Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Re: Routes (SD card or XT )

Post by danham »

Paula,

The XT has plenty of internal storage, so no need to put maps on the SD card. Note that to use the routes on the card you must import them into Trip Planner. But that means no matter how badly recalculations mess up your route, you can always go back and import the original again from your card.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
PaulaRay
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

dan,
Thanks You for that additional info. That's awesome, Trip Planner it is. Having the option of re-importing back into Trip Planner on the fly is a great option. By doing so, will the same route write over the previous one on the XT or re-assign it giving it the same name but, with a number? Thanks again. Ray
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

PaulaRay wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:19 pm
rbentnail wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:08 am
jfheath wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:52 am How do you get the route onto the SD card ?
See Below

eg - is the card in the Zumo at the time ?
Yes, the SD card is never removed from the device for this process

Do you use drag and drop from within Basecamp
Yes, that's exactly how I do it

Do you use Send to device in Basecamp
No, never

Do you use Export in Basecamp
No, never

Or some other method?
No
Keep in mind this is for the 595 but I imagine the XT might be the same. Some XT user testing should be done. I'm going to start from the very beginning:

- Buy the appropriate SD card. A 64 gb works in the 595, don't know about larger.
- Device off. Insert card into the device. Turn device on. Device prompts formatting, say yes. When done turn device off.
- Start Base Camp. Let it completely boot up, I give it a couple minutes. It's really slow. Then plug device into computer with a usb cable. Again, let it completely boot. Takes a while.
- You should now see an added Memory Card/User Data under the device properties.

Base Camp Memory.JPG

- Simply drag and drop your route into the User Data. No need to make a file folder, the device does that for you. Just drag and drop, that's all.
- Import the route for use, just like always. Delete when no longer needed. Re-import if you want. Again, XT user testing should be done to see.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's it. I drag and drop routes to the User Data. Note that "custom" waypoints don't work this way. I say "custom" b/c let's say I make a waypoint of a gas station to stop at. It won't show up on the device if put in User Data. Drag and drop waypoints into Internal Storage. It will then be saved in the Favorites or Saved Places on the device.
I usually create routes in BC with it's installed Waypoint Symbols to choose from and rename them. I just ordered the Zumo XT and would like to start sending all future routes with re-named Waypoints to an installed SD Card on the XT. Please correct me if I'm wrong, renaming Garmins installed Waypoints will transfer with the route but, if I create a custom Waypoint other than Garmins, it will not transfer with the route. I'd like to add, I use a MacBook Pro M1 Max. Thanks
I can't help with the MacBook part, sorry. Nor can I help with the naming or symbols of way points, I don't use them for making routes.

Does a Mac have a "drag & drop" feature? In Windows, moving or copying a file can be done this way. If so, use it instead of the SEND command you've been using to place the file (your route) in User Memory (your SD Card). Dan mentioned he removes the card from the XT and puts it in his computer. I have never found a reason to do that, all my routes get put on my card without removing it from the XT.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Yes. Mac does have the drag & drop feature. This would definitely be quicker than removing the SD Card and inserting it into my MacBook Pro. With that being said, It does have it's advantages as Dan pointed out on a Mac. Eliminating Android file issues & routes being overwritten may make it worth while. Routes not being over written would be a big one for me. I'm going to try it in all of the different ways just to see what may be the perfect fit for myself. I'm glad that there are some options that can be used. Thanks for your input. Ray
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

I find it a lot easier and faster to mount the SD card on my iMac and transfer or copy or drag my Basecamp routes to a GPX folder on it (inside a Garmin folder) and then pop the card back into my XT. This avoids so many issues, ranging from Android file problems to routes being overwritten in the XT's internal storage and more. It lets you import routes when you need them and is, in my opinion, far superior to dealing with a connected XT.

-dan

Sounds like a great easy way to go! I will definitely try that out... I have a question if you don't mind; Since I want my routes on the SD Card, do I need to have Garmins Maps loaded on it as well or does it communicate with the loaded maps on the Zumo XT? Thank you for your input along with your Mac experience with this GPS.

Another question Dan... What format are you using for your SD Card on your iMac? I know Garmin states to use FAT32 but, as you know it's been changed to ExFat for quite some time. Thanks. Ray
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

I use FAT 32, which you can do using Disk Utility or the excellent SD Card Formatter app on my iMac. Route files, even long routes, are pretty small, so no need for ExFAT.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

@PaulaRay

Maps don't have to be changed just because you're pulling routes from the card.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

PaulaRay wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:37 pm Sounds like a great easy way to go! I will definitely try that out... I have a question if you don't mind; Since I want my routes on the SD Card, do I need to have Garmins Maps loaded on it as well or does it communicate with the loaded maps on the Zumo XT? Thank you for your input along with your Mac experience with this GPS.

Another question Dan... What format are you using for your SD Card on your iMac? I know Garmin states to use FAT32 but, as you know it's been changed to ExFat for quite some time. Thanks. Ray
You do NOT have to format a new SD card for the XT. The XT will do it for you. Simply put the card in place in the XT and turn on the XT. Be very patient. It will ask you if you want to format. Select yes. Your card is now ready for you to put routes on. Don't make this harder than it is. dan seems very adept at computers, no insult intended but it sounds like you are not. Stay away from all the computer gobbledy gook you'll read about. Keep it simple.

Really, please try it the easy way first.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

PaulaRay wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:37 pm Sounds like a great easy way to go! I will definitely try that out... I have a question if you don't mind; Since I want my routes on the SD Card, do I need to have Garmins Maps loaded on it as well or does it communicate with the loaded maps on the Zumo XT? Thank you for your input along with your Mac experience with this GPS.
You do nothing extra with maps. The routes you make and put on the SD card will use the maps in the XT. You mentioned that you use Base Camp so the most important thing is that BC maps on your computer and the maps in the XT be the same version. The XT may change your route when you import it if the maps are different.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:30 am
PaulaRay wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:37 pm Another question Dan... What format are you using for your SD Card on your iMac? I know Garmin states to use FAT32 but, as you know it's been changed to ExFat for quite some time. Thanks. Ray
You do NOT have to format a new SD card for the XT. The XT will do it for you. Simply put the card in place in the XT and turn on the XT. Be very patient. It will ask you if you want to format. Select yes. Your card is now ready for you to put routes on. Don't make this harder than it is. dan seems very adept at computers, no insult intended but it sounds like you are not. Stay away from all the computer gobbledy gook you'll read about. Keep it simple.

Really, please try it the easy way first.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT