Purchased one after my Pixel 6 came off the bike!

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
pratishk
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Purchased one after my Pixel 6 came off the bike!

Post by pratishk »

Evening all,
I have been eyeing up the Zumo XT or 396 initially (due to price) for ages. Hoping for a sale or good enough discounts?!

And then last Saturday, my Google Pixel 6 Pro decided to come off my tank mount with the wind.. and a few trucks and tens of cars later... totally trashed! :cry:
So decided I needed to take the punt.. and, literally the same night, got a 10% off on top of the already reduced price at Halfords (UK Autocentre shop thingy!) and well, the Zumo XT was all of a sudden cheaper than the 396 - so it had to be done!?

I went through the same issues as some of you on here, when you first try to switch the thing on, the battery is so dead it does not boot up - so first tip stick it into a PC! Garmin Support Chat were fab with that advice!

After that I joined up to this forum, ordered in a 256gb card and some screen protectors and let the zumo charge up and update all its maps/firmware, etc...

Wanted to jump onto the debate of is it worth having two things: the phone and the GPS??
And now, for me it is definitely worth it going forward with the costs of the newer phones! Massive piece of mind now to know phone can be tucked away and safe in an inside pocket!?

One newbie question if I can ask here, although I will ofcourse search the other forums...
Secure attachment to the bike. I have a Guzzi v7iii and will be using the attachments that came with it, but a little paranoid - so do others use anything else? like the tethers that are available?
And also - any other forms of lockable docks/mounts? that are not massive and bulky??
the pixel pro after being run over
the pixel pro after being run over
Front-Pixel6Pro.jpg (31.45 KiB) Viewed 991 times
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Re: Purchased one after my Pixel 6 came off the bike!

Post by rbentnail »

As to the either/or gps/ phone, I use both, mounted in my choice of placement. I like the dedicated gps for routing and the phone for real time weather. I've avoided many a downpour that way.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
pratishk
Great Britain

Post by pratishk »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:32 pm As to the either/or gps/ phone, I use both, mounted in my choice of placement. I like the dedicated gps for routing and the phone for real time weather. I've avoided many a downpour that way.
Cheers, does the Garmin Drive not do that for us now? I haven't used it yet, but presumed it allowed weather and live traffic data?
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

For me, XT for navigating, phone for phone calls. Don't care about the weather! As for security, if I'm out of sight of the bike for more than a minute or two I whip the XT off its mount and into my helmet or locked topbox. No fiddling about with security stuff, no danger of the bike's mounting being attacked.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

pratishk wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:01 am
rbentnail wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:32 pm As to the either/or gps/ phone, I use both, mounted in my choice of placement. I like the dedicated gps for routing and the phone for real time weather. I've avoided many a downpour that way.
Cheers, does the Garmin Drive not do that for us now? I haven't used it yet, but presumed it allowed weather and live traffic data?
I have successfully avoided the XT simply because of Drive and Explore and whatever other apps are required to achieve the functionality I like.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
pratishk
Great Britain

Post by pratishk »

Thanks to some of the other threads on here, Garmin all set up with SD card and tether system on the bike.
Now to plan the trips!!
PXL_20220212_135443039.jpg
PXL_20220212_135443039.jpg (420.42 KiB) Viewed 938 times