Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Re: Frustrating last hour of ride with XT

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:29 pm
lkraus wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:30 pmIt may also help to choose the "Widest" track option on the same wrench menu where you check the box to display on map.
I verified this as well, several times. "Widest" was always selected.
This is not reassuring. What color was assigned to the track and do you think a different color would have made any difference?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:22 am
rbentnail wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:29 pm
lkraus wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:30 pmIt may also help to choose the "Widest" track option on the same wrench menu where you check the box to display on map.
I verified this as well, several times. "Widest" was always selected.
This is not reassuring. What color was assigned to the track and do you think a different color would have made any difference?
I had red selected. I tried black, same result.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

:(

Russ, let me confirm one thing. When the track was not visible, had the XT recalculated so that the route line was different from the track line?
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

rbentnail wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:24 pm
Fxwheels wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:06 pmAs for the fastest/shortest, I always put as many shaping points as possible to force the nav calculating the route the same way, be it fastest or shortest. Shaping points aren't announced and ignored if bypassed so you can set as many as you want.
I'm a firm believer in the liberal use of shaping points. On yesterday's ride I had to insert 6 points to get straight through the small city I mentioned earlier.
If you had points to go through that street, the nav WILL take you there by default. Unless of course you deviated from the planned route so it recalculated around it.
But, maybe you need to reinstall/update the software.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:57 pm :(

Russ, let me confirm one thing. When the track was not visible, had the XT recalculated so that the route line was different from the track line?

I tried different ways including stopping the route. The track was visible only when zoomed way in.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Fxwheels wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:01 pm
rbentnail wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:24 pm
Fxwheels wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:06 pmAs for the fastest/shortest, I always put as many shaping points as possible to force the nav calculating the route the same way, be it fastest or shortest. Shaping points aren't announced and ignored if bypassed so you can set as many as you want.
I'm a firm believer in the liberal use of shaping points. On yesterday's ride I had to insert 6 points to get straight through the small city I mentioned earlier.
If you had points to go through that street, the nav WILL take you there by default. Unless of course you deviated from the planned route so it recalculated around it.
But, maybe you need to reinstall/update the software.
I had to add a rediculous number of points to go 10 blocks thru town. Otherwise the device repeatedly wanted to bypass town.

According to Garmin Express everything was up to date. I checked that before the ride.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:29 am I tried different ways including stopping the route. The track was visible only when zoomed way in.
What I am wondering is whether the route line was on top of the track line because what you describe is what I saw in my test. What I never got to see is what the track and route lines look like after a recalc when the route no longer follows the track.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

And the routing stupidity gets worse. The XT thought that there was a road closure in the Austrian Alps, so not many other routes to choose from. So, it decides on another route which looked a little excessive to me, so I chose another one. Started down it to be told that the road closure was on the road I'd chosen and not on the one the XT said. So, followed the police advice and went along the road the XT originally wanted to before the road closure notification. Got the "do a U-turn when possible" to get me to go onto its chosen route, and it continued after the place where the road was closed (and was still showing as such in the traffic info). So, it wanted me to go back on myself on a road it said was closed!

Also noticed, when it's doing its f--kwittery, that it asks if you want to skip the next waypoint, not the one that you've just missed / it's ignored.

Zumo XT, so good when you're doing what it wants to, otherwise an unhelpful waste of space :cry:
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Oop North John wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:04 pm Zumo XT, so good when you're doing what it wants to, otherwise an unhelpful waste of space :cry:
Agreed! My problems with it are associated with recalculation and have only occurred since the last firmware update (6.50). Prior to that I was extremely pleased and was working on how to fully utilize it. Now I just hope that it gets me to my destination without any drama.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Software updates can be hit or miss thing. Sometimes it'll work better and other times may be worse. Frankly, I'm not sure if they're even testing it when they can test on us in real time, and after will come up with another update a bit later :)