WARNING - Garmin Zumo XT hot-shoe connector weakness

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Fallguy67
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Re: WARNING - Garmin Zumo XT hot-shoe connector weakness

Post by Fallguy67 »

I had it connected to the wire for the light bar.

I have 2004 Honda VTX. Not sure if it that sophisticated, but perhaps.

I had a zumo 550 connected to the same wire for years with no problem. But the 550 started “acting up” powering on and off on its own.

So no it appears my upgrade to the XT may not have been needed. If would have just rewired the 550 mount.

That said….I’m still really enjoying the XT and am happy to have got it.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Exurban wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:49 pm That’s why I mentioned CANBus voodoo. On my BMW, in lieu of old timey fuses, the computer sets the allowable current for each circuit and shuts off the circuit if the current draw exceeds it. So, say I tapped into a light circuit that draws a half amp and I add my GPS that draws another amp. Turn the key on, circuit closes momentarily until the GPS starts up and exceeds the allowable half amp current. Computer senses there’s too much current for that circuit, opens the circuit and now the GPS switches to battery and since there’s no more power to the cradle, the GPS doesn’t know it’s in a mount.

You may need to take a close look at what circuit you tied into and how your bike manages over current conditions. That’s all speculation on my part but sounds plausible. Direct to battery will draw a tiny amount even when the XT isn’t mounted. But I like mine switched anyway and the BMW has a dedicated switched GPS plug circuit.
It's funny you have just posted this!

I have an adaptor to mount my xt on to my R1200rt and today is the first time I have had chance to use it which is when I noticed some odd behaviour

Every time I was turning the bike on it was charging fine then as soon as I started the bike the power to the mount would stop!
Exurban
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Exurban »

The one i used on my present GS and previous K1200S is called a BMW Repair Plug Harness. 3 wires, one is for a speed sensor or something and not used. The other end is on a harness under the headlight area somewhere and has a weather cap on the end so it’s not always easy to find. I believe it is “PRODUCT CODE: 83300413585” For bikes around 2005 and up.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Exurban wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:03 pm The one i used on my present GS and previous K1200S is called a BMW Repair Plug Harness. 3 wires, one is for a speed sensor or something and not used. The other end is on a harness under the headlight area somewhere and has a weather cap on the end so it’s not always easy to find. I believe it is “PRODUCT CODE: 83300413585” For bikes around 2005 and up.
Yes I know all about the plug I fitted one to my mates f800gs

My adapter takes power from the BMW mount and powers the xt so I'm not tapping in to anything else yet its shutting the power off once I start the bike!
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Stu, if you are talking about canbus and devices, just a theory here as I don't have any experience with it, but could it be that your adapter doesn't 'emulate' the actual BMW nav unit close enough to be recognized by the canbus to maintain the power circuit.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

electro_handyman wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:14 am Stu, if you are talking about canbus and devices, just a theory here as I don't have any experience with it, but could it be that your adapter doesn't 'emulate' the actual BMW nav unit close enough to be recognized by the canbus to maintain the power circuit.
All it does is take power and earth from the bmw mount and convert it to the XT mount

for some reason when I turn the ignition on it turns the sat nav on as normal and it is charging fine but as soon as I start the bike it knocks the charge off

If I then hit cancel on the XT when I get the warning about power lost then it will stay on and not charge at all

But if I turn the unit off or allow it to turn itself off then it will the turn back on and charge as power is restored :?
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

[/quote]
But if I turn the unit off or allow it to turn itself off then it will the turn back on and charge as power is restored :?
[/quote]

If you allow it to turn off does it then recognise that it's in the cradle and come back on automatically or do you have to turn it on manually?
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

yorky wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:59 pm
If you allow it to turn off does it then recognise that it's in the cradle and come back on automatically or do you have to turn it on manually?
The problem is that when I start the bike it cuts the power to the cradle and it won't power it until the unit shuts down

When it shuts down power is then restored to the mount and it turns back on
7andMoto
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by 7andMoto »

So I decided to register after seeing the post on the connector design failure. Why was I looking? Yup, mine failed too. Pin broke in the mount / connector after 4 trips on my motorcycle - BMW GL1600.... So the unit isn't seeing the abuse it could if it were mounted to my trail bike... I've worked in connector design with plastic injection molded parts and this design....well you you just have to ask why when there were so many PROVEN methods that WORK. Just look at all the other connectors on your bike and car and do you see any of them designed like this mount??? There's a reason for that.
Anyway, I contacted Garmin and they are sending me a free replacement cable to install. Great....it has a 1 year warrantee so if it fails again - oh gee, I get another free Piece of crap to replace it... again. So rather than that inevitable outcome, I'm thinking of adding an automotive - weather proof style connector in line behind the contacts so that the problem pin interface doesn't come into play. I'm using a ram mount and will remove the ram part and disconnect the connector when removing it from the bike. A little more hassle, but at least it shouldn't fail on me in the middle of nowhere...I'm hoping that a single install against the pins will last a lot longer and let a true - proven connector do the work. I'll let you know how it works out.
Connector.JPG
Connector.JPG (191.94 KiB) Viewed 4759 times
Multiple Bikes
1 Zumo XT used on all
Android Phone
Sena S20
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

7andMoto wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:10 pm So I decided to register after seeing the post on the connector design failure. Why was I looking? Yup, mine failed too. Pin broke in the mount / connector after 4 trips on my motorcycle - BMW GL1600.... So the unit isn't seeing the abuse it could if it were mounted to my trail bike... I've worked in connector design with plastic injection molded parts and this design....well you you just have to ask why when there were so many PROVEN methods that WORK. Just look at all the other connectors on your bike and car and do you see any of them designed like this mount??? There's a reason for that.
Anyway, I contacted Garmin and they are sending me a free replacement cable to install. Great....it has a 1 year warrantee so if it fails again - oh gee, I get another free Piece of crap to replace it... again. So rather than that inevitable outcome, I'm thinking of adding an automotive - weather proof style connector in line behind the contacts so that the problem pin interface doesn't come into play. I'm using a ram mount and will remove the ram part and disconnect the connector when removing it from the bike. A little more hassle, but at least it shouldn't fail on me in the middle of nowhere...I'm hoping that a single install against the pins will last a lot longer and let a true - proven connector do the work. I'll let you know how it works out.
Connector.JPG
Hi and welcome to the forum

Before you go and cut your cable have a look at this thread

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewto ... =48&t=1389

Its best to understand the cable before plunging straight in