Device Specific Settings in Basecamp

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Device Specific Settings in Basecamp

Post by jfheath »

A small issue with big consequences - that I have only just discovered.

My Zumo XT was replaced under warranty recently. I hadn't noticed that in one area of the Basecamp configuration, the settings that I have made do not necessarily apply to the attached device. They apply only to the device(s) that are selected. Since Basecamp lists both of my devices - I hadn't spotted that it was my old Zumo XT for which I was changing the settings.

The settings concerned are here:

Edit -> Options -> Device Transfer -- Click the image to view a full size version.

Edit-Options-Transfer.jpg
Edit-Options-Transfer.jpg (54.31 KiB) Viewed 1192 times

These settings affect every single transfer that is made via the USB cable. Unless you specifically want to set them otherwise, I recommend that none of the check boxes are ticked. I believe that this is not the case by default.

A safe way of dealing with this is to press the button labelled 'Apply to All Devices'.

In my case, I simply hadn't noticed that the display above was showing my old Zumo XT. The changes that I made were having no effect when I transferred routes to my New Zumo XT.

You can check the device Unit ID from the Zumo Screen:- Settings->Device->About
or from within Basecamp with the Zumo connected Device->Device Information->scroll left or right .

The only way I have found of removing an old Zumo from the list that Windows Basecamp is to use Regdedit to access the Registry Editor. The usual warnings about RegEdit apply. It is perfectly safe unless you make an edit to something that you didn't intend to make. There is no Undo facility, so take a backup and make sure you know how to put it back as it was before messing with it.

If you wish to throw cautuion to the wind - search for the Unit ID number in the Keys. In my case the unit ID was 330813733. Regedit only found one entry that matched. Delete the folder with that name in Devices. Exit Regedit. Restart Basecamp. The old XT will have disappeared from the Basecamap List.

Those familiar with Regedit will be able to glean all the information they need from the image below. Click the image to see a full size version.
RegEdit Find Zumo.jpg
RegEdit Find Zumo.jpg (70.35 KiB) Viewed 1192 times

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Raf
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Re: Device Specific Settings in Basecamp

Post by Raf »

Thank you so much !!!!!
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

thanks for posting that, I lack the confidence to use regedit, so basecamp list 11 devices for me, but I only have 4 that are actually valid, would love to remove the 7 old units that I no longer own, but don't want to risk breaking basecamp as it has been quite reliable the last year or so!! Wish Garmin offered an easier way to manage your actual devices!!

Gary

I actually went back and using your snapshot deleted the 7 devices using regedit, it worked perfectly and basecamp still runs great and now only lists my 4 actual devices!!
Raf
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Raf »

for now this is only solution. the procedure seems pretty safe to me
ZFtracker
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 13 times
United States of America

Post by ZFtracker »

Wow, never noticed that either. Thanks for posting.
Zumo 590
Montana 610
Drive 60
inReach Mini