Spoken Navigation stops after "Proceed to highlighted route"

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Keef
Been liked: 2 times
France

Spoken Navigation stops after "Proceed to highlighted route"

Post by Keef »

My Zumo XT only gives the initial spoken navigation - "Proceed to highlighted route" and nothing after that.

Ive tried the same test with and without headset connection and the result is the same.

Spoken navigation is checked along with spoken traffic alerts and button presses.

I know the headset is still connected to the Zumo as the bluetooth symbol is lit and I hear "Proceed to highlighted route" and subsequent button presses as clear clicks.

But no other navigation.

I've tried a route defined on BaseCamp and send to device. And I've tried a route devised by the Zumo to find a favourite. I get the same each time - "Proceed to highlighted route" and nothing else!

Has anyone got and idea why this is?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Spoken Navigation stops after "Proceed to highlighted route"

Post by jfheath »

I suspect this has nothing to do with the speech stopping.

In settings, turn /navigation / Off Route Recalculation to Automatic. Try that.
Reason being is that if you have it disabled, and you go off route (as far as the satnav is concerned) then it stops talking and leaves you to get on with it.
Also in Navaigation / Avoidances - allow U-Turns. If you disallow them and you head in the wrong direction and the satnav has no way to get you to go in the right direction it will navigate you for 20 miles until it finds side roads to get you to go back the other way. If you have U turns allowed, then it will repeatedly ask you to turn round. Annotying, but it tells you immediately that the satnav reckons the next point of your route is behind you, rather than letting you work it out for yourself.

If this doesn't cure it . I'd need to see where you are in relation to the route and what shaping / Via points you have in place.

The reason for this is that if you are actually on the route, but the satnav wants you to go in the opposite direction (eg if you have missed the start point), then you are not on the route - as far as the XT is concerned. - So it wont talk.

If you have just started the route - try shifting the start point a mile up the road to a place that you will definitely pass through. Often when starting, the stanav isn't actually on the point that you plot as the start, and it is a Via point - which you absolutley must pass through. Sometimes the satnav hasn't got an accurate fix when you first turn it on. So although you visited the start point, the satnav wasn't getting an accurate enough fix to realise.

Another option is to press the SKip button - which cures the symptoms, but it doesn't tell you why it is doing it. The above essay does .

Probably !

If not get back to me.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Keef
France

Post by Keef »

Hi

I've already tried all of these combinations with no joy.
Route re-calc us set to auto and the route does correct in that in on the road and in bring tracked.
I've also stopped randomly and told the Zumo to "take me home" so not using a predefined route.
Still no voice.
However, this afternoon I changed the voice to "Jane" and I got one instruction immediately after starting the route and that was it - I couldn't get it to repeat the trick.
Do still no voice.
I'm begging to wonder if maybe there is something wrong or incomplete with the maps - or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Regards
Keef
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok

Check the Volume settings in particular the mixer and the mute button.

Are you sure you are running a route and not trying to navigate a track ?

Have you got another map from somewhere else loaded - eg OSM maps. (you would know - you will have instaleld them). If so, make sure that you don't have two maps for the same area ticked in Settings->Map & Vehicle -> My Maps

Is your Zumo connected to a Bluetooth device and sending the speech through another device - Disable BT to test.
(I'm ignoring the fact that it says 'Proceed to highlighted route - that might be being issued before it then connects to a BT device).

A cold power off might help. Hold in the power button until the screen asks if you want to switch off. Turn off and then restart.

Failing that a factory reset might cure it - but backup any data that you want to keep - eg archive track logs, waypoints, routes etc.
Settings -> Device -> Reset ->Delete Data and Rest Settings.

What version of software are you running ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Keef
France

Post by Keef »

Ok lots to go at here so from the top;

Volume is set via the mixer spoken nav is high. I can hear the "proceed" instruction loud and clear with and without BT.

Definitely a Track. Prepared using BaseCamp. The same fault occurs if I stop randomly and then tell the Zumo to route me home.

My Maps. This is an interesting one (I've not looked in here before) in addition to the standard Zumo maps (7 in total) I have one of my own. All 8 maps are ticked!
So should I only have one map ticked? They are all pan-european do does it matter which one?
Which one is best?

BT. I've proved the lack of voice with and without BT - results are the same. As an additional check I enabled keyboard sounds and I can here keyboard clicks when there is no voice.

I did the cold power off s few days ago - no difference.

I'll un-tick all of the maps bar one and test tomorrow.

I'll have to park this problem then as I'm packed and the Zumo loaded ready for a 7 day tour. I can't risk losing everything with a factory reset. If the un-ticking of maps does not solve the problem I'll factory reset when I get back and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for your prompt response(s). They're appreciated.

Regards
Keef
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It is OK to have all of the maps ticked if they are the maps that came with the Garmin.

But you have installed an extra map. So you need to untick that one or the CN Europe NTU All North and/or All South - so that you don't have two maps ticked if they cover the same area. I removed my OSM maps, so it is as new after a few factory resets. I have 7 items listed in myMaps, all ticked. Thats OK - they are the ones that came with the XT.

BUT.

Are you sure that they are tracks from Basecamp ?
Just to be sure we are not talking at cross purposes:

ROUTEs are navigated by selecting the Trip Planner App.
TRACKS are navigated on the map either with the track app on the main screen, or with the Apps -> Track button.

If the 'routes' that you have created are all TRACKS - then the XT doesn't navigate tracks with turn by turn directions. Which would explain why you aren't hearing any ! In this case there are two options.

EITHER - stay as you are now.

There is nothing wrong with using a track - many users do. It stays exactly where it is on the map, it never recalculates. Where you planned to go, that is what is drawn. Load the track. Go. It will not talk to you, but it shows up as a magenta line, just like a route. If you go off route at any points, the XT draws a dotted straight line to the closest point of the original track and tells you how far 'off course' you are. It doesn't try to navigate you back to the track. But the distance and general direction is surprisingly useful on the road.

OR

You can use your Zumo XT to convert the track to a 'Trip'. This takes the original track and makes it ito a 'Trip' that will give you instructions. It gives turn by turn directions, and if you go off course, it will find the closest point of the 'Trip' to where you are but this time it works out a way to get you there. It can be a bit confusing seeing it do this at first - because the closest point moves as you move - and it keeps recalculating to get you to its new closest point. Initially, the closest point will be immediately behind you , but then as you move further away, there will be a closer point up ahead that it will aim for. If you come across a new by-pass which turns you off to the left of a village - the satnav will keep telling you to go back to the original, and every right turn it will try to take you down that. Eventually you join up with the original, and all is well again.

But the original track never alters. It only does this if you wander away from the course that you plotted.

To turn the track into a 'Trip' - select the track you want from the list. This displays the preview map.
Press the spanner icon (top left on landscape view).
Here you can set the track colour and track width. - which you can also show on the map. If you do, black is a good colour.
Further down is the option to 'Convert to Trip'.
It gives you the option of going Start to Finish - or the other way.
Give it the name you want - it suggests the same name as the track. I'd add the word 'Trip' to the end, so that you can recognise what it is.
You can now load the 'trip' in the Trip Planner App.

To load it.
Apps ->Trip Planner->Saved Trips ->Choose the name that you saved. Note the warning message. If you edit it it will calculate the fastest time to the end. Don't edit it !! Choose Go, and choose either Begin or Closest Entry Point.
Start.
Hey presto - turn by turn directions from a track.

Whenever you see a large white arrow on the map, you should see instructions on the top bar, and you should hear spoken instructions.

The original track is still there to use if you wish. And if you set the option to show the track on the map in black, it should be very obvious when you wander away from where you plotted to go.

This is not the way that most people use the XT. We normally plot routes, not tracks. But it works and it may suit you better.
-----------------------

Word of warning if you transferred to internal memory. Do not be tempted to connect to Basecamp again and add a couple of extra last minute things. The XT doesn't like that, and it can lose stuff that you have previously transferred. If you must transfer some new stuff to internal memory, transfer the old stuff again as well.

No such problem if you transferred to SD Card- but don't change it now !!

Hope you have a brilliant 7 day tour.

Keef
France

Post by Keef »

Thanks for that. I'll take an in-depth view when I get back but stick to visuals for now.
Thanks for your time.
Regards
Keef
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

My thought is that you're riding a track, not a turn by turn direction route.
Either converted it to a route or just import it as route.
This relates to the custom routing.

What if you just entering the address or click on Home. It should give you vocal directions. If not, reset the unit. Problem remains, contact Garmin.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Keef wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:00 pm My Zumo XT only gives the initial spoken navigation - "Proceed to highlighted route" and nothing after that.

Ive tried the same test with and without headset connection and the result is the same.

Spoken navigation is checked along with spoken traffic alerts and button presses.

I know the headset is still connected to the Zumo as the bluetooth symbol is lit and I hear "Proceed to highlighted route" and subsequent button presses as clear clicks.

But no other navigation.

I've tried a route defined on BaseCamp and send to device. And I've tried a route devised by the Zumo to find a favourite. I get the same each time - "Proceed to highlighted route" and nothing else!

Has anyone got and idea why this is?
My unit used to do the same if I had an aftermarket, ie not 'Garmin' OSM map selected. Once disabled, it worked perfectly.
Keef
France

Post by Keef »

RESULT.

De-selected the non-Gsrmin map and u now have voice guidance and descriptive navigational text across the top of the screen.

All is well :D

Thanks for the assistance.
Regards
Keef