New Version of Mapsource for Zumo 550?

dmac61
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Re: New Version of Mapsource for Zumo 550?

Post by dmac61 »

Thank you once again, sussamb, for your response and your help!

I used the blue download button, and downloaded the mapsource_6163.exe file, which was the 57.05mb file. And for some reason, as I explained above, when I ran it, it terminated stating that I needed a version of Mapsource already installed. That’s why I jumped through all those good to install Mapsource first! But I guess the good news is that Mapsource seems to open up and run normally now - with the exception that it has a blank background and there is no United States map - which means that I still can’t create routes for my motorcycle rides.

So please be patient with me, as I now have more questions based on your last response.

Are you saying that I now need to install Basecamp, so that the United States map will show up in Mapsource? I’m a bit confused how Mapsource and Basecamp work together.

And what is Garmin Express? I haven’t heard of that before. Can you please provide the installation link, and further explain what I need it for?

Again - I really do appreciate your time and expertise!
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

No, if MapSource is working no need for BaseCamp, but see below

Garmin Express is the program that updates maps on Garmin devices, it replaced MapUpdater, just like BaseCamp replaced MapSource. I guess if you've never used it you don't have lifetime map updates? If not then MapSource won't have a map installed, so then you would need BaseCamp as it can use the maps on your Zumo whereas MapSource can't.

You can have both MS and BC installed at the same time, and provided you have maps installed on your PC they will both use them.
dmac61
United States of America

Post by dmac61 »

I’m pretty sure I did pay for lifetime map updates.

So if that’s the case, how would I go about using Garmin Express to pull the maps into Mapsource?

And THANK YOU once again - you’re knowledge of all of this is amazing!!! 😊
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Run Garmin Express. Connect your Zumo to your PC. Garmin Express should detect it, if not press the add button in Express and it should search and find it. Then open MapOptions and select Install to PC.

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/software/express/windows/
dmac61
United States of America

Post by dmac61 »

Sussamb:

Thanks once again for your advice - it was SPOT ON!

I logged into my MyGarmin account, and confirmed that I have lifetime updates to "City Navigator North America", and then I followed your instructions. I was able to update Mapsource and my Zumo 550 at the same time using Garmin Express, and now I can see the map background in Mapsource!

But I have one more (hopefully) question for you. After the update, I only saw the major highways in Mapsource and on my 550. So in Mapsource, I figured out how to change the "map detail", and set it to "highest". That fixed the problem, and now I see all the details and even small streets and roads in Mapsource. But I can't figure out how to see the details again on my 550. As I mentioned, right now all I still see are the major highways. The street I live on isn't even showing up anymore (it did before I did the update). I checked the "map detail" setting on my 550, and it is still set to "most".

Can you please tell me how I can once again see the map details on my 550?

Appreciate it!
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Check the new map is actually installed and selected as it sounds your Zumo is only displaying the base map. Can't recall exactly where on a 550 but go to something like Settings, Maps, MapInfo. Is the new map shown? If so is it checked? If not reinstall or check as appropriate. The map should now show.

Note your 550 is one of the devices that doesn't directly support a map update to a sd card. If there isn't enough space to install the map see here

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=W ... UbK9WunKa7
dmac61
United States of America

Post by dmac61 »

Sussamb:

Well, it took two hours, but I followed the directions for Windows at the bottom of the page from the link you sent me, and now my 550 shows all map detail! Apparently the memory that comes with the 550 isn't enough to load all of the US map anymore, and the map must be loaded to an SD card.

So after not using Mapsource and my 550 for nearly a decade, now I'm now ready to fire up Mapsource and create my first route (if I can remember how to do it!).

I want to convey my sincerest appreciation to you for all of your patience and help - as well as for how quickly you replied to my questions. I truly would not have been able to resurrect my 550 for use on motorcycle rides if it wasn't for your help. If you're ever in Louisiana, USA - drop me a message and I'll buy you dinner!

:)

Please continue to keep an eye on this thread, though...just in case I have issues creating/transferring my first route to the 550. But hopefully that all goes well, and I won't have to bother you anymore. I'll let you know how it goes...
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Glad we could help. Lived in DC for 2 years many years ago and never got to Louisiana, although close as I used to visit Pensacola every so often. Hoping to have a US holiday in 2023 starting in San Antonio so will be passing through Louisiana on our way to Savannah so might very well take up your offer :D
dmac61
United States of America

Post by dmac61 »

Sussamb:

Sounds like a nice trip you have planned! If you do find yourself in Louisiana - be sure to let me know. I live in central Louisiana - pretty much in the dead center of the state. Would love to treat you to the local fare!

Also - I just completed mapping my first route and transferring it to my 550. I was able to successfully manipulate/change the suggested route that Mapsource initially calculated, and all went well. I do have one final question about what I'm seeing on the 550. All of the points in Mapsource that were created as I manipulated/changed the route (I believe they are called "via points") are showing up on my 550 as orange flags along the route. If I remember correctly, those orange flags will be announced when riding the route, as if they were an intersection or a turn or something. This is an unnecessary distraction that I don't want - especially when on a motorcycle. When I transferred the route from Mapsource to the 550, I deselected all of the boxes except for the "route" box (I made sure to deselect the "waypoints" box). Because I deselected the "waypoints" box, I was surprised to see the orange flags on the route in the 550. Is there any way to NOT have the orange flags in the 550? After I do the transfer from Mapsource, all I want to see in the 550 is the route itself, so that all the announcements will only be for the necessary turns. Make sense?

Appreciate your help once again!
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

DMac,

I've been using MapSource and BaseCamp for my devices. For the 450 and 550 things work differently than they do for the newer devices. I covered some of what you are dealing with last year in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=931

With your 550, if you place the points along your planned route in MapSource, they will be treated as Via Points and they will be announced when you ride the route in the Zumo 550. That is, IF you place the points on the road anywhere except an intersection. If you place the point directly on an intersection, then the 550 will treat it like a shaping point and it will not be announced. But, here's the problem with that. If you make your route with shaping points, then you can not recalculate the route. You can't let the Zumo do a recalculate if you go off route. On the 550 (and 450) if you recalculate, the 550 will build a route between your Via Points. If the only via points in your route are the start and end, the it will recalculate the route using your preferences and calculate a new route from end to end and it will ignore all of those shaping points.

My fix, explained in the topic above, is to place the via points in MapSource just a small distance after the intersection. This way my turn by turn directions are still to the next turn, and the announcement comes up immediately after I make the turn. As soon as I pass the via point announcement, the directions to my next turn take over again. I only put enough of these to keep the route on my planned path even if a recalc occurs.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6