Hi Ya'all, I just installed my XT and have some questions.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
BR Can
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Canada

Hi Ya'all, I just installed my XT and have some questions.

Post by BR Can »

Hello all, I've been using the Zumo 660 for five years, and decided to get the Zumo XT. I installed it on my 09 Gold Wing a couple days ago, and yesterday was the first time I got to use it, and so far love it. I do have a couple questions hopefully I can get an answer for.

When I called Garmin before I bought it I asked can I import routes from mapsource since that is what I have. They said yes, but when I just tried it didn't find my XT. I went to basecamp and imported a route from mapsource, and it seemed to work. Now I don't know how to access it on the XT. On the 660 it was very easy to do.

The next question is, I imported all my favorites from my 660 to my XT, but I would like to create another category in Saved (favorites). I can't see a spot that I can do this.

I appreciate all the help I can get, thanks.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Hi Ya'all, I just installed my XT and have some questions.

Post by sussamb »

Route should be in Trip Planner.

If you want to use MapSource you can do so but you need to switch your Zumo to mass storage mode.

Creating categories in favourites is done by editing a favourite and adding the new category, you can't simply create a blank one. You can also assign categories in BaseCamp to waypoints and then send them to your device.
BR Can
Has liked: 2 times
Canada

Post by BR Can »

Thank you for the information sussamb, I did it a different way but will try your way.

I imported a route from mapsource to basecamp and loaded it that way.

For the categories, I clicked on a saved contact and hit the "info" button and put in the category I wanted and erased the "address" that the zumo put it under.
yamaha07
Sweden

Post by yamaha07 »

Hmmmm... I
I do not have the choice to choose mass storage, I wonder why?
Sorry for kidnapping the thread
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

As the Zumo XT is using Android as base, there is no 'Mass Storage Mode' any more! Using Mapsource with the Zumo XT is limited to export routes or tracks in Mapsource as .gpx-files and copying them manually to the Zumo XT...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Ah ok, didn't realise that, thanks.
yamaha07
Sweden

Post by yamaha07 »

Thanks "Rofor" but very sorry for me, I hate Basecamp and like Mapsource :)
Toronto Paul
Has liked: 1 time
Canada

Post by Toronto Paul »

yamaha07 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:58 am Thanks "Rofor" but very sorry for me, I hate Basecamp and like Mapsource :)
AMEN!
1998 BMW R1200C - Zumo XT
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

yamaha07 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:58 am Thanks "Rofor" but very sorry for me, I hate Basecamp and like Mapsource :)
You can expect to have a few problems then. Basecamp and the XT use shaping points and via points as distinct components of a route.
Mapsource does not - and before you say 'mapsource has via points' - you need to know that Basecamp and the zumos with the trip planner app (39x, 59x, XT) gave the term different characteristics that mapsource does not know about.

The jump to Basecamp from mapsource is not a massive one. Many of the same features exist, its just a case of finding them.

Mapsource has one file per route. Basecamp uses a database to organise many routes. So individual tours, days and routes can be displayed on the map at the click of a button. But you can set up multiple databases if you wish. I start a new one every year or so - depending how much riding I do.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Whiteshark
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Whiteshark »

The original version of Basecamp I strugled with, having used Basecamp for a few years now, planning a route is very similar to how you do it in Mapsource.
The main differsence between Mapsource and Basecamp is the filing system, once you have mastered that, you are there.
Try and find a tutorial on Basecamp and you won't look back.