The Usual MAC / Gamin Express Connection Issue

Bluenoser2
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Canada

The Usual MAC / Gamin Express Connection Issue

Post by Bluenoser2 »

Hi Folks:

Relatively new to this forum so 'hello' to you all from the east coast of Canada! My Garmin Zumo XT is not recognized on my Mac. A problem I have long had with all my Garmin products but is usually remedied with one of the online troubleshooting processes.

I have tried:
Allowing permission in Security and Privacy - Full Disk Access. It won't display Garmin Express in the Files and Folders option and I can't add it here, I can only add it to Full Disk Access.
Reset my SMC and NVRAM
Removed device from Garmin Express and uninstalled the software. I then reinstalled Garmin Express and tried to add it again with no luck.
Reset my Zumo by holding power button. I have not tried resetting it to factory settings.

I was using Big Sur and finally decided to upgrade to Monterrey hoping this might work, but also no luck.

I have tried all of the posted and conventional troubleshooting steps I could find so looking for anything new or something that I have not included above.

Thanks!
David
H2R
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Re: The Usual MAC / Gamin Express Connection Issue

Post by H2R »

David,

Have you tried a different USB cable? If your cable is one of those “charging only” (no data) cables, or if your cable is bad you might have similar connectivity issues.

Good luck!
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hi David, and welcome.

Garmin Express has an option to stop it from always running in the background.

On the PC version it is in the top right corner - the gear icon.

Every time it updates, it resets this to be always running. But it can interfere with other USB access to the Zumo.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You say you've run through the normal steps but in case you've missed something try stepping through this FAQ

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=P ... region_mac
Bluenoser2
Canada

Post by Bluenoser2 »

H2R wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:06 am David,

Have you tried a different USB cable? If your cable is one of those “charging only” (no data) cables, or if your cable is bad you might have similar connectivity issues.

Good luck!
Thanks! I tried another cable and also connected a very old GPSMap76CS which it recognized (a good sign about the software and the Mac), however Express also said the unit was no longer compatible.

Appreciate your response!
Bluenoser2
Canada

Post by Bluenoser2 »

jfheath wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:40 am Hi David, and welcome.

Garmin Express has an option to stop it from always running in the background.

On the PC version it is in the top right corner - the gear icon.

Every time it updates, it resets this to be always running. But it can interfere with other USB access to the Zumo.
Thanks! I checked it and again just in case and it is selected off. Thanks again for responding.
Bluenoser2
Canada

Post by Bluenoser2 »

sussamb wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:28 am You say you've run through the normal steps but in case you've missed something try stepping through this FAQ

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=P ... region_mac
Thanks for this as I had not read through some of these. What I did find in one of the articles is that the Zumo XT will not show as a drive in finder. That's helpful as I will not keep trying to make that happen.

Android File Transfer can access the files which is encouraging.

Thanks again!
Bluenoser2
Canada

Post by Bluenoser2 »

Update!

I think I have found a workaround for now!

1. Turn on my Zumo and connect it to my Mac.
2. Open Android File Transfer (AFT).
3. Once AFT opens and lists my files, I open Express.
4. Express says in order to continue, AFT must be closed - I click ok to accept.
5. Voila! It connects and was tested several times.

Hopefully one of the next updates will correct the issue but for now I am up and running again.

Many thanks to all of your suggestions as it led me try a few different things. I'll keep you updated if I find anything else.

All the best,
David
Bluenoser2
Canada

Post by Bluenoser2 »

Bluenoser2 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:09 am Update!

I think I have found a workaround for now!

1. Turn on my Zumo and connect it to my Mac.
2. Open Android File Transfer (AFT).
3. Once AFT opens and lists my files, I open Express.
4. Express says in order to continue, AFT must be closed - I click ok to accept.
5. Voila! It connects and was tested several times.

Hopefully one of the next updates will correct the issue but for now I am up and running again.

Many thanks to all of your suggestions as it led me try a few different things. I'll keep you updated if I find anything else.

All the best,
David
Work around continues to connect my Zumo! Thanks again everyone. I hope my findings/alternate method is helpful for someone else.
Best Regards,
David
Crazyivan
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by Crazyivan »

Bluenoser2 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:48 pm Hi Folks:

Relatively new to this forum so 'hello' to you all from the east coast of Canada! My Garmin Zumo XT is not recognized on my Mac. A problem I have long had with all my Garmin products but is usually remedied with one of the online troubleshooting processes.

I have tried:
Allowing permission in Security and Privacy - Full Disk Access. It won't display Garmin Express in the Files and Folders option and I can't add it here, I can only add it to Full Disk Access.
Reset my SMC and NVRAM
Removed device from Garmin Express and uninstalled the software. I then reinstalled Garmin Express and tried to add it again with no luck.
Reset my Zumo by holding power button. I have not tried resetting it to factory settings.

I was using Big Sur and finally decided to upgrade to Monterrey hoping this might work, but also no luck.

I have tried all of the posted and conventional troubleshooting steps I could find so looking for anything new or something that I have not included above.

Thanks!
David
Hi. Had the same issue and its an easy fix. Open Garmin Express.

Navigate your pointer to the top left of your screen and open Garmin Express Preferences. Deselect both boxes in this dialogue box; Always keep Garmin Express running in the background, and Automatically launch Garmin Express when a Garmin device is connected. Close Garmin Express.

Disconnect your Garmin device from its USB. Remove the USB from your Mac: note, the cable must go directly to a USB port and not a USB hub. Restart your Mac. Connect your USB cable. Connect your Garmin and it will power on automatically. Now open Garmin Base Camp.