CN EU 2021.20 NT

Parabellum

Re: CN EU 2021.20 NT

Post by Parabellum »

Hello all.
Today I have updated Garmin Express
Then updated my Camper 760 with a new time zone, and then added the up to date mapping 2021.30

Then I added my Zumo660, and again updated the time zone, then went to update the mapping to 2021.20 and it now says insufficient space and to select only a region. Whereas previously I would install the whole of the map as I have got a 32gb installed I’ve been using for several years.

I don’t have any music or other files on the SE card.

Do you have any suggestions as to why it’s no longer reading that the large SD card is there and able to be used. I no longer get a message asking to use it.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I thought the 660 was one of the devices where Express was unable to install the map to the card? You have to install a portion to your device, and the full map to your PC, then use BaseCamp or MapInstall to send the rest of the map to your sd card. See

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=W ... UbK9WunKa7
David
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by David »

The latest 2021.20 update is the first time that Garmin Express has prompted me to select a region to install on the device internal memory. Previously, GE would allow me to send "Full Europe" maps to the sd card within the device. This is now a PITA, the full maps need to be installed to my PC then manually transferred to the device sd card via MapSource or MapInstall. There is a Garmin restriction on a max of 4GB file size which can be sent to the sd card, irrespective of the size of the sd card, I have a 32GB one installed. This does not allow what previously would have been "Full Europe" to be installed. I had to select the maps/tiles from the areas I'm likely to visit within the 4GB restriction. The MapInstall panel is about 8" x 6", not very clear, whereas, if using MapSource, the full PC monitor screen view can be used.

I've spoken to and had email correspondence with Garmin, basically they are saying that the 660 is now an old device and no longer supported in the way is was. From GE, I installed UK & Ireland to the device internal memory, then using MapInstall, selected the regions of Europe I may wish to visit and sent them to the sd card. The sd card can be formatted (cleared) and other maps areas selected for future trips. All within the 4GB limit.
Last edited by David on Sun May 02, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

It's a restriction of the FAT32 system, not Garmin, where file sizes are limited to 4Gb. It's that that caused the EU map to be split into North and South a few years ago. All recent devices that have the full EU map have it split this way, but Express should do it automatically for you. However if in the past you've done something yourself to the maps, like split them, move them, renamed them etc Express not unexpectedly cannot now work our what needs deleting to add the maps automatically. What you could do is remove all traces of the maps on your device and then run Express, but do ensure you know exactly which files to delete.
David
Great Britain

Post by David »

Garmin Express will no longer offer full Europe coverage to be sent directly to the sd card. It will only allow one region to be sent to the device internal memory. Previously, GE has sent map updates of greater than 4GB to the sd card. I can remember having to replace my 4GB sd card with a 32GB one to update the latest maps as the file sizes got bigger. The latest map update is around 10GB. Garmin have placed the 4GB restriction on file size transfer.

As per the Garmin website, if you want map coverage with a file size greater than 4GB, multiple sd cards need to be used.

Before this, when updating maps, GE would automatically install the new maps to the SD card and remove the previous version.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Sorry but that is simply untrue. The limit on file size is a FAT32 issue, not one imposed by Garmin. I have the full EU map on one of my devices, with part in the device and the other on the sd card, all installed quite correctly by Express, and no need to use multiple sd cards. As I mentioned, the EU map exceeded the FAT32 file limit a few years ago and has been split ever since, so you haven't been able to install the full EU map to your device or a sd card for sometime now.

The issue is why that isn't working for you. If you're being told you have to select a portion of the map to install to your device it will be because for some reason you no longer have sufficient room on the device, so you need to look at what is there. Have you installed any files or maps yourself in the device that has reduced the space available? How much free space do you have?
David
Great Britain

Post by David »

Mapinstall or Mapsource Will Not Allow More Than 4GB of Maps to Be Installed
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=b ... JEGgdFsGcA

The Garmin link suggests that, "The latest version of MapInstall may create multiple map files on compatible devices in order to allow the full available space to be utilized." Perhaps the 660 is now not a compatible device and therefore, multiple sd cards need to be used.

Until this most recent 2021.20 map update, using Garmin Express, I've been able to install full Europe maps to the sd card. The file sizes have been greater than 4GB.

This is the emailed reply I got from Garmin, "I can confirm there are device limitations due to the age of the unit. However this is not to say that we can still try and salvage this unit and upload the maps you need to it.

The most recent release of maps, version 2021.20 NT is far too big for it to be installed directly to the device as you have traditionally done in the past. To get around this, you will need to download the unit to the PC and then upload it to the unit manually using Map Install, if this fails to work, I am afraid there is nothing else we can do and it is simply down to the age of the unit."

The issue here is that Garmin Express is no longer allowing full Europe maps to be installed to the sd card and a region needs to be selected to be installed to the device internal memory only. As per the Garmin email, any more maps than this need to be installed using MapInstall or Mapsource. The change has been made by Garmin not continuing to fully support the 660 device, I have never previously had this problem in 10 years of owning a 660 unit. As map file sizes have got bigger, I've just installed a 32GB sd card and always had full Europe coverage without any problems.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes, MapInstall etc won't allow you to install a map file over 4Gb, they never have because, as I explained earlier, the FAT32 system limits file sizes to 4Gb, which is nothing to do with Garmin. See here https://www.howtogeek.com/235596/whats- ... -and-ntfs/

So whatever you think you did you never had a map file larger than 4Gb and the EU map has been split into 2 because the full map exceeded that limit a few years ago as I previously posted.

The issue isn't as you state that Express will no longer install the full map to the sd card, it never could. What is likely, although I can't check this as I don't have a 660, is that there is now not enough space on your device to allow either EU North or EU South to be installed, hence being offered a smaller region. I refer you back to my earlier post, how much free space do you have? You may be able to free up enough space by deleting files that you don't use, eg text, keyboard, voice, vehicle, help and EULA files.

Otherwise your only option is as earlier posted, part of the area to your device, install the full map to your PC then use BaseCamp or MapInstall to install the rest to a card.
David
Great Britain

Post by David »

I'm reluctant to start deleting files from the device internal memory to free up space. There is no guarantee that this will solve the issue. Might end up deleting something needed to make the device function correctly. I'll just have to put up with installing UK & Ireland to the device and then use MapSource or MapInstall to select other maps/tiles of Europe from the maps on the PC. This situation has only arisen with the latest 2021.20 map update, it's never previously been a problem. Garmin have decided to build in unit obsolescence in the hope that users will cave in and buy a new device. There is nothing wrong with my current 10 year old 660, just Garmin deciding not to fully support it any longer.

Meanwhile, having previously used MapInstall which only gives you a 8" x 6" screen view to select from, I've just used MapSource which gives a full PC monitor screen view of the maps being selected. This is much more accurate for ensuring that the maps required for a particular trip are included. I installed 285 maps, the file size was 1.8GB (mainly France & Spain), I wonder if I can go back and select another load of maps/tiles for the other areas of full Europe.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I'm not sure if the 660 supports multiple maps on the card but if so you can certainly add additional map areas. If it doesn't just select a larger area next time, provided you don't go above 4Gb.

You're being a bit harsh on Garmin who have a proven track record on supporting older devices for as long as possible, folks are still using their StreetPilot models for example, which if I remember correctly came out in the 1990's. Your device still gets map updates and Garmin provides various ways to install it, even though that device is nearly 15 years old.