"Road Ahead Closed"

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
mike_walker
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

"Road Ahead Closed"

Post by mike_walker »

So, firstly a massive thanks @jfheath - I've just read your guide to the XT & Basecamp and found it brilliant.

So, my question is on route avoidances on the XT. We've all been there, happily leading some fellow bikers around the country lanes, the route all nicely planned in Basecamp and transferred to the XT as per the "JFHealth best practice". Suddenly you see a sign "Road Ahead Closed", which you naturally ignore because 75% of the time either the road isn't closed or what they really mean is "closed to cars but actually a bike can get past". But this time, in the wilds of Scotland, the burly Scot standing in the road looks at you with that "why have you ignored all the signs, you idiot" glare and cheerfully informs you that, yes, the road really is shut for the next 3 hrs.

So - I want to mark the road as blocked immediately in front of me on the XT and get it to find the best alternative route to, say, the next Via Point (rather than the shaping point a few hundred years past the road closed sign). Ideally one could tell the XT "Road immediately in front blocked, please find alternative route to the following route point of my choice".

Any ideas?
CollingsBob
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 21 times
Canada

Re: "Road Ahead Closed"

Post by CollingsBob »

Certified JB Welder
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

mike_walker wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:16 pm So - I want to mark the road as blocked immediately in front of me on the XT and get it to find the best alternative route to, say, the next Via Point (rather than the shaping point a few hundred years past the road closed sign). Ideally one could tell the XT "Road immediately in front blocked, please find alternative route to the following route point of my choice".
Now - I have never used this while a route is actually in progress, but there are two tools on the XT which might do what you want.

Settings -> Navigation -> Custom Avoidances.

You can choose to avoid an area - a rectangle that you plot on the map using one corner and the diagonally opposite corner.
Or you can choose to avoid a road, by selecting the start point that you want to avoid and the end point.

It would be useful to feed back if either of these fit your needs.

(Don't forget to delete them before you visit the area the next time !)

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
mike_walker
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by mike_walker »

Thanks - I'll look into that properly. I tried the custom road one at the time but didn't realise one put in a start and end. It wasn't intuitive and, after a few minutes faffing, a voice came over the intercom "Don't worry Mike, I've sorted it in Goggle Maps". Damn.

I'll have a play over the next few weeks to see if I can get it working easily.