Tracks difficult to see

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
TwoUpTourer
Australia

Tracks difficult to see

Post by TwoUpTourer »

I import GPX tracks that I create on Plotaroute.com on to a Zumo 595.
The problem is that they are very hard to see, being so thin. Whilst using a route, the pink line is probably 4mm wide, but tracks are barely 1 or 2mm, often with a fine black line either side it appears, making it very difficult to differentiate from other roads.

I can find no way to fatten up the width of tracks to improve visibility. Can it be done?
rbentnail
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Re: Tracks difficult to see

Post by rbentnail »

Why are you using a track instead of a route from a site called plotaroute :roll: ? I ask not to sound dickish but to recommend this thread -> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=178. It's for changing route themes- the colors, line widths, etc. on the 595. From what I learned in that thread I was able to easily download dozens of color schemes to try out. For me, some are excellent, others not so I just deleted the ones I didn't like. I'm not a tracks user- to me they are a useless function- unreadable, unmanageable, etc.- but routes are easily manipulated for the tech ignorant like me.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
ZumoPete
Has liked: 17 times
Australia

Post by ZumoPete »

Pesonally, I prefer tracks as then the Zumo can not change them.
Sure, I have to watch the Zumo, but that suits me.
Concerning track width, I have never been able to get a decent track width, even using the editing option with the customised themes, track width is still not wide enough.
Concerning track colour, this can only be set from the Zumo menu & is limited. I would like the bright Pink but it is not an option.

I'd love to know that I was doing something wrong so that tracks would show up better.

Cheers, peter.
TwoUpTourer
Australia

Post by TwoUpTourer »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:43 pm Why are you using a track instead of a route from a site called plotaroute :roll: ? I ask not to sound dickish but to recommend this thread -> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=178. It's for changing route themes- the colors, line widths, etc. on the 595. From what I learned in that thread I was able to easily download dozens of color schemes to try out. For me, some are excellent, others not so I just deleted the ones I didn't like. I'm not a tracks user- to me they are a useless function- unreadable, unmanageable, etc.- but routes are easily manipulated for the tech ignorant like me.
This is why I use tracks. There is no way that a route would work here, but tracks work perfectly. Although not obvious, there is actually a legal road where we are riding, visible in Google Maps, but not in Garmin Maps.

Plotaroute is a site that offers a range of maps from OSM through to the full Google Maps with aerial photography, in conjunction with excellent path creation tools, such that I can visually see where it is we want to go, through hills, forests, creek beds etc etc.
I have tried many, including Basecamp, and Plotaroute is a standout. Once created, the results can be exported in GPX format as either a route or a track. Now putting a track GPX onto a Montana or a Zumo XT results in a readable pink line. I've not found any way to do this on the 595, though the other post here indicates that importing an external theme might achieve it.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=178&p=1624#p1624

https://www.pinns.co.uk/osm/theme_editor.html

I do not use routes either and like tracks as you stated. The above should be the thread to getting a fatter line for your tracks. I has to do with themes and making some changes to the unit.....

I tried to post the files here but it di not take, I remember it took sometime to get it right so it can be done just do some research.
ZanderMan
Has liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by ZanderMan »

Here’s the method I stumbled upon to widen track widths…

1. ZUMO connected to computer, go to Computer\zumo 595\Internal Storage\Themes\Map
2. There is a file named Garmin.kmtf, open it with Notepad.
3. Almost at very bottom of the file, change the line
<STYLE field = "MAP_TRK_CLR" scale = "1.00" > to
<STYLE field = "MAP_TRK_CLR" scale = "100.0" >

The 100.0 can be any number above 1.00 to make the line thicker and easier to follow at speed. I saved the changes to filename ‘Thick’ to preserve the standard Garmin.kmtf file. Then select ‘Thick’ from the Garmin ‘Map Theme’ menu.

YT video (if allowed):
Last edited by ZanderMan on Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zumo 595 on a 2007 BMW F650GS
lkraus
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 109 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

It's been a while since I modified any themes, but in addition to changing the ktmf filename, I also had to change the title of the modified theme within the file, in the first few lines:

Code: Select all

<GARMIN_MAP_THEME>
<METADATA>
<TITLE>Widetrack</TITLE>
The TITLE becomes the name displayed on the Map Theme menu.
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

It is far easier to modify and create new theme files if you use the Jawawa Zumo - map colors tool.

https://www.javawa.nl/zumocolors.html

I'll also point out that I have a post in this sub-forum with a revised theme file that I modified to make the roads easier to see. I have been using that theme file for a few months now and it is a huge improvment for my eyes.

I modified it for my 590 and did not test it on a 595, so I can't say if there is any difference.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6