map too big for Zumo? how to install on SD card

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
hammer
United States of America

Re: map too big for Zumo? how to install on SD card

Post by hammer »

sussamb wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:25 am Try following the steps in this FAQ

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=b ... KUAt8x67J7

Note the 665 does not support the install to card by Express but it includes instructions for what to do to get around that
If you mean using MapInstall, it doesn't work. That is the whole reason for this thread. MapInstall saws I have no unlocked maps, even though basecamp shows them unlocked.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

looking at file structure, the zumo does NOT have a map folder. the maps are in the .System folder. the instructions said to create a map folder and move the maps to that folder. if open basecamp, it shows maps not lockable on zumo and sd card (which has same name as zumo and only way to distinguish is looking at the path) this is how I noticed that the zumo path is System and the SD card path is map. I think zumo isn't looking in the SD card map folder and therefore isn't seeing the map?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

hammer wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:08 pm If you mean using MapInstall, it doesn't work. That is the whole reason for this thread. MapInstall saws I have no unlocked maps, even though basecamp shows them unlocked.
Are you running the updated version? You can also do it from within BaseCamp.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

hammer wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:48 pm I think zumo isn't looking in the SD card map folder and therefore isn't seeing the map?
Is the card formatted FAT32? Maps on a sd card would normally be in the Garmin folder. You've clearly got in a bit of a mess so if it were me I'd reformat the card, ensuring it's FAT32, and now Express has installed unlocked maps in BaseCamp use it to install the rest of the map you want to your sd card. I do this regularly. Right click on the sd card in BaseCamp and select Install maps.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

Yes its fat32, recognized by zumo and computer. Computer shows it is fat32. If install maps from basecamp, it just opens mapinstall. I will check versions of each.

Basecamp 4.7.4
Don't think mapinstall shows version? But I had uninstalled both and let express reinstall them when i last updated map like last week so assume newest avsilable.

To repeat, basecamp shows maps unlocked (on computer) and unlockable ( on zumo) and unlockable ( cloned zumo sd card). But if hit install maps it says maps locked? Mapsource says maps locked i believe.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

The reason maps in map folder is because that is what instructions said to do? I think they installed in system folder on sd, then i moved to a map folder i created per instructions.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Map folder is normally used on the device itself. Given you have nothing to lose try moving the maps on the card from the Map folder to the Garmin folder on the card.

Note too a mistake some make is to name the map folders Maps. It must be named Map.

I'm working in the dark slightly here as you've lost me as to exactly what you've done.
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

I had it "Map". Moved all the contents to "Garmin" folder on card, but when disconnected and master reset Zumo still shows map info as lower 49 states NE.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Only thing I can suggest, and you may already have tried this, is to uninstall the map from your PC, ensure you have the latest Express version and then reinstall the map to your PC. The issue with maps being locked has apparently been resolved with the updated Express version.

Note ensure if you do this you also delete the data at ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads as otherwise Express may use the files there to compile the map for your PC
hammer
United States of America

Post by hammer »

I did do that. Uninstalled map, basecamp, map install. Deleted core service files. Then ran express and had it install everything. I may try again.

Earlier danham said express installed map on sd card. Is that correct with 665? Or is mapinstall only way to get full maps on a 665? With mapinstall I've read you lose junction view.