Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Scarecrow
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Maximum Size SD card

Post by Scarecrow »

Hi Guys
Could someone tell me what the maximum size (memory) sd card i can put into the XT please
Thanks
Del
Scarecrow
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Re: Maximum Size SD card

Post by Scarecrow »

rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

The price of SD cards has come down significantly recently so go for it! Otherwise be aware- my 595 bricked an expensive 64gb SD card. Somewhere along the line it became write protected and could not be undone. A new card had to be purchased.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
zumouser
Australia

Post by zumouser »

The device supports microSD® memory cards from 4 to 256 GB.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Reminder that the XT requires the cards to be formatted FAT32, which is not the default format for SDXC cards(cards 64GB<+ larger).
copacetic
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by copacetic »

electro_handyman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:12 pm Reminder that the XT requires the cards to be formatted FAT32, which is not the default format for SDXC cards(cards 64GB<+ larger).
Very good point. They do not mention this fact in the XT pdf manual. Only after digging on the Garmin support area will you find this. Windows 10 will only format eFAT or NTFS. I used my Linux virtual machine to format it FAT32. There are other tools our there that you can download.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Don't know if the XT does this but inserting an unformatted card prompts my 595 to do it. It asks if I want the card formatted, I choose YES and it does it. Someone should check to see if the XT will.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Well, I know that when I inserted my 64GB card(formatted at exFat) the XT just ignored it, and I was not able to see it from the PC connection either. I received no prompt to format it.
I did have the unit off when inserting the card. As cumbersome as the socket is to insert the card, I'd not recommend trying to insert the card with the XT powered.

After I formatted the card as Fat32, and put it back in the XT, it was recognized, and I could also see it from the PC and Basecamp.
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

You're right that normally a unit should not be powered on while inserting a card, but especially with the Zumo XT here in some german forums users are reporting, that, just like sayed in the post before, the Zumo XT asks for formatting the microsd-card, when it is inserted while the unit is on...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
BradB.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

electro_handyman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:01 am Well, I know that when I inserted my 64GB card(formatted at exFat) the XT just ignored it, and I was not able to see it from the PC connection either. I received no prompt to format it.
I did have the unit off when inserting the card. As cumbersome as the socket is to insert the card, I'd not recommend trying to insert the card with the XT powered.

After I formatted the card as Fat32, and put it back in the XT, it was recognized, and I could also see it from the PC and Basecamp.
I have my SD card formatted FAT32 but it isn't recognized on the XT unit. I've double-checked the card formatting and the fit inside the XT.

What I am trying to do is create and load Birds Eye Imagery onto the SD card all within the XT. But that choice is "grayed out". I can only put imagery into the internal storage selection.

I haven't come up with anything on searches. Ideas anyone?

Thanks.
Somebody help me....I'm lost! :o