New Version of Mapsource for Zumo 550?

dmac61
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

New Version of Mapsource for Zumo 550?

Post by dmac61 »

Hello all!

I have owned a Zumo 550 for many years. I used to have Mapsource on a Windows XP computer, and I used it to create routes for motorcycle rides, as well as for keeping the Zumo maps current. The Windows XP computer recently died, and I now have a Windows 10 computer. I don't have the original installation CDs that came with the Zumo.

So my first question is...is there a Mapsource version that will run on Windows 10, that would be compatible with my Zumo 550?

If so, can someone please tell me where and how to get it?

Many thanks in advance for your time!
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: New Version of Mapsource for Zumo 550?

Post by sussamb »

dmac61
United States of America

Post by dmac61 »

Thank you for the link, sussamb!

So I see that this is dated 2010. Is that the last time that Mapsource was updated?

Also - this version will work with Windows 10?

Thank you again for you help!!!
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes, BaseCamp replaced it but it still works, including on Windows 10 :)
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

dmac61 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:38 pm So I see that this is dated 2010. Is that the last time that Mapsource was updated?

Also - this version will work with Windows 10?
I am running MapSource version 6.16.3, which I believe is the latest/last version of MapSource. It is running for me on two different Win 10 laptops.

I have a 450, a 550 and a 590.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
dmac61
United States of America

Post by dmac61 »

Thanks so much for the replies and info!

So apparently I’ve been out of the loop for a while...what exactly is “Basecamp”? Is it also a free download?

I have many old routes that I created in my old version of Mapsource on my old Windows XP computer that I would like to use once again on my Zumo 550.

So should I just go ahead and download the latest version of Mapsource (the one dated 2010), or would Basecamp be a better way to go?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure I’m doing the best and right thing.

Thanks again in advance for the help, everyone!
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

BaseCamp too is free, although has lots of additional features that you probably wouldn't use, but it can import your old data from MapSource. It does though work very differently to MapSource and switching from one to the other takes a bit of learning. There is also the occasional issue using a 550 with BaseCamp so you may be better off sticking with MS.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

dmac61 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:16 am Thanks so much for the replies and info!
I have many old routes that I created in my old version of Mapsource on my old Windows XP computer that I would like to use once again on my Zumo 550.

So should I just go ahead and download the latest version of Mapsource (the one dated 2010), or would Basecamp be a better way to go?
If the Zumo 550 is your only GPS, you should continue working with MapSource. There are some new features in BaseCamp, but they are there for the newer devices that can use them. The 450 and 550 can't use the new features. There was a warning from Garmin a while back, that the 450 and 550 Zumo GPS devices should continue using MapSource because errors could appear on routes sent using BaseCamp. I can't find that warning on Garmin's site anymore, but I remember it. The most glaring difference between MS and BC is the file structure. Where MapSource has you opening and saving individual files with one or more routes and waypoints, BaseCamp uses a database file structure with all of your routes and waypoints kept inside the one database (You can have more than one DB, but that's another story). It really took me years before I finally got comfortable with the BC database. I still open MapSource for a simple look at the map or test of a route. And I still keep a separate set of routes for my 450 and 550, using MapSource to transfer the routes to the Zumos.

The two programs use the same set of maps, so having both of them on your computer is just the space for adding the 2nd program, not a duplicate mapset. I would load both.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
dmac61
United States of America

Post by dmac61 »

I just downloaded the latest version of Mapsource from the Garmin site (v 6.16.3), but when I attempt to install it, it tells me that it's only an update, and that I need to have a previous version of Mapsource already installed.

As I mentioned in my original post, the old Dell PC that died had the original version that I was using, and I don't have any version of Mapsource on my new laptop. Also, I don't have the Mapsource installation CD anymore.

So is there any way I can get some version of Mapsource to install on my new laptop, so that I can then update it with version 6.16.3? Perhaps download it from somewhere? I can't find it on the Garmin site.

Thanks (again) for all of your help!

*** EDIT/UPDATE ***

So I did a lot of "googling", and I found the following instructions:
1. Download MapSource software updater from Garmin. The current version is 6.13.6, and the trick also works on Map Source version 6.13.5.
2. Unpack or extract the content of MapSource_6136.exe downloaded using WinRAR.
3. From the extracted files, run MAIN.msi or MSMAIN.msi.
4, Then, run Setup.exe.
Note: The sequence to execute Main.msi and then Setup.exe is important to avoid “Previous MapSource not found!” error.
5. Garmin MapSource now installed.

I used "7-Zip" instead of "WinRaR" to extract the files, which seemed to work fine.

After following the instructions, I was able to install the latest update and run Mapsource. I confirmed that it is version 6.16.3

But now I still have an issue. When I open Mapsource, there is no map - the map area is blank. If I click on the "view" menu, and select "switch to product", the only option is "no map". I was able to successfully connect my 550 to Mapsource, and when I did a "receive from device" I was able to see routes I had previously created - but again - there was no map data behind the routes.

I feel like the old saying "one step forward, two steps back" certainly applies here!

If anyone has any advice on how to load the United States map into Mapsource, I would greatly appreciate it!!!
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You need to go back to the Garmin site, not sure where you got those instructions from but they're not needed. I suspect you originally downloaded the patch to MapSource and not the full programme. You need to click the Download button where the size indicates it's 57.05Mb

Note too the comment about it not working unless you have a previous map product installed, if you don't have a Garmin map installed to your PC then provided you have BaseCamp installed that will allow MapSource to install. Once MapSource is installed correctly any maps you do have installed will be read both by it and BaseCamp.

If it is working correctly then while BaseCamp can read maps from your device MapSource cannot do so. You'll need to use Garmin Express to install the map to your PC.