Edit Route

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Re: Edit Route

Post by Fxwheels »

So basically, if you go A to B, it works fine, but not on custom routes.
Custom routing is their weakness. Several issues to work on.
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 609 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Maybe - I cannot test it now - if your detour doesn't involve passing any route points - via or shaping - then the detoru will work ok. There's one thing that it will always try to do - and that is to visit every point in the route in the correct sequence. ?

I cannot test it now because my XT froze on me today. The screen just stayed on the same display. After turning it off, it won't start up again.

So next week I'll send it back - they have sent me the return details and allocated a completely refurbished one.

So the question is now, which of our XTs is performing better ? It might be a close call !! I cannot fault the customer service though. It always has been excellent.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

jfheath wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:21 pm Maybe - I cannot test it now - if your detour doesn't involve passing any route points - via or shaping - then the detoru will work ok. There's one thing that it will always try to do - and that is to visit every point in the route in the correct sequence. ?
I'm yet to test it out. My impression is that the shaping points will be ignored only if you placed them off route and passed by. However, if the shaping point were placed somewhere on the road you're detouring - it will want to take you back there. Good point.
That being said, if you choose, say 1 mile, or say 5 miles detour, my thought that the nav should disregard all shaping points within 1 or 5 miles from where you are and the magenta line. Duno. That didn't happen on my detour no matter now many miles I set to detour. An instance that doesn't happens too often but is very important when does.

Freezing unit?? Hmm, maybe too much was going on in his "head" :). Oh, this was a problem with my Garmin Montana too. But I could restart it. I hope the other one won't have this problem. But at the end of the day... how can one rely on it on a serious trip?
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 609 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes I agree that it should decide where it needs to get you to, get you there and pick up the route from that point. There's no reason for it not to do that, given that it has closest entry point and select next destination facilities. Also the trip converted from a track feature will constantly find ways new ways to bet you back on track if you deviate. The algorithms required are already programmed in.

But if I was testing it, I'd make sure that the section being missed by a detour contained a shaping point. Then do the same detour again with no shaping point - see if it made a difference. Depending on the results, see what happens with more than one point and add via points in the mix.

Personally, i would never use detour, so it doesn't bother me enough to try to work out exactly what it is doing. I'm happy enough to ignore instructions and rejoin the route myself. I can miss as many shaping points as I want. I have to put up with the constant nagging but that stops as soon as i rejoin the route. That is why I only put in Via points where I need them for restarting a route after a break or for time/distance countdown to the next rest point.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Gefreiter Senf
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Gefreiter Senf »

On the test I did, the road I was trying to avoid had no via or shaping points on it. The next shaping point was around one mile further on and after where I assumed the re-routing would re-join my planned route. The road I was hoping it would re-route me to was 2 mile south and the ran parallel with the original route. My impression is A to B works ok, Following a planned route... not ok !
Fxwheels
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Yes, the above scenario was my case too. All Garmin had to do is to navigate on a parallel road for 1 mile and return to the route. Instead it was trying to send me back to the closed road.
So until they fix this bug in the future updates (if that ever happen) the solution is not to use a detour feature on the planned routes, but as jfheath said, just ignore the rerouting instructions until you get close to the route, in the meantime navigating detour using the nav's map.