For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Road Names Missing Letters

Post by Peobody »

1WheelDrive wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:42 pm Which brings up one nit to pick. The music player applet resets every time that you power off the GPS. When you bring the player up it starts playing your playlist from the beginning again, alphabetically. The way to avoid that is to briefly press the power button to put it into standby instead of powering it off. But I always power it off when I get home at the end of the day. I guess I need to change that habit.
Keep in mind that the XT slowly discharges its battery when in standby mode.

I don't have an answer to the music player reset issue. I am far from an expert since I rarely listen to music but I have 226 songs on the SD card in the directory structure of \MP3\Artist\Album. I am clueless how it chose the song it starts at as #1 of 226.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
1WheelDrive
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by 1WheelDrive »

Peobody wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:44 pm
1WheelDrive wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:42 pm Which brings up one nit to pick. The music player applet resets every time that you power off the GPS. When you bring the player up it starts playing your playlist from the beginning again, alphabetically. The way to avoid that is to briefly press the power button to put it into standby instead of powering it off. But I always power it off when I get home at the end of the day. I guess I need to change that habit.
Keep in mind that the XT slowly discharges its battery when in standby mode.

I don't have an answer to the music player reset issue. I am far from an expert since I rarely listen to music but I have 226 songs on the SD card in the directory structure of \MP3\Artist\Album. I am clueless how it chose the song it starts at as #1 of 226.
The old units were somehow able to remember what the last song you played was, which was pretty handy when you were riding for a couple of weeks straight across country. The old zumo 550 could only address or sequence 1000 songs (originally 500), but all of my songs were on SD cards so I just swapped out SD cards after a few days. 1000 songs takes you quite a while to listen to.

My wife and I rode from home in New Hampshire to the Continental Divide. Spent a few days touring there and then rode back home. It was 16 days total for the trip. We did not always listen to our music. Some places and times demand silence to appreciate. We did not even have to put the 3rd SD card in.
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

I did have my 550 bluetoothing SDcard MP3 music to a desk FLIP4 bluetooth speaker, but I gave up trying to get my Samsung smartphone to work with the 550 at the same time. I think it was a combination of outdated bluetooth version on the 550. I ordered a RAM torque handlebar mount to replace my RAM handlebar U mount, it will work with any GPS mount with a 1" ball. I am still trying to live with the 550 showing street name dots, I say trying because I would like the XT but would mean getting a bluetooth headset, I think I like the Cardo Spirit HD. The only issue there is installing it on my half helmet. I wonder how long I can live with the 550, I am really trying to make it last.
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Unless you switch to OSM maps for your 550, you cannot get new maps from Garmin.
They dropped the 550 from map updates earlier this year.
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

electro_handyman wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:29 am Unless you switch to OSM maps for your 550, you cannot get new maps from Garmin.
for new Garmin 2024.20 maps for my 550 here is what i did. I used Garmin Express w/550 connect to computer, and selected 'Computer Only' in the Express download option, then after all of North America maps was on my computer hard drive, I then used Garmin MapInstall w/550 connected to computer, and selected the 550 SD card as the target drive, (I think the 550 sd card showed as drive J in Express), and then selected maps by clicking most of East Coad USA maps and East Coast Canada maps, (24 maps in all) and then installed those 2024.20 maps from computer onto the 550 SD card. works
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

just ordered a bluetooth receiver on Amazon, it has a 3.5mm jack socket and uses USB type C charging socket to charge the battery, says 15 hours battery time, receiver is with 5.3 bluetooth version. I am going to test using that bluetooth receiver on my 550 by setting the 550 on bluetooth, selecting 'MP3 Navigation' in options, then pairing the 550 to this receiver, then plug in my 3.5mm earbuds into the receiver socket, put the receiver in my motorcycle jacket pocket and test out hearing sd card MP3 music and route direction audio. I'm doing this because I don't want to remove the bike gas tank to run earbud cord under the tank and up to zumo cradle again. 8-)
1WheelDrive
United States of America

Post by 1WheelDrive »

twowheelstom wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:32 pm
electro_handyman wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:29 am Unless you switch to OSM maps for your 550, you cannot get new maps from Garmin.
for new Garmin 2024.20 maps for my 550 here is what i did. I used Garmin Express w/550 connect to computer, and selected 'Computer Only' in the Express download option, then after all of North America maps was on my computer hard drive, I then used Garmin MapInstall w/550 connected to computer, and selected the 550 SD card as the target drive, (I think the 550 sd card showed as drive J in Express), and then selected maps by clicking most of East Coad USA maps and East Coast Canada maps, (24 maps in all) and then installed those 2024.20 maps from computer onto the 550 SD card. works
That is how I’ve been loading my lifetime map updates for quite a long time, since the full North America mapset would no longer fit in the small memory space of the zumo 550. Once I have the mapset installed on an 8GB SD card I copy the files over to a couple of other SD cards so that if it get wonky I can just swap cards. Also have different MP3 music files on each card.
1WheelDrive
United States of America

Post by 1WheelDrive »

twowheelstom wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:50 pm just ordered a bluetooth receiver on Amazon, it has a 3.5mm jack socket and uses USB type C charging socket to charge the battery, says 15 hours battery time, receiver is with 5.3 bluetooth version. I am going to test using that bluetooth receiver on my 550 by setting the 550 on bluetooth, selecting 'MP3 Navigation' in options, then pairing the 550 to this receiver, then plug in my 3.5mm earbuds into the receiver socket, put the receiver in my motorcycle jacket pocket and test out hearing sd card MP3 music and route direction audio. I'm doing this because I don't want to remove the bike gas tank to run earbud cord under the tank and up to zumo cradle again. 8-)
What I toyed with was a bluetooth transmitter wired to the stereo audio output jack of the zumo cradle. The one that worked the best was a Sena SM10. It had two input channels, and transmits an A2DP bluetooth protocol, so you get stereo music. I configured the zumo’s internal bluetooth for Phone only, which keeps all navigation and music audio on the audio jack. Paired my bluetooth headset via media pairing (A2DP) to the SM10 and phone paired (Headset profile) to the zumo 550 for phone functions. I connected my radar detector audio alerts to the 2nd audio port of the SM10, so would get those over the bluetooth connection. It worked, but was a pain in the neck to keep everything configured.