Show Saved Places on Main Map

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
slane6
Has liked: 9 times
United States of America

Show Saved Places on Main Map

Post by slane6 »

I would like my Saved Places / Favorites to show up on my main map while I am riding. The waypoints are correctly imported and are showing in Saved Places (I don't have Explore enabled because if F's everything up and is useless), I can use Where To to search for them, can even click on the map icon in the upper right corner of the Where To page and see them on that map and select one, but:
I they do not display on the main navigation map as I am just riding around. On other units they will just display and as I'm riding around it will show on the main map. This way I can see a waypoint of something interesting and decide to go to it.
There have been several threads on how to properly get waypoints onto the XT - they are there, I just want to see them as I'm riding :)
Help?
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Re: Show Saved Places on Main Map

Post by Oop North John »

I managed, somehow with Explorer, to get it showing the waypoints on the screen. Masses of green flags cluttering the screen a real PITA. So, if you find out how to display them, then I'll be interested as it might mean I can unclutter my screen.
slane6
Has liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by slane6 »

Yep, I'm trying to do it without Explorer as it messes up many other things. Explorer is great for when I use it with my Hiking GPS units, but is utterly useless and counter productive when for the Zumo XT. Whey they even linked it is beyond me. Though I suspect it is because they have discontinued BaseCamp and are going to try to force people to use Explore as it's replacement :evil:
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Oop North John wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:12 pm I managed, somehow with Explorer, to get it showing the waypoints on the screen. Masses of green flags cluttering the screen a real PITA. So, if you find out how to display them, then I'll be interested as it might mean I can unclutter my screen.
If the waypoints have come from Explore, then they are made visible and invisible by adding them into 'collections' and the contents of a collection can be shown on the map.

Where to? - Explore - Collections.

If you haven't made any collections, then there is a catch-all 'Unorganised' Collection. Everything is probably in that.

This is the same place that you can make tracks visible if you have the link to Explore enabled.

slane6 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:54 pm I would like my Saved Places / Favorites to show up on my main map while I am riding.
Help?
edit / update:
This is 'controlled' in Map & Vehicle / Map Layers / Up Ahead Places. I use the term controlled very loosely. They are made visible if you turn it on, but that turns on other 3 kinds of places as well - which you can select from the lists by clciking each one.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Dunno if this would work, but you might try creating a custom category containing the Favourites you wish to show, and see if you can select this category in "Up Ahead".
Colin
BMW R1250RS
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

slane6 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:34 pm Yep, I'm trying to do it without Explorer as it messes up many other things. Explorer is great for when I use it with my Hiking GPS units, but is utterly useless and counter productive when for the Zumo XT. Whey they even linked it is beyond me. Though I suspect it is because they have discontinued BaseCamp and are going to try to force people to use Explore as it's replacement :evil:
I've read the complaints about what Explore messes up, and thankfully it's all stuff that I never deal with. The online synching/editing capability of Explore is - for me - actually quite nice! I have been able to clean up a ton of junk that has accumulated over the years as I pass my waypoint list from device to device.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

jfheath wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:55 am edit / update:
This is 'controlled' in Map & Vehicle / Map Layers / Up Ahead Places. I use the term controlled very loosely. They are made visible if you turn it on, but that turns on other 3 kinds of places as well - which you can select from the lists by clciking each one.
That seems to work, :D how well hidden it is.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I discovered a few weeks ago that the favourites only show up if they were in the last batch to be transferred.

So as with routes when transferring from Basecamp to internal memory, make sure that everything that you want in the XT is all transferred during the same USB connection.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Milu23771
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Italy

Post by Milu23771 »

I have created an Explore collection called Waypoints, in which I insert all the points that I consider important, I don't add tracks, routes or even those Waypoints that I create for occasional motorcycle rides. If I find myself somewhere and see an interesting place, which I would probably like to revisit, all I do is take my smartphone, open the Explore app and create a new Waypoint, which I will then add to the collection. By making only that collection visible, I have all my points superimposed on the map.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes - that is a good use @Milu23771

When the link is set up to the Explore website on the XT, Stored Waypoints come from the Explore App. Exactly as you described.

If Explore is not set up, Stored Waypoints come from the route that has been created in Basecamp and transferred to the XT. They appear in Favourites (sometimes called 'Saved') and then show up on the map as square, green icons much larger than the Explore style icons. The original poster referred to 'favourites' rather than 'waypoints' - so I assumed that he did not have Explore set up.

Currently, I do not have Explore set up on my unit. It doesn't offer me anything that I want to use. But that isn't a recommendation. I can see that for some people it has a lot of attractive features - particularly tha ability to creat a waypoint using the explore app on a smartphone.

For anyone looking in, there are about 9 illustrated pages on these features that I put on this site here:
app.php/ZXT-P55