CN & Topo North America problems fix request

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
groundhog719
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

CN & Topo North America problems fix request

Post by groundhog719 »

I talked (again) to a Garmin rep about the problems of CN North America not installing on BaseCamp and about Topo North and Central America being split in the center of the US. (both discussed in detail in other threads here) He told me that he believes that Garmin will have to fix both problems judging by the number of complaints they are receiving.

Lets improve our chances of getting these Garmin (recently) introduced problems rectified. Please call Garmin and report / complain about these problems. And ask that you to be "on record" as wanting remedies for these issues that were not in existence when you purchased your Xumo XT (or just your displeasure if a new owner). Maybe more complaints will help get these addressed.

Garmin Zumo XT support phone: 1-800-800-1020, then chose option "3" and option "3" again.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: CN & Topo North America problems fix request

Post by sussamb »

Please note the maps are only split on your device due to the 4Gb limit imposed by the FAT32 system. That will always be the case.

When they can be installed to your PC they will simply be one map visible in BaseCamp.
groundhog719
United States of America

Post by groundhog719 »

Not so. Before the last map update Topo North was the US and Canada and Topo Central was Central America. It was that way in both Basecamp and on the Zumo. Now it is split through the center of the USA in both places. This is the main reason I am mad. It WAS OK when I bought the Zumo and recently they made changes for the worse.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Sorry, I was talking about the CN map.
groundhog719
United States of America

Post by groundhog719 »

sussamb wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:13 am Sorry, I was talking about the CN map.
The North America CN are not split (so far). I read that other CN maps are split and I wouldn't like that if I was using those maps.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

EU map is split and it isn't an issue. In BaseCamp it is one map, and devices move seamlessly from one map to the other. You wouldn't even know it was split on the device.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

If you really think about it, all of the "maps" consist of small area segments already.
When you look at the file/folder structure on your PC, the maps are in folders all split up for the individual regions.
Think about how you use Mapinstaller, you have to select all of the regions you want to include, those are then combined before transfer. The program looks at the device you are installing the map to, determines the amount of free space, and then controls how many regions you can include so your single map file size fits on that device. I can't speak to the internal format of the map file for the device, other than the max size is limited based on the format of the storage medium, and Garmin limits SD cards to fat32 format.
groundhog719
United States of America

Post by groundhog719 »

Aug 25 email from Garmin product support;

"Since TopoActive maps are not used for routing and BaseCamp is not designed to render multiple maps at the same time, this will not change in BaseCamp. We do not have plans on releasing another version of BaseCamp due to age of software. You can still create routes using the preloaded North America maps via BaseCamp or create the route using Trip Planner built in the GPS. FAQ, TopoActive Maps on the zumo XT will explain in more detail. I apologize for the delay while we investigated the situation."

I'm sad to learn that the 2 North America maps will not be joined as they once were. It make plotting rides between states along the division a real hassle. And, I don't understand what is meant by "TopoActive maps are not used for routing". I use TopoActive maps for routing (in Basecamp) and they seem to work OK??