Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Phone call quality

Post by Stu »

Has anyone had any issues with phone call quality?

The 590 I had wasn't too bad but this xt is diabolical!

Constantly crackling and inaudible

I thought it may have been phone related but I have a new phone and it's just the same

I am using a packtalk headset and using that with just the phone is fine
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Re: Phone call quality

Post by mzeist »

I have exactly the same experience. Also, iirc, the sound was very loud. I'm not sure if the crackling started after one of the firmware upgrades lately.

Whenever (if ever) I'm called riding the bike, I answer the call using the button on the Packtalk so the phone (Android) connects directly to the Packtalk.
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

mzeist wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:48 pm I have exactly the same experience. Also, iirc, the sound was very loud. I'm not sure if the crackling started after one of the firmware upgrades lately.

Whenever (if ever) I'm called riding the bike, I answer the call using the button on the Packtalk so the phone (Android) connects directly to the Packtalk.
Its not just me then!

I wonder if others are having the same issue with a different headset

I will try answering the phone as you do to see if it routes the calls straight to the headset
axamax
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by axamax »

Not had any problems.
Using Huawei P30 lite, Interphone Tour Headset and XT

I normally answer call on the XT.
XT paired to Phone
XT paired to headset
Headset paired to Phone.

Phone normally kept in Jacket pocket when riding, if that makes a difference.

To use voice dialling I need to have smartlock unlock the phone when near the headset. But, once they are paired I need to unlock the phone once. After that it will work. A direct shortcut to voice dial would be handy.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

I can't say as I have had issues either, though I don't use the XT daily, I do use my phone to headset directly on a daily basis.
I have a Pixel 2xl, and a Sena smh10 and I have had decent phone conversations considering I was on the bike at 60+ MPH at the time.
Obviously headset direct to phone is better, one less connection.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

So two of us with packtalk are having issues and two with different brands aren't!

So it could well be a headset issue and not the xt

I think more research is needed
mzeist
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

Will try with my old cardo G4 headset - if i can find it and it still works ;-)
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
mzeist
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

Same effect using the G4 :(

Phone Samsung S7 (Android 8) -> Zumo Xt (fw 6.20) -> Cardo G4 or Packtalk Bold

in both cases the sound is much to loud and there is a constantly repeating loud crackling 'krss' (0.1sec) normal audio (0.5 sec) 'krss'(0.1sec) and so on. (timing estimated)

I also think its weird that the 'Phone Calls' volume slider is gone when a Bluetooth headset is connected.
19415.png
19415.png (64.01 KiB) Viewed 2996 times
Groet, Marcel.
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

I suspect that I am going to have this problem.
I bought a new helmet last week which came with Sena speakers and mic pre-installed. I have since bought the unit body and battery to complete the system. As yet, due to the crap weather I haven't had chance to try it out on a ride, however I have tried it in the garage and as above if I call myself, using the wifes phone, the volume is ridiculously high and I also get the screeching. I was hoping this was maybe interference related to how close all the phones/nav/headset were together but it's sounding like this may not be the case :?
copacetic
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by copacetic »

You can add another to the list.

When initiating a call from the XT, I get a crackling noise that makes it difficult for the person on the other the other end to understand what I am saying.

This is a Cardo Freecom 1 that is 3 years old. I have the latest firmware installed. Streamed music from my phone is loud and clear. GPS prompts are also clear. I am paired from phone to XT and Freecom to XT - not phone to Freecom. Phone is a Samsung A50 running Android 11.

I wonder if the newer Freecom 1+ would solve the problem? Or is this an issue on the XT side?