Smartphone Notifications

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Yoyo
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Smartphone Notifications

Post by Yoyo »

Hi, I've just bought an XT after years of using 660 and I'm impressed with the speed and quality but I can't get any Smartphone notifications from my Huawei P30. I can receive calls but there are no email /SMS alerts.

I've watched loads of review videos but most of them contain iPhone rather android devices. What I have seen is a Smartphone notifications tab in the phone section of the Bluetooth menu but I don't have this. I have all of the notifications ticked in Garmin Drive, if I open the Drive menu on the XT it states notifications can be selected in the drive app.

Any ideas? I'm not likely to use the feature and could well turn it off but I want to make sure every works as it should.
Thanks.
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Re: Smartphone Notifications

Post by Hati »

The settings are on the XT as to what should be allowed to show on the screen. I don't have mine handy to tell you the exact location, but I just went through that the other day. You can choose between calls, missed calls, text messages, email etc. to be notified for.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Yoyo wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:51 am Hi, I've just bought an XT after years of using 660 and I'm impressed with the speed and quality but I can't get any Smartphone notifications from my Huawei P30. I can receive calls but there are no email /SMS alerts.

I've watched loads of review videos but most of them contain iPhone rather android devices. What I have seen is a Smartphone notifications tab in the phone section of the Bluetooth menu but I don't have this. I have all of the notifications ticked in Garmin Drive, if I open the Drive menu on the XT it states notifications can be selected in the drive app.

Any ideas? I'm not likely to use the feature and could well turn it off but I want to make sure every works as it should.
Thanks.
Smartphone notifications need to be set on the phone not the XT - not very intuitive.
I have my Huawei in front of me:
Open the drive app on the phone
Top right hand corner click on the 'gear wheel' symbol
Then click on 3rd item down 'smart notifications'

Phone needs to have bluetooth enabled to XT & 'data' switched on

Good luck
Yoyo
Great Britain

Post by Yoyo »

Thanks for the replies, In the Drive App I have all of the permissions ticked, when I go to Smart Notifications on the XT and click the tools Icon I get a tip: You can select which notifications to receive using tue Garmin Drive app settings.

I've hopefully attached a couple of pics.
Attachments
IMG_20210322_162332.jpg
IMG_20210322_162332.jpg (181.33 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
Screenshot_20210322_162311_com.garmin.android.apps.gecko.jpg
Screenshot_20210322_162311_com.garmin.android.apps.gecko.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
Yoyo
Great Britain

Post by Yoyo »

What I don't have is the Smartphone Services button on the XT, I've grabbed a screen shot off YouTube.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210322_163314_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
Screenshot_20210322_163314_com.google.android.youtube.jpg (58.34 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Yoyo wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:35 pm What I don't have is the Smartphone Services button on the XT, I've grabbed a screen shot off YouTube.
It is either phone specific or the function has changed with the software update - probably worth giving Garmin a call. Sadly the knowledge of Garmin support here in the UK is seriously lacking, it as if they have not got a clue what they are speaking about!
Yoyo
Great Britain

Post by Yoyo »

simoncrewe wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:51 pm
Yoyo wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:35 pm What I don't have is the Smartphone Services button on the XT, I've grabbed a screen shot off YouTube.
Sadly the knowledge of Garmin support here in the UK is seriously lacking, it as if they have not got a clue what they are speaking about!
That's not so good! I'll have to give them a try. Thanks for the replies.
Milu23771
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Italy

Post by Milu23771 »

At first I also had problems with notifications, i.e. they worked when XT-phone pairing just happened, then at the first disconnection of one device from the other, all to be redone, delete device, re-pair again, to have notifications until the next disconnection . I solved it by leaving Drive always running in the background on the phone. Since then, even if I disconnect or turn off one of the two devices, as soon as they reconnect via bluetooth, the notifications reappear. Try and good luck. Hi
Yoyo
Great Britain

Post by Yoyo »

Thanks for this but sadly I can't get notifications to start at all, I've deleted the pairing on both the phone and XT multiple times, deleted and reinstalled Drive more than once but nothing is bringing the Smartphone Notifications menu in the XT.

I only have one Bluetooth connection on the phone to the XT but I've seen iPhones have 2 connections showing in the phones BT menu, does everyone have this or is it an iPhone only function?
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

It's not iPhone-specific, but my understanding is that one is a persistent "bluetooth low energy" connection to just keep the two devices in touch with each other, and the other is the connection that actually transfers data/music/etc. Does your phone have Bluetooth 5.0 capability? If not, that might be part of the issue. I'm not an expert, I'm going from what I think I know inside my head. :-)

EDIT: I just Googled, and your phone does do BT5.0 so... I have no idea. I'm sorry!