question after upgrading map on computer

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

question after upgrading map on computer

Post by rufasim »

I just got my Garmin XT earlier this year, first Garmin GPS. I learned how to use basecamp and I really like it. When I hooked up the device for the first time it installed city map 2022 into basecamp. I just upgraded to city map 2023 in basecamp. How will this affect the routes I have all ready made? 2022 is still installed so I am guessing that nothing will change but going further it will make my new routes using 2023. Is this correct or will my old routes be upgraded using the new maps? I hope this makes sense cause it does in my head
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: question after upgrading map on computer

Post by sussamb »

Connecting your device doesn't install the map to your PC, you need to select the relevant option in Express to do that. What you may have this confused with is BaseCamp, the first time you connect your device, indexing the map so you can use it but it requires your device to be connected to view the map.

As for routes, when maps update some routes may be fine, others will require a recalculation either in BaseCamp or on the device. You'll spot those as they'll consist of a series of straight lines.
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by rufasim »

I did load the new map, 2023, through express. On the pull down menu on the top left that shows the maps I have both 2022 and 2023. My question is this, will my old routes be upgraded to the new map or should I just recalc all the routes for the change
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

As I posted above, some routes will be fine, some will need a recalculation. You can tell which as I also explained.