WARNING - Garmin Zumo XT hot-shoe connector weakness

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: WARNING - Garmin Zumo XT hot-shoe connector weakness

Post by TripleThreat719 »

For what it is worth, I had the original design mount and cable when I first set up my XT. I installed the "improved" replacement mount and cable and began having problems with the XT losing power while riding. I never had that issue with the original design. It seems as though some combination of the raised rubber lines/bars to the left and right of the connectors on the cable, and the addition of the thin piece of black tape along the bottom of the mount created less contact pressure between the pins on the cradle and the back of the XT.

It was incredibly annoying, and while the XT fit in the mount much more securely, with little to no slop in the attachment, it became a giant pain in the ass with lost power notifications popping up on the screen constantly while riding. Ultimately, I peeled off the little piece of tape on the bottom of the mount, and that eliminated the power loss issues I was experiencing.

Obviously, your problem may be different, but that has been my experience.
Fallguy67
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

Hmmmm... Thanks.

I will try removing the tape and test this first chance I get.
Fallguy67
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

Well removing the tape didn't change anything.

What I don't understand is why the XT will power on when I turn the key on the bike....but operates on battery power and the fuel gauge feature doesn't work because it doesn't think it's in the motorcycle mount. :roll:

I have wondered about tightening the screws on the mount....but don't want to break anything.

This is very frustrating. I have a power outlet on my handle bars and could use it to power/charge the XT, but that wouldn't solve the issue of it not recognizing that it's in the motorcycle mount so that the fuel gauge will work. Which is a feature I greatly loved on my 550 and want to use with the XT. Not to mention the fact the mount should work as it suppose to an power the unit!

Ugh!!
Fallguy67
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

Well as others, Garmin is sending me a new cable.

Hopefully that will fix the problem...

<<Fingers crossed>>
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Do you think this issue is caused my removing the XT and refitting it many times?

I have just got a new adaptor for my XT see here And it has a aftermarket connector and not the OE garmin one

I was wondering if it would be best to leave the XT connected to it permanently
Exurban
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Exurban »

Probably not anything related but, Is it in motorcycle mode when it comes on?

With the key on, the mount pins get 5+ volts? But mounting the XT it turns on because it sees voltage, then goes to battery? Is there some kind of CANBus voodoo going on where that circuit has voltage but shuts off if it senses over current or some anomaly? Instead of the switched connection, try going straight to battery and see if it works. If it functions normally, it’s not the cable.
Fallguy67
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

Stu wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:40 pm Do you think this issue is caused my removing the XT and refitting it many times?

I have just got a new adaptor for my XT see here And it has a aftermarket connector and not the OE garmin one

I was wondering if it would be best to leave the XT connected to it permanently
Not in my case at least....I've just bought it.
Fallguy67
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

Exurban wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:51 am Probably not anything related but, Is it in motorcycle mode when it comes on?

With the key on, the mount pins get 5+ volts? But mounting the XT it turns on because it sees voltage, then goes to battery? Is there some kind of CANBus voodoo going on where that circuit has voltage but shuts off if it senses over current or some anomaly? Instead of the switched connection, try going straight to battery and see if it works. If it functions normally, it’s not the cable.
No, it doesn't switch to motorcycle mode.

Yes when the mount it powered (whether I add the XT or it is already in the mount) the XT will come on, but does not switch to motorcycle mode and is powered from the internal battery. This whether I just leave the key on or crank the bike.

As far as why....I have no idea. Garmin's solution was to send a new cable.

I am going to work on it today. I will see about wiring the current cable to a constant power and see what happens before I change out the cable.
Fallguy67
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

So.....it seems in my case it was connecting to switched power instead of battery power.

Using the old cable I connected to wires that I had connected directly to the battery and everything is working fine. It automatically switches to motorcycle mode and is powered from the mount.

I'm still a bit confused that it would power on from the switched power and that there was 5.25v on the pin in the mount but still would not operate correctly.. but either way, I'm happy that it's working correctly now.

I need to do a bit of housekeeping on the wiring to make it look better....but....it is working. :)
Exurban
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Exurban »

That’s why I mentioned CANBus voodoo. On my BMW, in lieu of old timey fuses, the computer sets the allowable current for each circuit and shuts off the circuit if the current draw exceeds it. So, say I tapped into a light circuit that draws a half amp and I add my GPS that draws another amp. Turn the key on, circuit closes momentarily until the GPS starts up and exceeds the allowable half amp current. Computer senses there’s too much current for that circuit, opens the circuit and now the GPS switches to battery and since there’s no more power to the cradle, the GPS doesn’t know it’s in a mount.

You may need to take a close look at what circuit you tied into and how your bike manages over current conditions. That’s all speculation on my part but sounds plausible. Direct to battery will draw a tiny amount even when the XT isn’t mounted. But I like mine switched anyway and the BMW has a dedicated switched GPS plug circuit.