BMW navigator mount to Zumo XT 3dam adapter

Wondering how to mount your Garmin Zumo? feel free to ask in here or even show off your mounting method.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW navigator mount to Zumo XT adapter

Post by Stu »

@Navat2021 the RT will keep power to all accessories for around 30 seconds after switch off then the power will be cut and the zumo will shut down after around 15 seconds from the power being cut provided you don't hit cancel on the screen

That's all normal behaviour

Just turn the bike off and wait and you will see it :)
Navat2021
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Navat2021 »

Okay Stu, got it! I suppose I did not wait long enough! Heading down to garage to check again...Thanks!!!
Navat2021
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Navat2021 »

Okay, checked and verified....Shut down of bike/Zumo is indeed as you had described...I actually counted (probably should have used my watch instead...) and it appeared to me the whole process took something closer to a full one minute but all good! Thanks much!
anson6072
Taiwan

Post by anson6072 »

Stu wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:02 pm
Fourbears wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:01 pm Stu I think I may have the charging problem as it does not always show the XT charging. It sometimes tells me it’s going to switch off while riding but I just press cancel. So spill the beans on the charging then!
Its the voltage converter that is inside the adapter

It puts out something like 5.11v which is fine but as soon as you connect the XT the voltage drops to below 5v which is not enough to charge it

I replaced mine with an adjustable one and set it at 5.15v and it works perfectly now (although not tested for a long period)

If you are OK with a soldering iron its an easy fix its just de-solder the converter thats in there and putting a new one on 4 wires to do

this is the one I bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294047091545 ... %3A2047675

Well I got 10 to be honest rather cheap :lol:

This is the one that needs removing

20211020_162804.jpg

You carefully peel the back cover off and its there

Once you have put the new one in its just a case of setting the voltage (which I do on the bench first then solder it in) then glue the back cover back on
Can you provide the link of converter again? Looks like the previous link was dead.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

anson6072 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:15 am
Stu wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:02 pm
Fourbears wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:01 pm Stu I think I may have the charging problem as it does not always show the XT charging. It sometimes tells me it’s going to switch off while riding but I just press cancel. So spill the beans on the charging then!
Its the voltage converter that is inside the adapter

It puts out something like 5.11v which is fine but as soon as you connect the XT the voltage drops to below 5v which is not enough to charge it

I replaced mine with an adjustable one and set it at 5.15v and it works perfectly now (although not tested for a long period)

If you are OK with a soldering iron its an easy fix its just de-solder the converter thats in there and putting a new one on 4 wires to do

this is the one I bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294047091545 ... %3A2047675

Well I got 10 to be honest rather cheap :lol:

This is the one that needs removing

20211020_162804.jpg

You carefully peel the back cover off and its there

Once you have put the new one in its just a case of setting the voltage (which I do on the bench first then solder it in) then glue the back cover back on
Can you provide the link of converter again? Looks like the previous link was dead.
Just something like this would be fine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224643331721 ... R_6-8tSCYQ
KURTDREGER
United States of America

Re: BMW navigator mount to Zumo XT 3dam adapter

Post by KURTDREGER »

I have a 2019 R1250 RT and I just bought this adapter for my Zumo xt. Once assembled, how does it fit into the bike? The only videos I have found are for the GSA installation where a modification to the slide/locking mechanism is required. For the RT, does it just plug right into the cradle for the Navigator VI?
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Re: BMW navigator mount to Zumo XT 3dam adapter

Post by Stu »

KURTDREGER wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:03 pm does it just plug right into the cradle for the Navigator VI?
Exactly that

Attach your zumo to it then pop in in the Nav mount and you're good to go :)