Average Speed Zone

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Himself
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Average Speed Zone

Post by Himself »

For the past 3 years, I have had a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with my TomTom Rider 550.

The final straw came recently when it navigated me off a dual carriageway and into a housing estate. Whereas the instructions kept coming and I arrived at my destination, I could not find this turn on any of the route maps. I have no idea why the TomTom did this. That is the hate part.

The love part - one of the few redeeming features - is the average speed zone warning. In average speed zones the TomTom reports the first camera and tracks my average speed to the last camera, even if that is 20 miles. Visually this appears as a red bar on the side of the map display.

Reading the forum, there doesn't appear to be a similar function on the Zumo XT, and as I'm at the point of buying one ... can you tell me please, if the XT has this feature?

Thanks.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: Average Speed Zone

Post by simoncrewe »

It does not have the feature that you describe, however it can show visibly if your are exceeding the speed limit & warn you via a tone. It can also sound a tone when the speed limit reduces.
Himself
Great Britain

Post by Himself »

Cool. Thanks, Simon. Much appreciated.

It looks like the one thing TomTom does slightly better is deal with speed cameras. But then again there is always CamSam from the people (I think) who run and maintain the SCDB database.

Back on the fence over kicking the TomTom for the XT - Heart wants one - Wallet is thinking about it. 8-)
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Himself wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:13 am Back on the fence over kicking the TomTom for the XT - Heart wants one - Wallet is thinking about it. 8-)
I was also on the fence about updating from a 550 to the XT.
The more I thought about it I came up with the following realization, right or wrong, it's what I think anyway.....
If Garmin didn't have to compete with smartphones and their built in maps/routing options, I feel that the XT with it's technology would easily be a $750-$1000 unit.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, I return you now to the previously discussed topic... lol.
SteveA
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by SteveA »

Himself wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:13 am Cool. Thanks, Simon. Much appreciated.

It looks like the one thing TomTom does slightly better is deal with speed cameras. But then again there is always CamSam from the people (I think) who run and maintain the SCDB database.

Back on the fence over kicking the TomTom for the XT - Heart wants one - Wallet is thinking about it. 8-)
Go with the heart :D
Himself
Great Britain

Post by Himself »

I bought one. No regrets, but you guys must have the patience of a saint. Basecamp is from the 1980s. Loading a GPX and then convert it to a trip ... errr ... why? What is it with the straight lines on the map, even though I've converted it to a route, which it is also showing me.

And as for getting safety cameras to show up on the map - even after enabling cyclops - nope not yet

I see a long learning curve ahead. :ugeek: :D
Himself
Great Britain

Post by Himself »

After a lot of grief with Basecamp, I found how to send GPX routes from MyRouteApp direct to the XT - Be gone Basecamp and don't ever come back.

Speed cameras a better on the TomTom, but in every other respect, the XT wins.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Try https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/ if you're struggling with BaseCamp. It's very simple once you learn how to use it.
Himself
Great Britain

Post by Himself »

Thanks for the link. My problems are more fundamental. Whenever the XT is connected basecamp crashes. I've tried two different machines, installation orders & different USB leads. It seems I'm not alone a few people have the same problem.

Luckily I found the video on MyRouteApp and Garmin Drive - It couldn't be simpler :D
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

Re: Basecamp crashes when XT is connected. Have you deleted the Cyclops sample poi file as mentioned in a couple other threads here?
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/