Route edit quirk

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Route edit quirk

Post by electro_handyman »

So here's one I came across this week. I wanted to edit(change the staring point) an existing imported route on the XT, without having to edit in BC and then re-import it.
I open the route edit mode and I can, move, delete, any waypoint/shaping point in the route EXCEPT the beginning point. I can only move it down/up in the list. The XT wouldn't let me remove it or replace it, so then the route recalc would always want to route me to that point.
I had a number of shaping points and waypoints in the route so I didn't really want to delete and then rebuild the route on the XT either.
I did end up editing the route on the computer and re-import the route and all is good.
I don't know if this is normal or not as I don't recall needing to edit the route on my 550 like this before.
Just thought I'd share. If it's not normal, then Garmin probably should know about it.
scottyuk
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Route edit quirk

Post by scottyuk »

I haven't tried it to see if I get the same but a simple work around would be add your new start point after the current one and when you want to start the route just immediately go to the new point instead.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Or having entered it reorder it then delete the unwanted one.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Are you attempting to edit prior to or after starting the route? If you do after starting it might work.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
electro_handyman
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

I was attempting to edit prior to start.
I made 3 single day trip routes, with the start of the next day as the same end point from the day prior. Well, I traveled farther than my original route on the 2nd day so I wanted to edit the start point of the 3rd day to "current location" which obviously was beyond the originally planned start point.

I did try to add current, re-order the points, but I still was not allowed the option to delete the original start point, no mater where it is located in the point list. I had the option to delete any of the other points, except the original start and original end point.

I was able to do it on the computer in the hotel room, and then just re-import the route again. I just couldn't seem to accomplish it direct on the XT.
I know I could just have started the route and selected "closest entry point" to get on route, but I was wanting to see the distance/time estimate from the new start point.

Just trying to learn what this unit can or can't do.......