No vocal instruction

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
hdueo
Italy

Re: No vocal instruction

Post by hdueo »

Do you have any openstreetmap or similar maps installed?
If so, make sure you don't have them enabled at the same time as Garmin ones
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Set Off Route Recalculation to automatic . Settings -> Navigation -> Off Route Recalculation -> Automatic.

When you go off route, if you have automatic recalculation disabled, then you will not get any instructions until you rejoin the magenta line.

Even if you do rejoin the the magenta line, if you have missed a via point while being off route, you are not on the section that leads you to the route point that is next in the Zumos route plan, so it still won't talk.
If you think this is a possibility, use Skip until the instructions come back to you.

If you have a route point placed inaccurately, and you dont visit it - eg because it is in a field - that can be regarded as going off route. If it is a shaping point, then its not usually a problem, but if it is a via point it will need you to visit it, or use skip.

But I suspect that this may be your issue:

if you are just starting the route, you think you are at the start, but the Zumo thinks that the start is 50m behind you. With auto recalculation turned off, it gives the first instruction, you ignore it because you know which way to go and follow the magenta line on the screen. but it has stopped talking to you, because you haven't visited the start of the route. The start point in a route is always a via point. The Zumo insists that you visit it. If you don't, and autorecalc is turned off, you will not hear any other instructions for the entire route.

As a general bit of advice, never put your start point where you think you will be when you turn on your sat nav. Instead, put it on the main road that you intend to take once you have started riding. The XT will take you to it, and then start navigating the route.

Having two maps for the same area ticked in myMaps can also affect navigation, so I guess that it will affect spoken instructions as @hdueo suggested.

How do you create your routes ? Not all maps are the same, and a point that is on a road on one map may not be on the rad on another.

I am surprised that Garmin think that this behaviour requires the unit to be returned. It may well be the case, but the above situations might have been suggested first.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

jfheath wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:59 am Set Off Route Recalculation to automatic . Settings -> Navigation -> Off Route Recalculation -> Automatic.

When you go off route, if you have automatic recalculation disabled, then you will not get any instructions until you rejoin the magenta line.

Even if you do rejoin the the magenta line, if you have missed a via point while being off route, you are not on the section that leads you to the route point that is next in the Zumos route plan, so it still won't talk.
If you think this is a possibility, use Skip until the instructions come back to you.

If you have a route point placed inaccurately, and you dont visit it - eg because it is in a field - that can be regarded as going off route. If it is a shaping point, then its not usually a problem, but if it is a via point it will need you to visit it, or use skip.

But I suspect that this may be your issue:

if you are just starting the route, you think you are at the start, but the Zumo thinks that the start is 50m behind you. With auto recalculation turned off, it gives the first instruction, you ignore it because you know which way to go and follow the magenta line on the screen. but it has stopped talking to you, because you haven't visited the start of the route. The start point in a route is always a via point. The Zumo insists that you visit it. If you don't, and autorecalc is turned off, you will not hear any other instructions for the entire route.

As a general bit of advice, never put your start point where you think you will be when you turn on your sat nav. Instead, put it on the main road that you intend to take once you have started riding. The XT will take you to it, and then start navigating the route.

Having two maps for the same area ticked in myMaps can also affect navigation, so I guess that it will affect spoken instructions as @hdueo suggested.

How do you create your routes ? Not all maps are the same, and a point that is on a road on one map may not be on the rad on another.

I am surprised that Garmin think that this behaviour requires the unit to be returned. It may well be the case, but the above situations might have been suggested first.
I will look at the suggestions you have made. However, my unit has only just started doing this. I have obviously not been out much, but if I ask the unit to navigate to a post code or single favourite, ie not a route I have made up , it makes one comment then nothing else.
I am currently waiting to hear back from Garmin.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok. Worth checking anyway. Not recalculating remains a possible cause, although I admit it is less likely. The fact that it thinks you are not on the highlighted route that it has just created may be a sign.

Also - long shot. When my Zumo was brand new, we were (and still are) in full lockdown. I tried to use it on our daily walks. It didn't behave as it should. Certainly no spoken instructions, and it didn't recognise that I was approaching Via points that I had plotted. It wasn't until I was able to use it in the car on the way to the shops, that it started behaving itself. It seems to start up differently after it had its first proper outing.

A complete system reset may have put it back into its 'unused' mode, and it needs to do some distance at motorcycle/car speed. I don't know what that distance would be. It won't be much - mine started working properly as soon as I hit the main road.

Just a thought.

Let us know what Garmin have to say and what they can offer please. Good luck.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Andrew_XT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Andrew_XT »

hdueo wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:57 pm Do you have any openstreetmap or similar maps installed?
If so, make sure you don't have them enabled at the same time as Garmin ones
I had the same doubt, i have try but it appen also with OSM disableb.
The OSM was on teh SD card, and i have disableb the map and after removed the SD.
No way.

Now the Zumo is in the Garmin point. I'm waiting a response.
Andrew_XT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Andrew_XT »

In the end...

I recived a New XT from Garmin italy.

In the next day i will try all the functionality, for now everything seems to be fine