Next action/turn distance is not showing

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
sleepyowl
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Next action/turn distance is not showing

Post by sleepyowl »

Could be wrong but I believe the banner at the top only shows this info when you upload as a route. It will not show if you upload as a track.
casbar
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by casbar »

Never noticed that, I also hadn't noticed that in France a couple of weeks ago. The only time the banner changes on mine is to warn me of an up coming speed limit change. Shows how much notice I take :)
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I think that you may have to be moving for it to show up.

But in all such cases it is worth turning the XT off completely, and letting it power up and reload its data into RAM.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

BrAtKo wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:02 pm Hello this issue has disappeared itself on mine already.
I came across the same problem yesterday. I was riding and following a planned route. I had auto recalc turned off but I was not getting spoken directions or next turn information on the top banner.

In my case, I took a detour to go and buy some Summer gloves, having left mine at home. When I got back on the bike I had to restart the route and selected Closest Entry Point. I like to provoke problems with the XT ! It started to navigate me in the correct direction.

A mile or so later, it became clear that the CEP selected to rejoin the route was not the most direct, so I ignored it and headed to my own point to rejoin my original route. That had stayed in place because recalc was turned off.

I had joined the magenta line, but I had not visited the Closest Entry Point that the XT had selected for me. So although the route was plotted, I hadn't actually started it. I never got to the entry point.

Normally, Skip would deal with this situation, but because the route hadn't actually started, Skip wasn't available. I dealt with the situation by restarting the route and selecting CEP again.

This type of problem can often occur when setting off, if you put your start point where your bike is parked. If you are a few metres out, or if you satnav hasn't got an accurate fix on your location, the satnav will think you have not visited the start, and will forever try to take you back to it. The magenta line is actually plotted back to the start, behind you, and then forward on the line you are following. But with autorecalc turned off, you get no voice prompts and no info on the banner telling you to head back. So no clues as to what is going on. It is waiting for you to rejoin the route, and if you rejoin after a via point has been missed, it will never spring back unto life until you visit it, or you skip it.

Lesson. Always make sure that you pass through your start point - place it a mile or so up the road, beware missing Via points if you need to detour.

And, with Closest Entry Point, it seems you haven't started the route unless you pass through the CEP that the XT has selected.

Think about this and how it relates to your situation. Im pretty sure that some of this will be relevant. Let us know please.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
MyCRF300

Post by MyCRF300 »

Having this problem too. Has anyone had luck with a solution?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

One reason is that mentioned above - selecting CEP, and then joining the route somewhere else.

A more common reason is having auto recalc turned off and then deviating from the route. If you do that, you get no voice, no instructions until you rejoin the route. Even then, if you have missed a via point flag, it still will not talk.

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:20 pm A more common reason is having auto recalc turned off and then deviating from the route. If you do that, you get no voice, no instructions until you rejoin the route. Even then, if you have missed a via point flag, it still will not talk
This is one reason why it is so important to insure that via points are positions precisely on the road or at a point where you will pass through them. This issue annoyed me enough that I now position POI via points (restaurants, fuel stops, tourist attractions) on the road just before their entrance. Otherwise you can ride past a via without the XT detecting it (when positioned slightly off the road) or the POI coordinates can be too far away from where you park or pump fuel for the XT to detect that you have visited that via.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That is good advice.

There is another reason that putting the Via on the road ahead of the turning works better.

As you approach a Via Point, it will announce as you get close to it. It will say something like 'Approaching Coffee Stop on left'

It will give a few similar alerts as you get closer.

But it seems that as soon as it has made that first announcement, it treats the Via Point as being visited.

So in the case where you have a via point on the main road ahead, but you turn off just before reaching it, as long as the zumo has announced approach, you can turn off without visiting the via.

However, if the via requires a navigation command to turn off the current road in order to reach it, and you dont turn off, then the satnav may not recognise that you have visited it, because it was busy getting you to turn.

The XT is slightly better in this situation than the 590. This is because having given you an instruction, it seems to assume that you will do what you have been told, and places the bike's position on the map where it is expecting you to be, rather than where you are.
So having decided you will be turning off the main road, it will then see the via point and start to announce it.

It then goes i to a mini sulk as it processes what has happened, puts your icon where you actually are and redraws the route in the direction you are heading, rather than where you should have been heading.

Rofor
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

Hmmm - the one and only reason for me using a via point is on a long (>300km) tour with my wife, because her fuel tank is smaller than mine and so i pick a gas station around after 270-280km and set a via point 100m in front of it on the street, so to not get troubles with less fuel.

Is there really any other need for a via point in a route?
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
Bikeridr
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Norway

Post by Bikeridr »

Rofor wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:59 am Hmmm - the one and only reason for me using a via point is on a long (>300km) tour with my wife, because her fuel tank is smaller than mine and so i pick a gas station around after 270-280km and set a via point 100m in front of it on the street, so to not get troubles with less fuel.

Is there really any other need for a via point in a route?
Several other needs. When I set up a route of several thousand kilometres and which spans several days, I set via points and stops for each place I plan to stop overnight. I set via points for shops and/or attractions along my trip plan. I also set shaping points to route over the roads I want to drive. Mainly away from motorways and "autostradas". The curvier, the better (and mostly less traffic).
What I don't set, are via points for petrol stations as they pop up in the "further forward" side panel anyway.
Bikeridr
'11 Yamaha FJR 1300A, '19 Kawasaki Versys-X 300, Garmin Zümo XT, ATGATT