Designing/importing custom routes on PC for ZUMO XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Michael
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Designing/importing custom routes on PC for ZUMO XT

Post by Michael »

I cannot find an answer to my issue. I want to use my new ZUMO XT on my motorcycle and create custom routes/tracks that go on MY roads and not the ones that the Garmin wants to travel. And I want turn-by-turn navigation. This is what I want to do:
1. No cell phone usage at all. I want to design the route on a desktop computer (not the Garmin) and import the GPX file into the Garmin ZUMO XT for use. I do not want to design the route on the little screen on the Garmin. I can design and edit the trip much faster and easier on a desktop.
2. I want the GPS to follow the roads that I want to ride on, not go where it wants to go.
3. I want advanced turn-by-turn navigation.
4. I want to be able to edit the existing route and insert waypoints, stops, POIs, etc. later if I wish.
5. I want the GPS to re-route me back onto my route lines if I stray from the existing route (example: you go thru construction which detours you off the course).
6. If I stop somewhere in the middle of the ride and turn everything off, when I turn it back on I want it to put me back onto my existing route at the nearest point where I am now, not tell me I have to go home and start all over again.
Will the ZUMO XT do the above? If so, which computer based (not cell phone) navigation software will do this and transfer the route/track to the ZUMO XT? Do I need to use ROUTES or TRACKS? Or will I have to place waypoints at every turn to force the Garmin to follow my route lines? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Re: Designing/importing custom routes on PC for ZUMO XT

Post by rbentnail »

Base Camp.

Do this tutorial. We have suggestions but do this first. https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Michael
United States of America

Post by Michael »

Rbentnail,

Do I make it a route or a track? Do I need a bunch of waypoints to mark every road or will it just normally follow my route lines? I hear from a lot of folks that Basecamp has a steep learning curve. I need to know if it will do all that I am looking for before jumping into it. Thanks for the info.
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

Make it a route if you want it to be navigable. Tracks will only display on the map they will not give you navigation instructions ie turn by turn directions.

Not sure what you mean by your route lines. You use a combination of waypoints, via points and shaping points to shape the route to where you want it to go,

Yep, a lot of folks find that BC has a steep learning curve. Honestly though, the hardest part is understanding the database nature of the program and the way it organizes your data.

I can't say if it will do all you want it to do because I really don't know all that you are looking for. What I can say is that BC is the most powerful program for creating routes.

You really should follow the New England Riders tutorial mentioned above. If you follow it, without skipping over anything you can learn BC in a few hours.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Agreed, work through the tutorial as it will get you past most of what you're asking, once you understand the basics you'll be able to ask for relevant help.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Michael wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:01 pm I cannot find an answer to my issue. I want to use my new ZUMO XT on my motorcycle and create custom routes/tracks that go on MY roads and not the ones that the Garmin wants to travel. And I want turn-by-turn navigation. This is what I want to do:
1. No cell phone usage at all. I want to design the route on a desktop computer (not the Garmin) and import the GPX file into the Garmin ZUMO XT for use. I do not want to design the route on the little screen on the Garmin. I can design and edit the trip much faster and easier on a desktop.
2. I want the GPS to follow the roads that I want to ride on, not go where it wants to go.
3. I want advanced turn-by-turn navigation.
4. I want to be able to edit the existing route and insert waypoints, stops, POIs, etc. later if I wish.
5. I want the GPS to re-route me back onto my route lines if I stray from the existing route (example: you go thru construction which detours you off the course).
6. If I stop somewhere in the middle of the ride and turn everything off, when I turn it back on I want it to put me back onto my existing route at the nearest point where I am now, not tell me I have to go home and start all over again.
Will the ZUMO XT do the above? If so, which computer based (not cell phone) navigation software will do this and transfer the route/track to the ZUMO XT? Do I need to use ROUTES or TRACKS? Or will I have to place waypoints at every turn to force the Garmin to follow my route lines? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Michael, as others have said basecamp is the best way to plan your routes, 2 important points to remember : tracks are a line on the map that you follow (bread crumb trail) no instructions. Routes on the other hand give you turn by turn navigation.

I have attached a link for some very good, clear & concise videos on route planning by a fellow motorcyclist. I am no expert on basecamp & found these really useful.

Good luck https://www.youtube.com/user/1983lparker/videos.
Michael
United States of America

Post by Michael »

Hi Guys,

I have looked at half a dozen different on-line route planning web sites and have chosen a subscription to Rever (https://www.rever.co/). I find it very easy to use. The funny thing is that their instructional video (https://www.rever.co/tips/download-gpx- ... n-gps-unit), and their advice to me, says to use tracks and not routes to get the ZUMO to follow my roads. I have done some test rides in the neighborhood and I do get turn by turn navigation using tracks (you have to convert them into "trips" in the ZUMO - I don't know if that makes a difference). However, it depends on the shape of the route. One thing that I have found is that you cannot have a ride (like a one day ride) that starts and ends in the same place or the ZUMO does not work at all, with tracks or routes - including waypoints. Meanwhile, I have a few more test rides to do.

BTW, when I say "route lines", I am referring to the lines that show the roads you want to travel on (in Rever they are black). For example, you mark start and end points on the map and then drag the black line between the two points and place it over the roads you want to travel on. The ZUMO should follow the black line.

Thanks again for the advice!
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes
Basecamp
Drop me a PM with an email address. I have a document that I have written that will help you to get what you want.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
HipGnosis
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by HipGnosis »

I kinda hate base camp. It just doesn't work the way I do...
Here's what I found / use.

Go to Google Maps My Account (with an account...) https://www.google.com/maps/d/
[Create New Map] Click; route icon - [Y w/arrow] icon, at top of map
Type in A & B locations - for temp start and end. You can easily move them, so you just gotta be in the region.
Zoom in drag the start, & end to where you really want them
Click & drag route
Click on ‘Untitled Layer’ enter a {name} for the route
Un-check the directions layer
Click the menu icon of the 'untitled map' Give it a name This will be the name of your route on the Zumo.
Click the menu icon of the map (that you just named) Click Export
Click Export to KML/KMZ
Check the box for KML, [Download]
Open https://kml2gpx.com/ to convert the route .KML file to .gpx
[KML to GPX] (default) [Choose File] {navigate to, select} un-check Waypoints [Convert]
Download the new (.gpx) file <Here> (it's a link) it takes a few secs...
May want to rename the file

Open the .gpx file (w/ NotePad)
change the trk name <trk> <name><![CDATA[-xxxx]]>...</name>
I Edit (find) / replace multiple spaces with 2 spaces, a few times
Can Edit / replace '<ele>0</ele>' w/ “ “ (blank space)
Note: The rtpts are only 50-100 FEET apart!! You could delete 60-85% of them!!??
File Close // [Save]

Copy the .gpx file to Zumo :
data cable to PC Zumo boots [continue] to data Xfer mode
Copy the ..gpx file from Downloads to {Zumo}\GPX
It's Hip, ya Gno?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

:o

Strewth ! You really don't like Basecamp do you ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.