Problem uploading routes

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
wingnit
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Problem uploading routes

Post by wingnit »

The problem I am having is if I create a few routes (the number of routes doesn't matter) and I load them all at once, only one will load. I have to load them one at a time and disconnect cable then put the battery cover on and import that route one at a time. For some reason that just doesn't seem right. Can someone let me know if they are having the same problem. If there is a fix please let me know what it is.
Thank you for all your help. I am using the Garmin 665
Last edited by wingnit on Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Problem uploading routes

Post by sussamb »

Welcome to the forum. I've separated this post from the original thread as it's a different topic.

Please confirm which device you have and what you're using to transfer routes to your device?
wingnit
United States of America

Post by wingnit »

Has anyone had a problem loading two or more routes at one time. What happens to me is only one route will upload to the 665. Just wondering if anyone had the same problem.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Sorry but you're not answering the question. What are you using to send the routes to your 665? It would also be helpful to know your work flow?

FYI Garmin don't recommend BaseCamp for use with a 665, see https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=i ... wZpVKmw7t9
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

wingnit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:48 pm Has anyone had a problem loading two or more routes at one time. What happens to me is only one route will upload to the 665. Just wondering if anyone had the same problem.
Is there difference between 660 & 665 when it comes to transferring routes?
I've been using the Z660 on my Wing for at least 7years. I do all my route planning on Basecamp and although it sometimes seems slow, the routes always transfer from Windows laptop to Zumo. I do transfer multiple routes but always directly to the SD card (in the 660) with the Zumo connected.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I echo @sussamb's assertion that Basecamp is no longer a good tool for the 660 and 665. It can produce random results in certain circumstances. Some people will have no problems, other will. It depends what your file contains, and Garmin don't give any clues. The problem is that Basecamp now adds in extra details in the route in order to cater for the Zumos with the trip planner app - which since it was written after the 660s were in production, the 660 doesn't know what to do with some of the data. It should ignore it, but ....

You haven't stated specifically how you load the route into your 660. So you may or may not know that in order to get routes from Bsecamp/Mapsource into your 660, you transfer the routes in one operation from the PC/Mac, then before you can use them, they have to be imported. This import operation is carried out on the Zumo after the USB cable has been disconnected. You can import all in one go, or select just the ones that you want to import. Once the route(s) have been imported, you can select ONE route to be loaded and used for navigation. When you have finsihed with that, you can STOP it, and load another one from the list of imported routes.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

wingnit wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:54 am The problem I am having is if I create a few routes (the number of routes doesn't matter) and I load them all at once, only one will load. I have to load them one at a time and disconnect cable then put the battery cover on and import that route one at a time. For some reason that just doesn't seem right. Can someone let me know if they are having the same problem. If there is a fix please let me know what it is.
Thank you for all your help. I am using the Garmin 665
As said, you really need to clarify what program you are using to transfer the routes, and where to. But, I'll take a stab at it anyway.

I have a 450 and a 550. I am guessing that they process transfers in a similar way to your 665. And, yes, I was experiencing a similar frustration. I would transfer several routes and when I would restart the 550, it would report that it had new data, but only one of the routes was there.

Problem was, I was transferring each route to the GPS, ONE at a TIME. This will cause each transfer to over write the previous one. What I did, was I copied each of the routes (in MapSource) into ONE file. Then, with that one file open, I selected ALL of the routes, and then transferred ALL of them in one single transfer. Then, when the GPS reported that it had new data, ALL of the routes were there in the new data and I could import each of them on the GPS. Since I have the 450 and 550, and also a Zumo 590, I keep copies of these routes in both MapSource and in Basecamp. The routes in MapSource I add MS to the end of the file name - the route name is still the same in both.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

I used to have a Garmin Zumo 660 and it would often crash when using basecamp and asking it to transfer multiple routes to my GPS (via USB lead), no error message appeared, the GPS would just shut down and then restart. I found transferring one route at a time was the most reliable method (but not very convenient), I had thought it might be due to a lack of memory on the GPS causing this issue, so I added a memory card, but it still crashed when transferring multiple routes or tracks.. Am hoping my new XT 5.5" behaves better!!

Regards Gary
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thrasherg wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:10 pm .. Am hoping my new XT 5.5" behaves better!!
Just for info in relation to the above - as I know this is a 660 query. The XT does behave better than this, but so should the 660. However, the XT has its own quirks when transferring, which may result in loss of routes if you are not aware of it. Ask in the XT forum about that.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
wingnit
United States of America

Post by wingnit »

kernowing wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:28 am
wingnit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:48 pm Has anyone had a problem loading two or more routes at one time. What happens to me is only one route will upload to the 665. Just wondering if anyone had the same problem.
Is there difference between 660 & 665 when it comes to transferring routes?
I've been using the Z660 on my Wing for at least 7years. I do all my route planning on Basecamp and although it sometimes seems slow, the routes always transfer from Windows laptop to Zumo. I do transfer multiple routes but always directly to the SD card (in the 660) with the Zumo connected.
I can use basecamp or mapsource either one and the result is the same. I haven't moved multiple routes to a SD card, it has always been to the internal storage. Maybe you can tell me how to send a route to the SD card please. BTW I'm using a Zumo 665.