Average Speeds For Different Road Types

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Average Speeds For Different Road Types

Post by jfheath »

izabelleferland wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:52 am To @jfheath; To what speed have you set your settings in BaseCamp (adjust your average speeds) to calculate accurate ETA of a trip ?
Sorry I missed this - I wasn't alerted ! This can happen - when you type the @ symbol and the first few letters of someones name, a list of options pops up. For me "@jf" just lists 3 options. Choose the one that you want from the list. Your text then changes to "[ mention ]jfheath[ /mention ]"

When it changes colour then you knwo the person mentioned will be alerted. Often if you just type it, and don't wait for the popup, it doesn't change colour and it doesn't alert the person concerned. eg @izabelleferland and @izabelleferland

Ok - what was the question ?

Oh yes. Speed settings. I don't set them. They give me a rough idea set at as the default, but I never worked out how Major Highways and State Highways related to our roads in the UK. And how any of those relate to the many country roads around here that have a NSL limit of 60mph, but that is if you don't have any potholes, bauvine deposites, gravel, tractors and cyclists to slow you down. And long may that be the case. It makes these roads nice and quiet for those of us that don't regard going as fast as is possible as the ultimate thrill.

So I use the BC time as a rough estimate. The XT, if you allow it to recalculate makes a pretty good job of estimating the time. Unlike the 550 which used to wait until you were 15 minutes away from your destination, and as you got close the time would go up. The XT and 590 have never done that. Generally speaking if you stick to the speed limits of say 60mph, your average speed is never 60. It is a bit less as you slow down a fraction here and there, but you never compensate for the time lost. (Not in North Yorkshire you don't). But usually the ETA is spot on. If you try hard to keep a good steady flow you can beat it. But the point when that becomes the purpose of the ride is the time to hang up your riding boots. There will be a nasty spikey tractor awaiting around the corner.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:24 pm The XT, if you allow it to recalculate makes a pretty good job of estimating the time.
Hmmm... The three BaseCamp routes I just transferred to my XT all show different times from what BaseCamp shows. Based on that, I think that the XT calculates the estimated time when it loads the route (maybe it does it on import???). The XT imported two of the three routes almost instantly but the third took awhile so route calculation may not be required in order for time calculation to occur.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

from my experience, the BS time is slower from Garmin by quiet a bit. But Garmin's time is more real