DB failed to load

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
stkm04
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

DB failed to load

Post by stkm04 »

Hi there -

Something strange happened this morning. When I started BC (I still run version 4.4.6) after installing the new Garmin Maps database this morrning, everything (waypoints, routes, etc.) was gone. :o

I checked the data directory (...\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\BaseCamp\Database) and saw that there were two sub-folder: Once called 4.6 with a creation data of when I opened BC last, and a brand new (today's date and time) filed named 4.4.

I looked into 4.6 and saw that the database apparently had some data (AllData.gdb had a decent size, and there was a .bak file), while the db in 4.4 had none (AllData.gdb only 1kb, no .bak file).

I deleted 4.4 and coped/renamed 4.6 to 4.4, restarted BC and everything works.

My questions are:
- Is the naming of those subfolders somehow related to the BC version?
- If so, why would BC go back in version (from 4.6 to 4.4)
- In any case, can someone explain what happened?

Thanks so much!
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Re: DB failed to load

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

My questions are:
- Is the naming of those subfolders somehow related to the BC version?
Yes. Each time my BC has updated with a major update the database was copied over to a new folder. When I finally learned this I had several folders in my PC; 4.4, 4.5, 4.6. I deleted all of them except the latest one. I make it a point to make a copy of the database folder once in a while, usually when I work on routes. I'm running 4.7.x , the most current version with no issues. Not sure why you are remaining with an old version.

- If so, why would BC go back in version (from 4.6 to 4.4)
At some point did you update BC, when 4.6 was the latest version? Then went back to 4.4.?

- In any case, can someone explain what happened?
No idea why.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
stkm04
United States of America

Post by stkm04 »

>> At some point did you update BC, when 4.6 was the latest version? Then went back to 4.4.?

Yes, apparently, because the 4.6 folder contains data from 11/5 (that's when I launched BC before today) and the 4.4 folder was created today. I even found the 4.6.2 installer. I am at a total loss why the BC would revert to 4.4 today.

I think I am going to reinstall the 4.6.2 version. Or should I go with the 4.7.4 version? Opinions? Thoughts?
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FWIW, 4.7.4 has been solid for me on Win10 20H2 and one use so far on 21H1.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

4.7.4 Is working well for me.

The one thing I am not keen on in BC is having all of my routes in one place. So I have a number of databases for different purposes, and switch to the one that I want.

There is useful info here about moving databases to a different location and other related stuff.

app.php/ZXT-P79

ALSO

This link shows all of the changes. You will spot a few things that may encourage you to update. Backup your database first. Then you can reinstate it after update.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... sp?id=4435

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
stkm04
United States of America

Post by stkm04 »

Thanks!

BTW, unfortunately the app.php/ZXT-P79 does not work.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks @stkm04

It works for me - but

You have to be a member (which you are) and you must be logged on to view these pages.

That particular short link will not work if you just use the link that is shown on the screen. The full URL can usually be seen when you hover over the link. But it won't work for non members or for members who are not logged on.

Please let me know if it still doesn't work.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
stkm04
United States of America

Post by stkm04 »

Hey - Correct, I need to be logged in to use that link. My bad. Thanks for the clarification!