"Locking" Toolbar

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
maddscot
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

"Locking" Toolbar

Post by maddscot »

Is there a way to lock the Toolbar in BaseCamp? When I open to plan a route, the Toolbar is often changed or moved around (i.e. not the way I set it up). It's driving my OCD crazy! Searched but found no answer...

PS> many thanks to all as I have gotten fairly used to BaseCamp, now I find it useful in planning routes. Keeping the XT and the TomTom will be backup.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Re: "Locking" Toolbar

Post by sussamb »

Strange as my BaseCamp opens as I left it. Are you on a mac or Windows?
maddscot
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by maddscot »

sussamb wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:13 pm Strange as my BaseCamp opens as I left it. Are you on a mac or Windows?
I am on Windows 10 / Laptop. I reviewed Options an apparently this has been a "feature request" to Garmin for a time.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Mine usually stays as it is, but if I change screen resolution, or shift it to the other screen (I have 2), then it can get confused. Ditto if the PC gets turned off without shutting down.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
axamax
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by axamax »

Set it up the way you want it. Then save as a template and give it the same name as the standard template. Ie New European Map.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

If I change mine, it stays exactly as I have changed it.

Screen resolution does mess it up a bit though - because it keeps the sttings that it had when I last used it - so one computer can change it for the other computer when you use that.

This may work if your version of windows and your account permits it. Sometimes the normal user account doesn't allow the computer to make the changes that the program needs it to.

So it may be possible that it (Basecamp) has never been setup with any settings. Try running Basecamp as administrator, make some changes and exit. Then load it again - see if it keeps those changes.

To run a program as administrator in Windows 10:
  • Click the windows icon bottom left.
  • Start Typing 'Basecamp' - after a few letters, the Basecamp program should appear in the list.
  • Right click on Basecamp and select Run as Administrator.
If you find that you need to always run it as administrator, then create a shortcut.
To do that, do the same as above, but instead of clicking 'Run as Administrator':
  • Select Open File location.
  • Right click on Basecamp in the folder contents that is dsiplayed, and select 'Create a Shortcut'. Put it on the desktop.
  • Find the Basecamp shortcut icon on the desktop, Right click it and select 'Properties'. Click the advanced button.
  • Click the checkbox - Run as Administrator.
Then whenever you click the shortcut it will run as administrator.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.