WARNING - Garmin Zumo XT hot-shoe connector weakness

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Zumozumba
Slovenia

Re: WARNING - Garmin Zumo XT hot-shoe connector weakness

Post by Zumozumba »

It has 2 contacts only as it's the xt but 5 if you include the empty spaces they could have used. Yes it's a great sat nav much improved from the old models I've used but a little pricey considering any phone could work this out apart from water submersion.
I get lost anywhere and everywhere so I need this kit! Plugged to the helmet with Bluetooth means I can keep my eyes on the road too.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Not sure that I agree with you comment on the unit being 'pricey' my XT was considerably cheaper than the 595LM that it replaced!
Most phones will fail when used on a motorcycle, especially off road due to the vibration.
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Post by Hati »

simoncrewe wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:07 pm Most phones will fail when used on a motorcycle, especially off road due to the vibration.
Indeed, not to mention that they frequently overheat in sunnier places like where I live and the visibility of the phone screens are also not the best. Been there, done that, there is simply no substitute for a dedicated motorcycle GPS.
Zumozumba
Slovenia

Post by Zumozumba »

And thanks for the input. I am returning to motorbikes from a break of 24 years so I got used to the motor car equivalents which years ago were pricey. Nowadays you can get cheap ones. I've never tried a phone on my motorbike as it would seem to be a bit useless. In car however it rarely failed but yes in summer could overheat but I'm in Scotland so rarely suffer summers!
I did get insurance with the sat nav so shouldn't have any issues,just await garmin to get back to me.
Thanks again you've justified my constantly empty wallet.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

I bought one of the Streetpilot 3's some years ago, about £1000 IIRC, the XT was cheaper than the 590 it replaced. I guess we've got mobile phones and Tom Tom to thank for that to a greater, or lesser degree.
GJ280
Been liked: 2 times
Netherlands

Post by GJ280 »

Hi there, Two weeks ago I went for drive and lost half way the Zumo XT. Back home it turned out that the battery is flat dead. Charging through the wall socket worked fine, in other words charging on the mount does not work anymore while for over a year it worked fine. In noticed that the pins on the handlebar mount did not carry the normal 5Vdc. This was later on confirmed by the reseller as well. Hence, replace the Garmin Motorcycle Power Cable to find out that still the Zumo XT does not charge with a running engine. Any ideas why this happens? And yes the 12Vdc is supplied to the power cord. In the installation instruction it is said that cradle spacers need to be in place, if not, damage might occur. The once supplied by Garmin are in place, hence, what is the problem. These cradle spacers seem to isolate the mount from the motor frame, is that why they are there? If so, than the question becomes, are the Garmin cradle spacers sufficiently thick enough to ensure proper isolation from the frame. Thanks for any suggestions provided.
Fallguy67
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

GJ280 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:17 pm Hi there, Two weeks ago I went for drive and lost half way the Zumo XT. Back home it turned out that the battery is flat dead. Charging through the wall socket worked fine, in other words charging on the mount does not work anymore while for over a year it worked fine. In noticed that the pins on the handlebar mount did not carry the normal 5Vdc. This was later on confirmed by the reseller as well. Hence, replace the Garmin Motorcycle Power Cable to find out that still the Zumo XT does not charge with a running engine. Any ideas why this happens? And yes the 12Vdc is supplied to the power cord. In the installation instruction it is said that cradle spacers need to be in place, if not, damage might occur. The once supplied by Garmin are in place, hence, what is the problem. These cradle spacers seem to isolate the mount from the motor frame, is that why they are there? If so, than the question becomes, are the Garmin cradle spacers sufficiently thick enough to ensure proper isolation from the frame. Thanks for any suggestions provided.
I doubt this will really be any help, but.... I have just bought my XT, haven't even mounted it yet, but I've had a 550 YEARS. I remember on the 550, the motorcycle cradle would not charge the unit only power it. I'm not sure if this is the case with the XT or not, but thought I'd mention it. Although admittedly your batter should not have run out if it was powered by the cable.
GJ280
Netherlands

Post by GJ280 »

Thank you for reaching out. You right if the power cable does its job, de XT should be powered all the time. Last year it actually also keep the battery alive, i.e. charged the battery as well. Thanks.
GJ280
Netherlands

Post by GJ280 »

Yesterday a problem, not any longer today. Time heals al wounds and problems alike. Remember although red seems one color its interpretation is different depending the color scheme which various around the world. In my case, polarity of power supply was connected wrong way around. Problem solved.

:oops: :lol:
Fallguy67
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

:!: :!: **HELP** :!: :!:

I've read the first couple of pages and the last couple...admittedly didn't read the entire thread, so can't say for sure if this has been addressed already.

First, it appears I have the "new" cable.
IMG_8319.jpg
IMG_8319.jpg (196.34 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
Don't know why it posted sideways...

But, when I turn the motorcycle key on, the XT will power up, but it appears to be running on the battery. Also when I try to turn on the fuel tracking it is grayed out and says it must be in a motorcycle mount.

So apparently it's not getting any power. Although the middle pin shows 5.25v when I check it. Not sure if that is the amount it is supposed to have or not.

Any suggestions?

When I first installed the mount I turned the key and the XT powered on...I figured that was it. I didn't think to check anything else while I still was inside the headlight bucket :?

For the record this was purchased directly from Garmin less than a month ago.