CN Europe NT 2022.10

Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Re: CN Europe NT 2022.10

Post by Les »

I also had the 'not enough memory' message, however this is the first time this has occured, I have had a large SD memory card in my 660 for many years and have no problems before.

Using 'Mapinstall' I was able to choose where to load the maps, half on the Unit, half on the SD card, it works OK now.

When I connect my 660 to Express, it still tells my an update is availabe, but only GB inc. Northern Ireland.. it all seems to have gone a bit pear shaped.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I think with some recent changes to GE it has messed a few things up like the fact of installing maps on to your pc when you have an XT connected!

Also is Garmin still supporting the 660? is this their way of saying buy a new unit?
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

Stu wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:11 pm I think with some recent changes to GE it has messed a few things up like the fact of installing maps on to your pc when you have an XT connected!

is this their way of saying buy a new unit?
I strongly suspect this is the case @Stu
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
David
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by David »

Les wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:48 pmWhen I connect my 660 to Express, it still tells my an update is available, but only GB inc. Northern Ireland.
Do you not get the select a region dropdown menu arrow \/ next to UK & Ireland.

Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

David wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:52 pm
Les wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:48 pmWhen I connect my 660 to Express, it still tells my an update is available, but only GB inc. Northern Ireland.
Do you not get the select a region dropdown menu arrow \/ next to UK & Ireland.

I used to get the option of downloading all of Europe, North and South, but the latest option was the message, not enough memory... so I used Mapinstall to install all the whole set of maps available.

However, when I connect up my 660, I still get a notification that a map update is available, but only UK and Ireland, even though the unit has the latest mapping.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You will if you simply used MapInstall, you will need to use Express to install at least a portion of your map.
waspanman
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Re: CN Europe NT after 2021.1

Post by waspanman »

Hi
I read the issue and thought I would pass on my research, please feel free to critique as appropriate.

Updating your mapping Garmin 660

1. Start your unit, then select Settings, Maps, and Map Data to show current loading, untick previous maps i.e. 2021.1

2. Connect your 660 to your computer, once the computer recognises your unit Garmin Express will open and tell you that updates are available. Do not bother trying to upload the new maps to your unit because it will tell you that you have insufficient memory for the whole of Europe. It will allow you to upload certain areas but these are so small if travelling across Europe from one country to another they are effectively useless. Instead

3. Select Installation Options (important) then Download to computer only, this takes a while depending on your line speed.

4. Once the upload as finished open Basecamp and check under Maps in the toolbar that the correct update has happened i.e. 2021.2

5. With your unit connected, on the left of Basecamp you will see your Garmin unit listed along with Internal Storage and Memory card.

6. if you right click on either internal memory or Memory Card (user data) you will see the option to Install maps on Zumo 660 or Memory Card depending on your selection.

7. This will open Mapinstall then press continue and you will see a screen similar to the old mapsource style on the 2610, showing a small map of Europe, ensure the maps are the current edition i.e. 2021.2

8. You may now select the map areas you wish to download – if you left click it will select the area and it will become highlighted if you right click it will unselect it. You can select multiple areas by holding down the shift button and dragging. You must be very careful to ensure all the regions you need are selected as the screen is small, cannot be expanded and is a bit cumbersome.

You should have enough memory but the data bar at the base of the screen will indicate how much memory you are using, if it is getting too much, unselect large cities that you are not visiting as they take the most memory, and of course there is no need to select areas in Norway if you are going to Spain!.

9. Follow the instructions to complete the process.

Using the instructions in 1. above check the download has been successful you should see the new mapset ensure the correct set is ticked if more than one are there.

I have had messages saying the maps are locked or cannot be authenticated, but they still seem to open
Good Luck
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

I was just wondering @Stu if this could be copied to the Zumo 660 section. It could be a useful reference for the future.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

kernowing wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:05 pm I was just wondering @Stu if this could be copied to the Zumo 660 section. It could be a useful reference for the future.
I will take a look when I get my computer set back up as it gets moved out the way for Xmas
David
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by David »

Thank you for the continued feedback. I'm pleased to still have MapSource installed on my PC, it's certainly more user friendly than MapInstall (BaseCamp) when selecting map areas/tiles to send to the device. With MapSource, a full PC monitor view is available rather than the postcard size view from MapInstall. Makes selecting map areas more accurate.