Where Used

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
chuck
United States of America

Where Used

Post by chuck »

I'm using vs 4.74 on a pc with a Zumo XT
While creating routes I often create waypoints to insert in the routes. Once and awhile I attempt to create a waypoint and basecamp says the name already exists. First I'll look in my Unlisted Data to see if it's there. Next I'll select My Collection and look to see if I used that waypoint name somewhere else. If I still can't find it the name was probably used as a via point or a shaping point somewhere. With My Collection still selected all the routes and points will show up on the map. I'll look in the vicinity on the map where my new point is going for any other points around it and start mousing over the points to see if I find my duplicate. Otherwise it would be a real pain to manually look at all the points is all my routes. It doesn't seem like the search function can do this. Is there a way to a search through the database looking for a particular name? Am I missing something ?
betthe
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: Where Used

Post by betthe »

Try selecting 'My Collection' then switching the map with the my collection in the lower left corner. When you have your collection in the large window, click on the 'name tab' at the top of then window and it will be sorted in alphabetical order. Once you learn it you should be able to find your waypoint in 5sec or less.
Once you find it, open it to the reference tab to see where you have used it. If you delete or move it, it will affect all routes or locations that you used it.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

At the bottom of the pane where your routes, waypoints and tracks are displayed for the currentl selected list or list folder, there are a number of tiny icons. These select a filter to show only routes, only waypoints, only tracks, or show everything. Unfortunately, that bottom pane doesn't show route points that are not waypoints - the ones that are dragged and dropped using the route or the insert tool.

As @betthe indicated you have to be careful of deleting items. No matter how many times you have used a waypoint, there is only one entry for it in the database. All of the appearances of the waypoint in various lists or folders are links or pointers to that single entry. This is why, when you edit a single waypoint to add time, data, telephone number etc, you don't have to edit the other places that you have used the same waypoint.

If you Delete a waypoint, it deletes the actual entry in the database. All of the pointers to it will then disappear too.
If you Remove a waypoint, it removes the selected pointer, not the actual waypoint in the database.
If you remove the last pointer to a waypoint, in theory it should remove the database entry as well, but I have noticed that sometimes it requires BC to be restarted before it allows you to create a new point that has the same name.

Remove and delete unique content (updated). If you select a list or a folder the option to 'Remove and Delete Unique Content' is available from a right click (on the PC) and from the Edit menu. This will get rid of the selected list/folder along with any items in it that only appear in that list or folder. Items that also appear in another list or folder are simply removed but the orignal data item remains intact for the links that are used in other lists or folders.

I don't remember seeing a facility for showing the additional 'inserted' route points that have been dragged and dropped, rather than created as a Waypoint.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If you remove the last pointer from a data item it will still be there but in the Unlisted data list. Until you remove it from there you cannot reuse the name
chuck
United States of America

Post by chuck »

betthe wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:22 pm Try selecting 'My Collection' then switching the map with the my collection in the lower left corner. When you have your collection in the large window, click on the 'name tab' at the top of then window and it will be sorted in alphabetical order. Once you learn it you should be able to find your waypoint in 5sec or less.
Once you find it, open it to the reference tab to see where you have used it. If you delete or move it, it will affect all routes or locations that you used it.
Using my above method (looking at the map for close points) I found that the duplicate point was in fact a named shaping point in another route. Your method does not show via or shaping points which is what I'm looking for. From what I gather BC does not have any kind of universal search. If you end up with a duplicate name and it's not a standard object such as a standalone waypoint, track or route you are stuck. It's obvious that BC does index all the names used everywhere because it couldn't come up with the duplicate error if it didn't.

It would be a nice feature to show you the duplicate / duplicates if it came up with a duplicate error or at least let you search the index. I guess I could export my whole collection as a gpx or txt file and search the file for the name. That of course would be a last ditch effort.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

chuck wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:04 pm Your method does not show via or shaping points which is what I'm looking for.
It seems that there isn't a way to find points that were not first created as Waypoints. ie the points that were added with the insert or route tool.
Any point can be a Via or Shaping Point - so that distinction is not relevant.

So short of exporting the entire database as a GPX file, and then searching for it - as you suggested, I am a bit lost.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.