396 Prompting message stays long

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

396 Prompting message stays long

Post by Fxwheels »

When a prompt on the screen appears if I want to recalibrate the route in case I went off the set route, or if I missed a via point - the message stays on the screen long after I select yes or no. I think it does registers as the color briefly changing to orange when touching it. However the message continues blocking the screen. It can take more than a minute or more and several touches before it goes away.
Is that something anyone else experienced on a 395 or XT, or it can be my unit?
jfheath
Has liked: 279 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Re: 396 Prompting message stays long

Post by jfheath »

Are you talking about the message that appears to recalculate the route if you have set the unit to Ask for confirmation in the settings, or the one that appears if you ignore instructions to a couple of times - the AutoSkip ?

I always have auto recalculate turned on these days - I found that the message didn't stay on long enough to respond to safely.

However in one of the software updates I noticed that the length of time that the auto skip message stays on the screen was significantly increased to a sensible length of time. Time to check the road ahead, glance at the screen, check again to remember finger placement and then to tap without taking eyes off the road.

But that screen disappears as soon as you tap it. I don't know about the recalc prompt

So I guess your screen is not responding to your input. This can happen occasionally if the position isn't positive, if there is some other area of the screen which is also receiving input. Gloved hands are not always recognised, and the temperature of the device can affect screen response. I noticed that after having mine in my pocket for a while the sensitivity was silly, recognising my finger presses as my fingers approached the screen, without actually touching it. Sensitivity decreased as it returned to normal temperature.

I'd check out that behaviour in a car with someone else driving so that you can pin down the behaviour to one particular thing.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Yes, it does looks like the screen is not responding. It happens even without the gloves.
Problem is that the message is sitting on the screen and blocking the magenta line. Also, I need touching it many times until it'll go away and take the concentration of the road.
I set recalculation to Prompted as I can purposely wonder off the route then go back on, so I don't need it to recalibrate. And other times I do need.
I can set it to always recalculate, but it negate the use of this function if you may want to use it.
Maybe give Garmin a call.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

I found out that it works fine on a few via or shaping points.
But, on a long routes with many (over 29) shaping points it becomes slow.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

See what happens if you make one of those 29 shaping points (eg the 15th) into an alerting Via Point.

Note - this isn't a limit - Garmin mention various limits, but this isn't even close. However, the Zumos seem to split routes up into sections . At various times it processes the sections of route between the via points. I tend to put the Via Points avery 90mins - 2 hours - so that we can see the distance and time to the next coffee stop ! In between I will typically have a handful of shaping points. I try to keep it to a bare minimum. More than 5 is unusual for me - but sometimes when my route goes close to a main road, it is necessary.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Well, I don't know exact limit of shaping points. Maybe 100 duno. However, if you going to load a route with more then 29 Via points (GPX file made not on BC), the nav will ask you if you want to split the route into 2 routes or convert all Via pointe (except start and end) into shaping points.
I usually do that. So I end up with say 50 Shaping points and this may make the nav slow, but not to navigate as to responding to inputs.

Why do I use so many Via points initially? Because I use Furkot and I don't want Garmin to recalculate my route. Learning the BC is, oh... so un-wiling at this point, but I may have to do...
I'm going to do another experiment and will get back with the solution.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I knew about the splitting of routes with more than 30 Via Points to reduce it to routes with no more than 29.

But that is Via Points. Curiously, the Garmin Help Page says that it limits a route to 30 waypoints. I don't think that that is correct. I think it should say Via Points. https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=7 ... w1svGjJlb6

I haven't experimented with that feature - other than to see what it does with a route with an excessive number of Via Points. (The answer is that it breaks it into mulitple routes, each with 29 Vias, a start and a finish - with the finish point of one route being duplicated to become the start of the next - hence it will accept a route with 30 via points.) But I digress.....

So the Zumo gives the option of converting them to shaping points ? Now this is a very simple operation to achieve involving nothing more than changing a couple of tags in route. However, when you convert a single Via Point to a Shaping point on the 595 and on the XT, it does something really odd. It moves the point to a different location, and it renames it. Especially it seems to happen if the shaping point is deliberately placed to keep the magenta line off the fastest route. I don't know if the 396 has this feature, but it may have.

So I don't know if it does the same thing when importing a route with loads of Via Points. It might be worth checking out.

Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

jfheath wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:04 pm I knew about the splitting of routes with more than 30 Via Points to reduce it to routes with no more than 29.

But that is Via Points. Curiously, the Garmin Help Page says that it limits a route to 30 waypoints. I don't think that that is correct. I think it should say Via Points. https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=7 ... w1svGjJlb6

I haven't experimented with that feature - other than to see what it does with a route with an excessive number of Via Points. (The answer is that it breaks it into mulitple routes, each with 29 Vias, a start and a finish - with the finish point of one route being duplicated to become the start of the next - hence it will accept a route with 30 via points.) But I digress.....

So the Zumo gives the option of converting them to shaping points ? Now this is a very simple operation to achieve involving nothing more than changing a couple of tags in route. However, when you convert a single Via Point to a Shaping point on the 595 and on the XT, it does something really odd. It moves the point to a different location, and it renames it. Especially it seems to happen if the shaping point is deliberately placed to keep the magenta line off the fastest route. I don't know if the 396 has this feature, but it may have.

So I don't know if it does the same thing when importing a route with loads of Via Points. It might be worth checking out.
Here's the thing: if you already have a loaded route in the unit and deciding to convert Via into Shaping - yes, it will relocate it. (Garmin's bug).
BTW, if you want to shape your route already in the unit (a + in a circle sign top left) - the new Shaping point you'll set on map will be moved as well.
However, if Garmin is doing it (internally) at the time of uploading - the shaping points will stay the way Vias used to be.
Just for an experiment, load a route with say, 35 Vias and see what happens . My thought that XT does the same.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Update.

After talking to Garmin rep, he suggested to do a system reset and if still problem remains, try to use BC instead of 3rd party app, and if still no go, it can be a faulty unit.
So I reset the unit and everything works (of course minus Garmin's bugs). 1st test - I loaded a large route which was converted into shaping points, went off route to trigger the prompt and all works fine. 2nd, I loaded a route which was split into 3 routes (29, 29 and 13 vias) and worked fine too. 3rd, I created a route in the unit itself and worked fine.
Note that when I bought the unit, I updated the system.

Now you may ask why do I need so many via/shaping points. Not because I like so many, but I use Furkot and if I do less, Garmin can recalculate my custom route. I may learn to use the BC for loading and checking my route before loading it to Garmin.