LOST on route

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
Pockets
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Re: LOST on route

Post by Pockets »

Once again I’m overwhelmed at the response to my posting, tomorrow I intend to do exactly what MSTOCK27370 has done and purposely ride off route and hope the 550 keeps up. I will be riding to my father’s home (COVID exemption) following a pre-installed route in my satnav then turn off route for a coupe of miles and see if I get back on track. I cannot see why it would not put me back on route, if i were to input my fathers address into the satnav and was diverted off the route it would recalculate me to my destination so presumably the same thing should happen.

Fingers Crossed
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

Providing you have got it set to re-calculate.
As others have pointed out, you must have your device set to what you are expecting of it. :)

Good luck
Pockets
Great Britain

Post by Pockets »

Well looks like all your suggestions were correct, set a route today, purposely turned off the route and the unit recalculated me back on the route, also returned me back to my fictitious home (1/2 mile away) so good news all round.
Just received an email from my bike insurer informing me that travel restrictions will end on the 29th March (allegedly) so with any luck I’ll be able to give it a proper test.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

A minor suggestion. I do it slightly different, as Michael mentioned in an earlier post.

For all my routes, my start point is never where I am starting. I always place it 500-1000 yards down the road in the direction of travel from where I am startin . Picture this- a huge motel with a giant parking area. But for your route, you pick the provided waypoint for that motel as your starting point. Your Garmin may route you around and around trying to find the exact starting point somewhere in 3 hectares of parking lot. You don't need that headache at the beginning of the day, trust me! Put your start point down the road and when you pick GO! The Garmin will route you to that point you picked and then automatically continue on with the route you designed as you pass that point. Having the end point exactly located gives more accurate time/distance to the parking area. Not important at home but it is to me when traveling unfamiliar territory.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Pockets
Great Britain

Post by Pockets »

All went as expected today, set myself route comprising of ten waypoints? (Whatever they are called) and once again deliberately went off route several times and every time I was directed back onto my intended course. So has far as that particular exercise is concerned all is good.
The only part of the journey that bothered me was whenever I reached one of the waypoints it usually involved doing a U turn because the unit took me to the centre of the village and not on a through route. I quickly got onto this and merely ignored the instructions and let the unit recalculate.
So now i think I’m all set for when lockdown officially comes to an end. I sometimes wonder why I bother going to all this trouble, the group I normally ride with all have top of the range TomTom units and Calimoto apps but on the odd occasion I go it alone it comes in handy.
Thanks again for all your input.