can 595 firmware be loaded on a 590 ?

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: can 595 firmware be loaded on a 590 ?

Post by jfheath »

Drag the RGN file to the Updater program and see this image on your screen.

Updater.jpg
Updater.jpg (26.62 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
Click to see the full size image.

Select USB device, not Serial Port.

Move the mouse pointer over the OK button and leave it there - OR tap the tab key until the OK button gets the focus.
You MUST be ready to click the OK button or tap ENTER with the focus set on the OK button.
Make sure that your Zumo is fully powered off.
Then without moving the mouse:

I find it easier to have the USB cable attached to the Zumo, but NOT into the computer.
Make sure Basecamp is not running.
Plug the USB cable into the ZUMO

Now the crucial bit.

You have only two hands, and you have to do 3 things in succession.

Press the lowere right corner of the Zumo screen.
Insert the USB cable into the computer
Check that you are ready to hit the OK button whent he computer ding dongs.

At that moment the Updater program dialog box will flash up the name of the Zumo.
When it shows up (ie immediately after ding dong, and before the Zumo name disappears again) you have to hit the OK button on the screen.

You have less time than it takes to find the pointer on the screen, move the mouse to the OK button and click it - or make sure that the OK button has the focus so that you can tap ENTER instead of using the mouse.

So you have to decide what hand is going to do what.

I hold the Zumo with my left hand, plug the USB into the PC with my right and immediately get my finger on the mouse button to press OK.

The Computer will report the wrong version of the software. It reports the software version that it is repalcing rather than the new one.

The computer seems to indicate that it has finished early on. It hasn't. It hasn't finished until it says "Update Complete / Update Successful"

I think you can let go of the bottom left corner when the 'System' message appears on the Zumo screen.

Don't worry about 4.50 or 4.60

Once you have 4.50 on, you can use Garmin Express to find the 4.60 software. You will also need to update the keyboard files. Its OK, it recognises your device as a 595 now, even though it has the same serial number as your 590.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Thanks for the reply, tried it again, and it worked first time, though I had my finger on the lower right-hand corner. :D

"All I have to do now" is try and work out how / what to change on the GarminDevice.xml document, as they might as well be speaking Dutch on the linked forum on how to update the 590 :shock:
Last edited by Oop North John on Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Oop North John wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:12 pm Thanks for the reply, tried it again, and it worked first time, though I had my finger on the lower right-hand corner. :D
Oh, goodness.

Yes, I know that. That is what I thought I had written. Goodness, that is stupid. How can I think 'right' and write 'left'. It's not the first time that I've spotted that I have made that error.

Thanks for spotting it. I've corrected it and I'll go and have a lie down now.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.