Basecamp crashes when initializing

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
griff
United States of America

Basecamp crashes when initializing

Post by griff »

Well, went to open a gpx file with version 4.6.2 and Basecamp wouldn't open. Came up with the error message to install the newer version of Basecampl 4.7.3. I have tried uninstalling 4.6.2, reinstalling it, even installed 4.7.3. Nothing. All I get is the error message to install 4.7.3 after Basecamp stops initializing. Don't know where to get next. I am running Windows 10. Any help is appreciated. Will probably call Garmin tomorrow if I don't get this solve. I can still open files with Mapsource, but I like Basecamp.
khunpaul
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Re: Basecamp crashes when initializing

Post by khunpaul »

Did you try opening other gpx files?
How about opening with Mapsource then saving with M/S as a new name? Then try again in B/C
Have you tried as an experiment creating a new gpx file from existing Basecamp data, then trying to open that file?
griff
United States of America

Post by griff »

Thanks for the response. No gpx file opens with Basecamp. Saved a gpx file opened with Mapsource under a new name. Basecamp failed trying to open. Created a new gpx file from Basecamp data (opened with Mapsource obviously), saved and then tried to open with Basecamp. Nuttin.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I'm confused..... You say Base Camp crashes but you're using it to attempt to open a file?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
griff
United States of America

Post by griff »

Yep, when initializing it crashes. Talked to Garmin support. They gave me some instructions for changing the registry. No go. Played around and found out if I deleted the database folder in the path down through users Basecamp fired right up, but with no data. I ran my last backup file and it worked. So for some reason my database file got corrupted and wouldn't let Basecamp open up. Only problem is I hadn't backed up for a couple of momths, so I lost some stuff. Oh well.
ondras76
Czech Republic

Post by ondras76 »

can you exactly what file you delete, I have the same problem. Thank you!
ondras76
Czech Republic

Post by ondras76 »

so i found a solution. Helped to delete POI directory in ZumoXt.