Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: Checking for update

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:11 pm Look at Settings/Wireless Networks/WiFi. You untick the box to stop updates.
There is something else involved because mine doesn't check for updates even with wifi enabled and connected. I think that it used to though. I don't know why it doesn't auto-check now.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
PaulaRay
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:11 pm Look at Settings/Wireless Networks/WiFi. You untick the box to stop updates.
Thanks for the help.... I did so but unfortunately, it still want's to check for updates. Thanks again. Ray 👍
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:28 pm
There is something else involved because mine doesn't check for updates even with wifi enabled and connected. I think that it used to though. I don't know why it doesn't auto-check now.
Other than turning wifi off, I've never found a way to NOT update when turned off. Curious to know what makes yours different tho it doesn't matter much. I turn wifi on at home to update and back off again when done. I don't want it updating every time I pull in somewhere that has wifi. Can you imagine? Stop in Mickey D's for a quick pit stop, XT updates and now none of your routes work right and you have no idea why.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

I'm currently on software version 6.50. There is a new update that I haven't done yet. Are you on the latest version or a different version? Thanks. Ray
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:30 pm
Other than turning wifi off, I've never found a way to NOT update when turned off. Curious to know what makes yours different tho it doesn't matter much. I turn wifi on at home to update and back off again when done. I don't want it updating every time I pull in somewhere that has wifi. Can you imagine? Stop in Mickey D's for a quick pit stop, XT updates and now none of your routes work right and you have no idea why.
That's too funny...... I was at a Mickey D's when this happened. I feel the same way as you.... I always want to manually update everything if possible. 👍
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

PaulaRay wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:31 pm I'm currently on software version 6.50. There is a new update that I haven't done yet. Are you on the latest version or a different version? Thanks. Ray
I am on version 6.50. I am not aware of a new version being available.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Peobody wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:17 pm
PaulaRay wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:31 pm I'm currently on software version 6.50. There is a new update that I haven't done yet. Are you on the latest version or a different version? Thanks. Ray
I am on version 6.50. I am not aware of a new version being available.
The following is showing up on my XT for updates. I havn't updated yet due to trying to figure out my current problem.... which may not occur again. Other than that, I want to see what and if the latest software version is any good or not. 👍

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/download/file.php?mode=view&id=2219&sid=421a171c45cbb52ae8f0ae7547ca24fa
https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/download/file.php?mode=view&id=2219&sid=421a171c45cbb52ae8f0ae7547ca24fa
Updates.jpg (351.75 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Rofor
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@PaulaRay - This must not be any firmware update (no new firmware than 6.50 at the moment)!

This could be language files, speech files, POIs and so on! All those updates, excluded map files, will be be shown under 'Software' - the only way to get an idea, which files are updated, is to use Garmin Express on an PC/Mac for those updates. There you can click on 'Details' if the Zumo XT is connected and than you can see in detail, what the update is for...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Some of the updates are pretty trivial, like time zone maps for places you've never heard of. Express found a two minute update a few weeks ago, but "Details" provided no information about what was changed. It only said it was "necessary".

The "update at McD's" scenario isn't too likely since most public wifi requires you to agree to their terms of service, and there will be no agreement screen displayed on a Zumo. Even without that requirement, you have to tell the Zumo which wifi networks to use, at least once. It will not connect to any random wifi it happens to detect.

I never want my Zumo to update automatically. I can imagine coming home from an errand the day before a tour and getting an update that changes a map or algorithm, or has a bug, so that all my planning is wasted. As best I can tell, wifi is used only for updates, so mine is always turned off.
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Just checked Garmins "wonderful app"..... Garmin Express. There are map updates but, totally useless in my world. As for the software update 7.18.0.0 even more useless which carries problems as shown at the following link. This is exactly why I don't want automatic updates for anything....."Especially Garmin." In regards to my OP, I may remove my cradle from switched power to direct. The little bit that I would leave my XT in the cradle, all I need to do is tap the power button for sleep/charge mode and/or power it off. ;)

https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software ... n-7-18-0-0

Garmin Express Updates.jpg
Garmin Express Updates.jpg (199.96 KiB) Viewed 521 times
Attachments
Garman Express Update ver 7.18.0.0.jpg
Garman Express Update ver 7.18.0.0.jpg (48.16 KiB) Viewed 521 times