another feature being limited

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
groundhog719
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

another feature being limited

Post by groundhog719 »

I originally posted this in Map Updates referring to the new CN 2022.1 update . . .

Anybody know why I can't use this updated map without the GPS being plugged in to the PC with a USB cable? It is just like the topo maps, can't use it in Basecamp unless the Zumo is attached via USB to the PC.

I really hated having to remove the GPS from my motorcycle, bring it to wherever I am working on Basecamp, plug it in and wait for it to connect when using the ("included") topo map. Now, having to do the same with City Navigator is ridiculous.

Garmin, via phone support 2 weeks ago (while discussing a "unable to connect" problem), told me that the map issue is a known problem and they were "working on it". 2 weeks seems like ample time to fix a bug. I'm betting that they have no plans on "fixing" it for the same reasons they require the GPS to be plugged in for topo map use (whatever reason that is).

I'm on my 3rd Zumo XT and many, many conversations with tech help in less than a year (I've been using GPS units regularly since they were first available for general use). Seems that Garmin just keeps getting worse and worse. Between hardware & software this system has been unavailable for proper use more than available. And my warranty is just about up.

I should have kept my 276C and the full set of US and Canada 24K topo maps I purchased. Not nearly as many features but at least it worked.
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: another feature being limited

Post by yorky »

Well I'm guessing it's because with the XT we now no longer have the option to "download maps to computer"
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I reported the issue to garmin and according to them they are aware and are working on a fix!

Although I suspect the guy on the chat was trying to get rid of me!
Vespamarc
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times
Belgium

Post by Vespamarc »

Will be back in a new update next month.
bwoodsom
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by bwoodsom »

I did a web chat yesterday with Garmin Support on this. They say that they are aware of the issue and are working on it.
groundhog719
United States of America

Post by groundhog719 »

They said that 2 weeks ago. I talked with a support guy yesterday who said he was not sure if it is a permanent change or not.
jskene
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by jskene »

If you have another Garmin unit with lifetime maps, use that one to download the latest map to Basecamp. That worked for me.
groundhog719
United States of America

Post by groundhog719 »

Thanks, but I don't have another unit. But I wonder if eventually the XT will allow the map to be installed (to a PC) again or if your other unit will disallow it on the next update?
SteveA
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by SteveA »

Its still being allowed today on my old Zumo 660 :D
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

I have a nasty feeling this is going to be permanent and also a ruse to get you to buy more!
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT