Favourites appeared on the map unasked

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Favourites appeared on the map unasked

Post by Oop North John »

Went out on my bike today and fired the XT up outside, but in range of my WiFi and got a couple of messages about favourites and Explorer, which I didn't take much notice of, and just cancelled them IIRC. But now my favourites are showing on the map, when previously they didn't. I've tried the customising the Up Ahead options and they still show as there doesn't appear to be an option to either add / not show them. Tried it in the track up / north up / 3D views in car and motorbike modes, and they're still showing.

I hadn't downloaded / installed Garmin Explorer until after I got home. Downloading and installing it is kind of pointless as it says it's not compatible with the XT, though it does sync and uploads waypoints. I only use the Garmin Drive to get traffic information, and can't see any options there that might have changed.

Anyone any ideas on how to reduce the map being cluttered by the favourites?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Favourites appeared on the map unasked

Post by jfheath »

Visibility of Favourites / Waypoints / Saved places that have come from the Explore account is controlled by 'collections'. You put points / tracks into a collection and make the collection visible.

But if they have come from explore, the icons will be quite small compared to the white heart in a green square that Is shown for a favourite.

For normal waypoints / favourites you can select 3 different items to be shown , but there is a tick box for up ahead places in one of the menus (display?) That makes them show on the map or not.

Explore IS compatible with the XT, but the app that is used on some of garmin devices - called Explore - is not.

But you can use your smart phone to access the explore website, and you can use the drive app on your smartphone to communicate with the XT. It works perfectly well, if you like that sort of thing. I've decided that in its present state, I don't want it so I have disabled it again.

I can add more detail and info to this if you want. But it will have to wait a few days. I don't have easy access to it at the moment.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

It would seem that the icons I see on the XT are mirroring those in the Samsung A50 Explorer app as they are both show as green flags. Irratating that I can't seem to select what I want on my XT's screen.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You can disable Explore on the XT.

in landscape mode:
Open the Diagnostic Page: View Map->Tap Speed bottom left -> Hold circular speed top centre 10 seconds.

Developer Tests an Tools ( next to bottom)
Reset Explore Database ( next to bottom).

Your Xt will no longer talk to the Explore website.

Set it up again is also easy - just as before, but it remembers your details. ( Where To-> Explore )

----

The tick to turn on and off things like favourites is in system -> map & vehicle -> Map layers -> up ahead places (untick)

Collections appears in the same menu as above (map layers) if Explore is enabled, and all items in each or any collection can be turned on or off. if no collection has been set up, they all go int 'uncategorised'

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.