Map install to PC locked, again, but solution found.

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Map install to PC locked, again, but solution found.

Post by Peobody »

I just updated my XT with map CN North America NT 2022.25 and the installed it to the PC but it ended up being locked in Basecamp (GE 7.9.1.0). I tried again running GE as administrator but it was still locked. I elevated my user privileges to Administrator then tried again and this time it was unlocked. I have vented about this before and feel the need to do it again so here goes...

It is absolutely ridiculous that map installs to the PC are user specific and require admin privileges in order to install unlocked!

Wish I felt better.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jbeevers
Great Britain

Re: Map install to PC locked, again, but solution found.

Post by jbeevers »

I have the same issue and am pleased you have found a work around.
I am not very tech savvy and could do with a bit of help on how to go about what you did.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

There are a lot of programs which need to be run as administrator - often just for installation - as it needs to be able to write to areas that normal users are prevented from accessing.

Load the installer, save it somewhere, right click and select Run As Administrator is the usual way around this. I don't know if this is what @Peobody did. Maybe he will be along again to reveal his tricks.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Back when I first encountered problems with both Garmin Express and Basecamp I identified that admin permissions were required but it also appeared that the installation was user specific (eg: if you installed it as the Admin user then tried to run when logged in as a standard user it they wouldn't work correctly). My solution was to temporarily elevate my standard user to an admin, do the installation logged in a me, and then demote my user back to standard. I believe the key is to be logged in as the user who will be using GE and Basecamp AND for that user to have admin privileges while doing any Garmin related installs, updates, or maps to PC. A ridiculous expectation by Garmin, especially for getting maps to a PC in an unlocked state.

Note: An unknown to me is whether starting GE with "Run as administrator" and then doing the map to PC transfer would result in an unlocked map.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I had an issue with a map update recently with BaseCamp reporting the map as locked, first time in over 10 years. Traced the issue to a Windows update that had changed the permissions on a folder used by Garmin, had to go into folder properties and change it from read only as it was preventing Express from installing the necessary unlock codes.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I had a problem once trying to install maps to a different folder from the one that Basecamp was expecting. (Basically, I don't like my stuff on Drive C if it isn't a program).

It seems that Basecamps solution to that was to create a shortcut in the folder where the map should have been installed to the folder where it actually was installed. So when Basecamp went looking for the filename, it found the shortcut instead and it was happy with that. Something like that.

But when I came to try it, it didn't work. Something must have changed and eversince, I have only ever installed maps where it expects me to install them - even if there is an option to change the installation path.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If you want to move maps JaVaWa's GMTK program will do that for you.

https://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html
jbeevers
Great Britain

Post by jbeevers »

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I am confused by terms like "load the installer" and also could do with more help on the file used by Garmin changed to read only. Which file please?
Raf
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Raf »

jbeevers wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:41 pm the file used by Garmin changed to read only. Which file please?
I'm interested in knowing too
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Can't recall now, but just check all your Garmin folders.