Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Re: Travel planning tips – Basecamp and Zumo XT

Post by Peobody »

The linked pages are great! I can't figure out how to navigate to them from the Board index page should I want to seek them out in the future. Once again I am asking "What am I missing?"
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Raf
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Raf »

can an SP be transformed into wp? I missed this step
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

jfheath wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:36 pm
rbentnail wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:14 am I tried a track along with a route last weekend for a RTE to Charleston, SC. Made absolutely no sense to me and I fail to see any advantage of displaying a track whatsoever. I've tried to keep up with the conversations but they get way too deep for me without actually seeing something while it's working.
Have you seen these snapshots, Russ ?

This page shows a red track underneath the magenta route. You can't see the track normally - unless you manually edit the theme file - but when the route has been recalculated, the underlying (original) track reveals itself. The images show the screen just before the recalculated route diverts from the track, and again just before the two rejoin each other.

app.php/ZXT-P50

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Images 3 to 6 show a sequence of four shots when navigating a track and going off route. Although the image shows a megenta line, this is a track that has been loaded into the XT and then Go! is pressed. It isn't a route.

app.php/ZXT-P51

----------------------------------------------------------------------

And this one shows what happens when you navigate a track that you have asked the XT to turn into a trip, and then deviated from the route. The XT keeps the track in place but finds a route to get you back to it. This works well as long as you don't try to tie it in knots when deliberately going off the intended route.

app.php/ZXT-P53
Let's start at the first one. That's not what I saw. When I deviated from the route, my XT showed a magenta line under a magenta line. What the usefulness of it? I couldn't tell the difference between the track and the route and all it did was create confusion as to which way to go. I turned off the track withing 15 miles of starting out on a 240 mile route.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You can set the colour of a track on the XT. It doesn't default to Magenta, unless you select Go! after loading it.
I usually use black - it stands out very clearly. I just happened to have some screenshots when I was experimenting with other colours.

To see the route and the track you have got to have created the track from the route (easy in Basecamp), sent it to the XT, imported it, make it show on the map and set the colour.

It is possible that you were seeing the same route heading off both directions. A route is shown on the map as a magenta line, but it may show up in two different shades - bright and dull magenta. The bright coloured one is the route from where you are now to the next route points. The dull magenta line is the route that is in a different section or it is the current section that you have already ridden - behind you.

How can it head off in both directions ? - If you miss a route point and it is trying to navigate you back to it. You're heading in one direction away from the missed point, the satnav is trying to take you in the opposite direction along the same road to get you to visit the missed point.

You have seen this before Russ - when you were being directed all over the place because the roads that you were riding in North Carolina bore very little resemblance to what was plotted on the map.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Peobody wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:56 pm In the event of a recalc that changes the route, having the track visible as the original route sounds useful. Attempting to follow it may require more attention to the GPS than I am comfortable with.
Correct. But following a track it is too easy to miss a turn if for a minute divert attention from the map.
Peobody wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:56 pm I am accustomed to creating routes with lots of waypoints so as to minimize the risk of a recalc messing up the original route and am not averse to splitting a day trip into two routes if the number of waypoints became an issue. I am curious about adding a track though. The bottom line for me is finding the best, easiest way to create and ride a route.
But why do you want to create lots of waypoints (ie. via points) wheres shaping points will do the same and without being restricted to 29?
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Fxwheels wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:39 am But why do you want to create lots of waypoints (ie. via points) wheres shaping points will do the same and without being restricted to 29?
That is what a lot of this discussion has been about. I assume your reference to "shaping points" refers to ad-hoc inserted points and not non-alerting waypoints. Based on that, my considerations are:
1. You can't pull a shaping point out of your Saved waypoints and navigate to it as a rejoin point should a group get separated.
2. The waypoint flags are more visible on the XT which is reassuring that the XT hasn't recalculated off the intended route. Admittedly, extra care must be taken in Basecamp ensuring these are precisely on a road, and tolerance of the alerts is a consideration.

I am still working on finding the balance of waypoints, shaping points (non-alerting waypoints), and inserted shaping points. That balance applies to both the riding of the route with the XT and the creation of the route in Basecamp.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I'm loving this discussion.

Two people very determined to get this issue cracked and working hard at the fine detail.
I'm pretty sure that the errors / confusion / differences are now simply slips of the tongue (or keyboard).

When you create a route point in Basecamp, you create it as either

1) A waypoint using the flag tool, which is then saved for future use.
2) An Ad-hoc route point added to a route using the insert tool, or created having started a route with the route tool.

Whatever sort of point it is, it remains that sort of point forever.
It is either a Waypoint or it is an ad-hoc point (not a waypoint), and this can not be changed.

When placed in a route both type of point will be set by Basecamp to either alerting (via) or non-alerting (shaping). Known locations usually default to being Via Points. Points with no names or points which are just roads usually default to being shaping points. But any of them can be changed from Via to Shaping or vice versa.

As far as navigation is concerned there are only 4 types of route point that matter.

A Via Point (alerting point)
A Shaping Point (non-alerting point).
A Start or End point (these are automatically set as Via Points).

Whether or not a point was first created as a Waypoint is often irrelevant - at least as far as navigation is concerned.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
lkraus
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 98 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Peobody wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:11 pm The linked pages are great! I can't figure out how to navigate to them from the Board index page should I want to seek them out in the future. Once again I am asking "What am I missing?"
Go to Board index>Garmin Zumo Forums>Garmin Zumo XT
The document is in Announcements at the very top: "Zumo XT and Basecamp - Everything That You Need to Know"

Or bookmark viewtopic.php?t=521
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Raf »

I'm a little confused. I repeat my request
Can an SP be turned into a WP?. In Basecamp and also on Zumo
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Raf wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:22 pm I'm a little confused. I repeat my request
Can an SP be turned into a WP?. In Basecamp and also on Zumo
No. Not in BC, not in the XT.

If you tell me what YOU think a waypoint is , I'll tell you why you are confused.