you described, but not 396. As I said before, they "upgrading" the unit with no regards for carrying over some useful features. Beats me. It's like every time they do an "upgrade" they change the number (or the name) and write a completely new software instead of taking the existing one and update it with some new features (if really needed).
396 is smaller to the XT minus the resolution & bigger screen and some minor features like absence of "closest entry point" which is not always work right anyway. So yes, both aren't perfect and many people are not happy with neither, but these are the latest on the market. Many are going back to older and proven ones like 595/6 or even Nuvi.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

This is 2 months down the line.

One of the reasons that I started adding the mileage to each of my route points (Shaping and Via) was because I was going to Europe on roads that were brand new to me and in places where town names were just odd collections of letters. I didn't recognise them. I had no idea where they were in relation to anything else.

If I reset my trip meter at the start of each days ride, then I would have some idea where I was in relation to the names of the points that I had used.
eg if the trip says 90 miles for today, and my next route point is 123 Guestreville, then wherever that place is, I know that it is still 33 miles away.

Does the 396 have a 'Skip' facility ?

If so, and you have used the recommendation that you use Via Points only for just after each stopping place, and use Shaping points for the rest, then restart the route. Select the last stopping place (easily spotted if you check yoour trip meter against the name of the Via point), and then press Skip for as many times as is necessary for the name of the point being skipped to show a mileage greater than your trip meter.

An alternative, if you haven't put the milage on the front of each point, is to press skip until the satnav navigates you forward in the direction you want to go, rather than back in the dircetion from which you have just traveled.

Another alternative is to use the trip planner to change the next shaping point ahead into a Via point. Then start the route and the new point will appear as one of the alternative destinations.

Apologies if any of these features do not work on the 396 - I don't know the 396, but they are pretty standard features for devices with the trip planner app.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

jfheath wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:57 pm
Another alternative is to use the trip planner to change the next shaping point ahead into a Via point. Then start the route and the new point will appear as one of the alternative destinations.
This is what I do. However... I have to count the number of shaping points from the beginning to where I am, then go back to the trip planner screen and count the shaping points there again in order to get to this point number and change it to a Via point. This is tedious task to do as I normally have large number of shaping points and there's a good chance for a miscounting and starting over.... (again and again). Takes a valuable time on the trip.
If the shaping points were numbered, it would be very easy to x-ref them in the map screen against the trip planner. But... another wishful thing among others.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes, that is why I number them either a sequence number, or a mileage.

The trouble is the XT will often rename the route points on transfer, losing the numbers - unless I create them as Waypoints first. *** It's tedious, but worth it to avoid having to go through the "I'm lost at the roadside in pouring rain trying to work out where I am, cos if I get it wrong its going to be taking me a long way out of my way and I'm really very cold right now, my visor has misted up and got rain on the inside and a big drop has just gone down the back of my neck, and I want to go to sleep" scenario.

I hardly ever actually need them - but when I do, I'm glad that I spent the time.

*** I discovered that MyRouteApp routes do NOT change the names - which is interesting

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Oh, so you're numbering them in the Basecamp?
It's an additional step but I'll try and see if it'll work.
Thanks, I'll circle back to you (as Jen Psaki used to say :))