Area Avoidances definitions - how to copy to another PC?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Grispoil
Canada

Area Avoidances definitions - how to copy to another PC?

Post by Grispoil »

I asked this question in the official basecamp forum, however, I did not get any answer. Maybe I will be more lucky here.

Basecamp allows you to define Area Avoidances and I find this feature very useful, however, I have not found a way to copy my definitions from one PC to another. They are not in the GarminDB files.

Where are those area avoidances definitions located and how do you copy them to another PC, if possible?

Same question with the Activity Profiles defined on one PC, how do I copy them over to another PC?

Thanks
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Area Avoidances definitions - how to copy to another PC?

Post by sussamb »

Given that the activity profiles contain the area avoidances in that avoidances set up in an activity profile are only applicable to that profile and not a global setting then your only issue is transferring the activity profiles. Are you sure they don't transfer when you transfer databases?
khunpaul
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by khunpaul »

As I have replied elsewhere, when I change pc I do a backup from basecamp using the backup function in the file menu and then do a restore on new pc from the backup file created. This might include avoidances etc. I don’t recall.
Grispoil
Canada

Post by Grispoil »

sussamb wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:08 pm Given that the activity profiles contain the area avoidances in that avoidances set up in an activity profile are only applicable to that profile and not a global setting then your only issue is transferring the activity profiles. Are you sure they don't transfer when you transfer databases?
Hi sussamb,

I have placed my Garmin DB on a cloud based storage solution (OneDrive) so I can work on my home PC and Laptop using same database (not at the same time of course). This works fine, any modification made on one PC is seen on the other PC, except, for the activity profile/area avoidances stuff. This is why I can say with certainty that this data is not in the database.

I also checked the windows registry or for files in the application data folders but I cannot find anything that looks like profile/area avoidances.

So, I guess I am out of luck.

Thanks for your time.
Grispoil
Canada

Post by Grispoil »

khunpaul wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:59 pm As I have replied elsewhere, when I change pc I do a backup from basecamp using the backup function in the file menu and then do a restore on new pc from the backup file created. This might include avoidances etc. I don’t recall.
Hello khunpaul ,

I have tried a backup/restore, however, the activity profile/area avoidances stuff was NOT restored on the second PC.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Grispoil
Canada

Post by Grispoil »

Someone (DaveA_) on the garmin forum suggested the following:
Garmin did not provide a user friendly way to do this. I have done it several times using Regedit. Read up on Regedit on the net to understand the potential for damage to your system. The way I do it is:

On the source PC

Launch Regedit.

Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Garmin\BaseCamp\Data\Profiles

Right click on Profiles and select Export. Select a path and filename to export to.

Copy the .reg file just created to a USB stick or somehow get the file to the target computer

On the target PC open explorer and navigate to the .reg file you created.

Double click the .reg file. Pay attention to the warning and continue if you feel good about it.

All profile data and avaidances are now on the target PC.
https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software ... another-pc

And I am glad to report that it worked.
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

their is a nice cmd file for this and other basecamp settings like driving profiles

https://www-javawa-nl.translate.goog/ba ... tr_pto=nui

or the original dutch version

https://www.javawa.nl/backupbasecamp.html

this exports and import registry settings. so be careful and backup first if you want to be safe
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT